Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Enlarged coarse bitmap instead of "tile n/a" msg?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hush

Phone Type: SE C905

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Enlarged coarse bitmap instead of "tile n/a" msg? Reply with quote

Hello from Croatia!

And thanks for an excellent program! Everything works "as advertised" on my SE C905, no problems whatsoever (except waiting for maps to download, but that's another story... Confused ).

Now, about my suggestion - it's probably not hard to implement, as it's already built-in (kind of). As everyone knows, when you zoom in on your map, there's that momentary coarse blow-up of previous zoom level while the new tiles are loaded and then the image clears up with new details. That's fine and looks good - until you're past maximum zoom range of your map and the blow-up is abruptly replaced with the famous "Map tile not available..." background image.

Well, I've been thinking... how about leaving the enlarged "coarse" bitmap on the screen (or some option to enable/disable such behavior) instead of showing n/a message when you're just one step past maximum zoom? Some of the supported devices have very small screens and this additional blow-up step (as coarse as it is) could be much more useful than "n/a" message (it could be indicated with a small "X" icon on top or something similar instead).
Duv
Junior

Phone Type: LG Cookie (KP500)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me second this. Shouldn't be hard to make.
jur
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6600 Slide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Enlarged coarse bitmap instead of "tile n/a" m Reply with quote

hush wrote:
Hello from Croatia!

And thanks for an excellent program! Everything works "as advertised" on my SE C905, no problems whatsoever (except waiting for maps to download, but that's another story... Confused ).

Now, about my suggestion - it's probably not hard to implement, as it's already built-in (kind of). As everyone knows, when you zoom in on your map, there's that momentary coarse blow-up of previous zoom level while the new tiles are loaded and then the image clears up with new details. That's fine and looks good - until you're past maximum zoom range of your map and the blow-up is abruptly replaced with the famous "Map tile not available..." background image.

Well, I've been thinking... how about leaving the enlarged "coarse" bitmap on the screen (or some option to enable/disable such behavior) instead of showing n/a message when you're just one step past maximum zoom? Some of the supported devices have very small screens and this additional blow-up step (as coarse as it is) could be much more useful than "n/a" message (it could be indicated with a small "X" icon on top or something similar instead).

Hmm.. you're right, it shouldn't be too hard to implement, I'll try to add it in a future version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: