Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Using Garmin GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul01

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Using Garmin GPS Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. Hoping this is the correct forum for the problem.

I recently purchased a url]http://puregizmo.com/garmin-gps-receivers/p.grm0033100.shtml[/url] Garmin GPS When I went to the Garmin website to register it (warranty) I was prevented from doing so by Garmin's site which says that you can only use Windows or Mac. I called customer service and was told that they provide no assistance for Linux (no surprise, right!)

Garmin will provide a free update of their maps, but ONLY if the unit is registered on-line. And at this point I'm prevented from doing so.

Even so, I cannot download updated maps, newer firmware, and other features to the GPS since it first requires downloading and installing some small Garmin applications. Those are then used to get and load the maps into the Garmin (via USB).

Has anyone had any success updating a Garmin GPS using SuSE? I hate to say this but I am considering the unthinkable -- installing Windoze as a dual-boot. I really do not want to put Windoze on any of my computers as my home have been Windoze-free for about 10 years. But...

I searched these openSuSE forums but found no help. I also Googled "Linux and Garmin GPS" and "SuSE Garmin GPS" but found only some references to programs to create one's own maps. I don't want to do that. I only want to be able to access the Garmin website, register my unit, and periodically get updates into my GPS.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Can anyone help?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite offtopic for these forums... Try forums about standalone GPS devices, for instance gpsdiscussion.com or gpspassion.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: