Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

[Fixed] Latest Google maps on Blackberry uninstalls MGMaps!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avernar
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject: [Fixed] Latest Google maps on Blackberry uninstalls MGMaps! Reply with quote

I just upgraded to Google Mobile Maps version 2.1.0 on my blackberry and after it rebooted the blackberry MGMaps was gone. I figured it was a one time glitch so I reinstalled MGMaps. Just to be sure I pulled the battery and rebooted. MGMaps was gone again! Evil or Very Mad

Boy am I mad at Google! So much for them not doing any evil. They have no right to uninstall other software from my blackberry. I am not even using Google map tiles.

To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps I went into the permissions for google maps and set "Module Management" to "Deny". Bastards.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lastest Google maps on Blackberry uninstalls MGMaps!!! Reply with quote

Wow, you are right!!! Thanks for discovering that Google Maps caused the "mysterious" removals of mgmaps...

Google Maps uninstalls any application that contains "gmaps" in its name. The purpose of their code is to remove older versions of google maps, but a side-effect is the fact they remove mgmaps. What if I name my application "FogMaps"? or "InterestingMapSystem"? They all contain "gmaps" in their names... I want to believe it's an unintentional error, but still it's an error in Google's application, not MGMaps. Shame on Google!

Additional rant: I thought Blackberry phones were designed with security in mind... How can you make a phone that allows a (signed) application to uninstall other applications without any confirmation? Shame on RIM/Blackberry!

avernar, I hope your solution works in all cases, I'm copying it here: To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps, go into the permissions for google maps (options/applications/google maps/edit permissions) and set "Module Management" or "Application Management" to "Deny".

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
keithwatson66
Junior

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried blocking modify modules and it didn’t work for me. By by Google Maps Mobile, I like Mobile Gmaps too much. I hopw Google will fix this.
avernar
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lastest Google maps on Blackberry uninstalls MGMaps!!! Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Additional rant: I thought Blackberry phones were designed with security in mind... How can you make a phone that allows a (signed) application to uninstall other applications without any confirmation? Shame on RIM/Blackberry!

I hope it was unintentional. But it's poor programming that they don't have a list of full names to uninstall instead of doing a pattern match.

As for the blackberry security, by default they can't. During install the app can raise it's permissions. Most people (like me) don't bother reviewing the settings for vendors they thought they could trust. There's a checkbox to alter the requested permissions before you download and install.
avernar
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithwatson66 wrote:
Tried blocking modify modules and it didn’t work for me. By by Google Maps Mobile, I like Mobile Gmaps too much. I hopw Google will fix this.
Could be your oddball firmware...
lotacus
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow! thank you for discovering that. You don't know how much I appreciate it. didn't think gmm would do something like that and didn't even cross my mind.
avernar
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The just release 2.2 version of Google maps still nukes mgmaps.

Has anyone sent a message to Google about this? I can't seem to find a why to send them feedback.
black-n-blue
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6265i

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I now have tried to even remove google maps, and I can install mgmaps, but the icon will not come back at all. After it installs and asks if I want to run it, I can, but if I exit and try to find it it's not there. I can't get the icon back at all? idea's?

Edit: Ok, my own stupidity... at some point the app was set to "hide", so each time I would install it would install, but "hide" the icon. Don't ask me how it got that way, but now we will see if the app will actually stay put.
wam
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia E75

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black-n-blue wrote:
Edit: Ok, my own stupidity... at some point the app was set to "hide", so each time I would install it would install, but "hide" the icon. Don't ask me how it got that way, but now we will see if the app will actually stay put.

I think the problem is still there. Everytime I run google maps MGMaps is totally removed from Blackberry 8310.
Tubesox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: [Fixed] Latest Google maps on Blackberry uninstalls MGMa Reply with quote

avernar wrote:
I just upgraded to Google Mobile Maps version 2.1.0 on my blackberry and after it rebooted the blackberry MGMaps was gone. I figured it was a one time glitch so I reinstalled MGMaps. Just to be sure I pulled the battery and rebooted. MGMaps was gone again! Evil or Very Mad

Boy am I mad at Google! So much for them not doing any evil. They have no right to uninstall other software from my blackberry. I am not even using Google map tiles.

To stop google maps from nuking MGMaps I went into the permissions for google maps and set "Module Management" to "Deny". Bastards.

lol... I thought I accidentally deleted it.
ash3rr
Junior

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has someone contacted Google about this?
I'm using the latest version with latitude and it's still removing my Gmaps
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ash3rr wrote:
Has someone contacted Google about this?
I'm using the latest version with latitude and it's still removing my Gmaps

I've no idea, Google usually ignores most of the contact messages anyway. I've been reading https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal/home/guidelines.seam?cid=11081 , maybe the launch of Blackberry App Store will make them change the app and stop removing mgmaps, there's a paragraph there "Applications [...] must not interfere with, degrade or adversely affect any software (including, without limitation, other third party applications)"

Until then, we need to make some major changes to MGMaps too to follow those guidelines. I think they will not allow MGMaps if it connects to Yahoo or Microsoft maps without their explicit permission, we also have to ask for user confirmation to use the data connection.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since several users requested it, here's a renamed version of MGMaps v1.39.18 to "MMaps", it is not removed by google maps.

mmaps_bb_1_39_20.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mmaps_bb_1_39_20.zip
 Filesize:  159.91 KB
 Downloaded:  3727 Time(s)

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
kstrouse
Junior

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Still troubleshooting Reply with quote

I'm running the application on a Bold. I'm not sure what the sequence of things has been. I had some trouble with the icon not showing up, and I followed a thread, installed a new version, and ran into that Google Maps removal problem. The application was working okay, as long as I didn't reboot the device. Each time I did that, the app would go missing and I'd have to reinstall it.
Tonight I just installed the above download MMaps. The application works okay, except I can't get it to see me. I installed it when the MGMaps app was still there, and I didn't have to repopulate the setup fields (I wonder if that's a problem.) I've refreshed my GPS several times, and rebooted (and it's still there). I keep getting a message to wait a few moments because it can't find the GPS signal. If this continues, I'll have to go back to the version that gets removed every time I boot the system up. Any advice?
ilcasalino
Junior

Phone Type: BB 8800

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: it doesn't work Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Since several users requested it, here's a renamed version of MGMaps v1.39.18 to "MMaps", it is not removed by google maps.

Hi, I've installed this version on my BB 8800 but it doesn't work.
I can't see any maps, my GPS is not found, I can't dowload the languages. I've checked all the autorization, what's wrong?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: it doesn't work Reply with quote

ilcasalino wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Hi, I've installed this version on my BB 8800 but it doesn't work.
I can't see any maps, my GPS is not found, I can't dowload the languages. I've checked all the autorization, what's wrong?

v1.39.19 fixes the GPS. If the (online) maps don't work, try to change the settings in Settings/Advanced/HTTP append.
kstrouse
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: On my BlackBerry Bold Reply with quote

In the end, I downloaded 1.41.18, which I think is the development version. It finds me and has been running very well for several months now. I think that I still had the Google Maps issue when I installed this version, so, in the end, I just uninstalled Google Maps. I don't have the nerve to install a different version of MGMaps, because it's working so well, or change any parameters, or reinstall Google Maps, which might have gotten smarter in the last few months.
kelnhofer

Phone Type: blackberry storm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Instalation of any ver. now gives me a 909 application error Reply with quote

Ok Now I realize the Google maps issues with gmaps but when I re-install any ver mgmaps on my Blackberry Storm I get a "909 application authentication failer" notice and I get kicked out!
ANY IDEAS?????????????????????????????? Evil or Very Mad
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Instalation of any ver. now gives me a 909 application e Reply with quote

kelnhofer wrote:
Ok Now I realize the Google maps issues with gmaps but when I re-install any ver mgmaps on my Blackberry Storm I get a "909 application authentication failer" notice and I get kicked out!
ANY IDEAS?????????????????????????????? Evil or Very Mad

I suppose you're installing online (over-the-air), try to install the application from the .alx/.cod files with the blackberry desktop manager. As for the version, use the stable code (v1.39.20).
mjleitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Any chance someone can post a "MMaps" (renamed) v1.39.21 for Blackberry, so I can install it along with Googlemaps without having Googlemaps remove it?

(I see there is such a renamed version for V1.39.20, however that version has a "u" key that doesn't work)

(I assume there is no way I can make a renamed version myself?)

...Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: