Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

MGMaps on Samsung i900 Omnia

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemyers
Power User

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: MGMaps on Samsung i900 Omnia Reply with quote

I've got a Samsung i900 Omnia, mostly to try out a Windows 6.1 phone, and learn how things work. This phone is similar in looks to an iphone, with a big screen on the front, no keyboard or keypad, and only an on-screen keyboard or keypad when needed for data entry.

I downloaded MGMaps and it installed with no problems. It was almost too easy. However, I'm not sure how to go on from there.

With my Nokia n95, I can bring up MGMaps on the screen, and use the appropriate keyboard controls to run MGMaps. It's very easy.

Next step is to change the settings for the GPS. When I go to GPS Settings, there are the following things listed for GPS Device:
None
Bluetooth
Serial
Internal
GPSGate

The default setting is "none".

Trying "internal" brings up the error message "Internal GPS Features are not available on this phone."

When I try GPSGate, it then says "GPS connectivity through GPSGate is only available on Windows Mobile Phones."

Since the Samsung Omnia is a Windows Mobile phone, and is supposed to have a built-in GPS, apparently I need to get this "GPSGate" function running. Is this a program I need to download, or a setting I need to turn on, or ??? I'll do a search on the 'net, but apparently I need this new utility before MGMaps can run.
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have an installed, but not yet fully set-up version of GPSGate on my Samsung i900 Omnia. I also have installed a copy of Mobile GMaps (from www.mgmaps.com).

When I run MGMaps, I need to set up the GPS
> Menu
> GPS
> Select Device

I click on Select Device and I have five choices:
None
Bluetooth
Serial
Internal
GPSGate

If I click "internal" I get the message "Internal GPS features are not available on this phone".

If I click "GPSGate" I get "GPS connectivity on GPSGate is only available on Windows Mobile Phones".

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume that I need to select GPSGate for MGMaps, and the last time I looked the Omnia is very much a Windows Mobile Phone, but how do I get the phone to recognize GPSGate?

Could this be because I haven't finished setting up GPSGate because of the port questions I've got, or is it something else?

I'm guessing that the phone somehow doesn't know it's running under Windows (unlikely), or it can't "find" my installed copy of GPSGate which I installed on the "device", not the "memory card" or the other possible locations.

How can I set MGMaps to "see" the GPSGate and accept it?
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have everything working except mgmaps.

Is there a special version for Windows mobile with touchscreen?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemyers wrote:
I now have everything working except mgmaps.

Is there a special version for Windows mobile with touchscreen?

No, there is no special version for touchscreen, but the generic version works (almost) fine. You can drag the map with your finger, and there are buttons for zooming in and out. The only problem is these buttons are tiny and it's not that easy to click... we'll try to do an update soon to fix that.
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please tell me how to select the best version. When I select gpsgate it tells me that is only for windows mobile, but that is what I have and need. I must have somehow downloaded the wrong version, or it has amnesia and doesn't remember it is a windows version.
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I wasn't too clear on the above.

I think I just downloaded the "generic" version, as I couldn't find something that said it was specifically for Windows Mobile. Since it mostly works, I assumed it was the right version - how can I tell what I've actually installed?

If it really is the Windows version, I've read what you said up above about the buttons, but why won't it accept my choice of GPSGate? It's telling me that's only for Windows Mobile, which means MGMaps thinks it's not on a Windows phone? It won't accept the serial port option either.

Something is quite confused.

Everything with the Nokia n95 was so much easier!!!!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemyers wrote:
please tell me how to select the best version. When I select gpsgate it tells me that is only for windows mobile, but that is what I have and need. I must have somehow downloaded the wrong version, or it has amnesia and doesn't remember it is a windows version.

Ah, so it doesn't detect that the phone has windows mobile? Do you have a supported JVM like JBed or IBM J9? Try to send me a report with Help/Report Problem so that I can check what JVM you have.
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this is correct - the program doesn't seem to be able to detect much of anything, probably due to the phone, not MGMaps.

I'll try to figure out what you just said. Until now, I've never heard of "JVM", "JBed", or "IBM J9", although I think I've seen them in various places on the 'net.

I think I did find a "help" program on the phone, but I think it only sends reports to Microsoft. How would I get the phone to send you a report with "Help/Report Problem"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off the record, this phone is maddeningly frustrating. It's "Windows" I guess, but there are no tools to figure out what's going on. It tried to connect to the internet via GPRS for no apparent reason, whenever it wants to, and there's no way I've found to figure out what it's doing, much less why. Software that supposedly should install on it just doesn't work. I'm beginning to hate Windows Mobile, compared to the simplicity of using the Nokia n95. I'm not about to give up yet, hoping that I'll end up learning enough so this won't be so frustrating in the future, but there are times I'd like to throw the phone as far as I could off a mountain top and see it self destruct into a zillion bits and pieces... Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, back to being reasonable. I'll do some searching around for the things you mentioned, and see if I can either figure out what I've got, or how to get it to send you a report. I'm guessing this will be useful to you as well, as anyone else with a Samsung i900 Omnia is likely to have similar problems.
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's way too much information - ignore anything that isn't helpful...

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 2100
HSDPA 850 / 1900 - American version
Announced 2008, June
Status Available. Released 2008, July
Size Dimensions 112 x 56.9 x 12.5 mm
Weight 122 g
Display Type TFT touchscreen, 256K colors (65K effective)
Size 240 x 400 pixels, 3.2 inches
- Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
- Optical trackpad
- Handwriting recognition
Ringtones Type Polyphonic, MP3
Customization Download
Vibration Yes
Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
Call records Practically unlimited
Card slot microSD (TransFlash), up to 8GB, buy memory
- 128 MB RAM, 256 MB ROM
- 624MHz Marvell PXA312 processor
- 8 GB/16 GB internal memory
Data GPRS Class 12 (4+1/3+2/2+3/1+4 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
HSCSD No
EDGE Class 12
3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP
Infrared port No
USB Yes, v2.0
Features OS Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional
Messaging SMS, EMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds
Games Yes + Java downloadable, order now
Colors Modern Black
Camera 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, image stabiliser, video, flash; secondary videocall camera
- Built-in GPS receiver with A-GPS support
- Java MIDP 2.0
- FM Radio with RDS
- Pocket Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, PDF viewer)
- MP3/AAC/AAC+/WMA/OGG/AMR player
- DivX/XviD/WMV/MP4 player
- TV Out
- Voice memo
- Built-in handsfree
Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1440 mAh
Stand-by Up to 500 h
Talk time Up to 5 h 50 min
mikemyers
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually good about finding stuff on the 'net, but maybe I just don't know enough to look in the right places. I know the phone has Java, and I know that the MGMaps application once installed on the phone can be found after you click on "JAVA", but noplace can I find anything more about the Java stuff.

For that matter, I don't have any idea what to do to "get" the error reporting to go to you. I think it just goes to Microsoft. The more I do this, the more I realize how much more there is to learn...
brasavid
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this:

for my HTC x7510 i decided for

Esmertec Jbed 20071119 3.1 3dMod HeapSizeFix 20080217 WM5

it works fine:

works with the latest version of MGmaps 1.41.03 (so i can select full screen nad it works)

works with internet

works with stored maps (tip: need to type manually Memory card/MGmapsCache; the Browse function doesn't work)

works wit internal GPS (tip: needs GpsPort in background and i use alsoTurboGPS in bacground to keep the display always on. In GPS settings of Mgmaps 1.41.03 i select GPSGate)

So the only bad news is display. Its 320x240 interpolated to 640x480.
It's a pitty. But that's how it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: