Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mgmaps for Android
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkhandke
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Mgmaps for Android Reply with quote

Is there any plan to make this software compatible with android?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mgmaps for t-mobile g1/ HTC dream (android platform) Reply with quote

pkhandke wrote:
Is there any plan to make this software compatible with android?

MGMaps is compatible with most J2ME platforms, but Android is not J2ME. There are a few attempts to make J2ME apps run on Android, but none is complete yet -- http://microemu.blogspot.com/2008/11/running-java-me-applications-on-android.html, http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/j2ab. If/when they are completely functional, maybe it will work to compile MGMaps into an apk application. We also plan to create a "native" Android application, but can't give you any time estimates.
pkhandke
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks a LOT Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaakl reported that MGMaps works fine on Android / the G1 using Netmite J2ME VM -- http://www.netmite.com/android/index.html -- can anyone confirm?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
jaakl reported that MGMaps works fine on Android / the G1 using Netmite J2ME VM -- http://www.netmite.com/android/index.html -- can anyone confirm?

I can confirm it works in the Android emulator... well, sort-of works. The checkboxes in the menu cannot be clicked, also GPS is not available yet.
t3mp3st

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

I can confirm it works in the Android emulator... well, sort-of works. The checkboxes in the menu cannot be clicked, also GPS is not available yet.

The availability of GPS - is that based on the android platform or your development of the software? If the latter, any expectation as to when GPS will be available?

I just got my G1 and I've been searching endlessly to try to find a program that uses stored maps on my SDcard along with GPS to plot me on the map without a data plan. This has been the closest thing i can find thus far in my search so I am eagerly awaiting the GPS functionality! Very Happy
dmytro
Developer

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8130

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fund the project and perhaps it will be available for Android in the future Very Happy ...I mean Donate.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t3mp3st wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

The availability of GPS - is that based on the android platform or your development of the software? If the latter, any expectation as to when GPS will be available?

Neither. Both the Android platform and my software have support for GPS, but what's between them doesn't. That is, the J2ME VM that I wrote above (Netmite) does not support GPS yet... I'm sure they're working on it though.
thazlett
MGMapper

Phone Type: HTC Touch Diamond/Pro - I have both!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any updates on the android gps support? i think this is the only thing stopping me using my g1 just yet. mgmaps is a must for me!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
any updates on the android gps support? i think this is the only thing stopping me using my g1 just yet. mgmaps is a must for me!

Well, the latest version of netmite does seem to support location API / GPS, I'm just unable to convert MGMaps to an APK package as their server seems to be broken. Will try again later...
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news about netmite. I however seem to have a strange problem with it. Mgmaps won't launch on my g1. Just tries to run it and then closes like nothings happened. Not sure what it could be. I am using cupcake so maybe there a compatibility issue here?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
That's good news about netmite. I however seem to have a strange problem with it. Mgmaps won't launch on my g1. Just tries to run it and then closes like nothings happened. Not sure what it could be. I am using cupcake so maybe there a compatibility issue here?

I'm unable to install MGMaps in the latest version of Netmite in the emulator, which is supposed to include support for GPS too. I'll try again in a few days, maybe it gets fixed.
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any luck?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
any luck?

Not yet, I'm unable to use their conversion tool to convert jad/jar to apk...
pkhandke
Junior

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: MG maps on android Reply with quote

It seems netmite.com server is giving page time out because conversion is taking time. Is there any other way to create apk file.

Is it possible for you to create android project and use refactor option to make method and class name android SDK compatible. We can try to help you in testing this application.

You can put this application on android market. There are lots of guys (including me) waiting to purchase this application. But it should support maps from SD card and GPS 
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: MG maps on android Reply with quote

pkhandke wrote:
It seems netmite.com server is giving page time out because conversion is taking time. Is there any other way to create apk file.

Is it possible for you to create android project and use refactor option to make method and class name android SDK compatible. We can try to help you in testing this application.

I don't think it's that easy. Netmite is our best option so far, another possibility would be to use J2MEPolish, as they have created Android wrappers for J2ME calls so it is possible to compile the same application for J2me and for Android.

pkhandke wrote:
You can put this application on android market. There are lots of guys (including me) waiting to purchase this application. But it should support maps from SD card and GPS 

Yeah, maybe that will happen in version 2.0, until then we need to fix some issues -- licensing issues, compatibility problems, more licensing issues... Smile
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anymore news on this Cristian? Confused
tekihyaku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: MGMaps Lib SDK Reply with quote

Can we use it ?

http://www.nutiteq.com/libsdk.html
http://www.nutiteq.com/system/files/maps-lib-android_1_0_0.zip
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Hero Reply with quote

Well i just got a hero and update the rom with 1 from xda developers. In this rom is a new JBED for android. Mgmaps runs in this, however it "runs out of memory" and closes before i can really go and test it properly. The gps icon is there at the top so i guess it has detects a gps device, and it has internet access because it starts downloading the maps when it starts.

Anyone else done this and had a memory problem with it?
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Update#
There is a low memory option in the map browsing menu. I denied the net access permissions so the memory wouldn't get used up with maps being downloaded, ticked the option and now i don't get that memory error when the maps are downloaded after allowing the net access again. I can confirm mgmaps works fine:) gps and stored maps included!

Just need to get hold of the apk for jbed. Cool

##
have attached the apk , however it seems there are dependencies that it needs. So you maybe need to just have to use the hero roms available from xda developers.

##edit -16/9/09
The java app for android is now available properly so here is a link to the file and instructions....

http://home.leakdroid.com/2009/08/31/java-app-for-android/comment-page-1/

xda developers thread;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553803

Jbed.rar
 Description:
Jbed from my Hero

Download
 Filename:  Jbed.rar
 Filesize:  527 KB
 Downloaded:  1958 Time(s)

Last edited by thazlett on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: