Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

[Fixed] [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mafatofu

Phone Type: HTC Touch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: [Fixed] [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS Reply with quote

Hi.
First of all, thanks for this great program.

I'm using HTC Touch and trying to use stored map on the memory card.
Earlier, I could use stored map by setting the path 'Memory card/MGmapsCache', but not any more after I upgrded to latest version of MGMAP. I am trying several variations of the path, but no luck so far.

So, I tried several MGMAP version + several Jbed, but so far could not find any working combination. I believe I tried all of other users from this forum recommanded.

Let me list up problem I see.

1. Stored map cannot be accessed. No error message on log.

2. On GPS setup, I use GPSPort. GPSport works OK, but in MGMAP, serial port choice does not work. It says there is no serial port.

3. Internal GPS works.

4. When I tried to browse, it shows 'StorageCard\', and does not show any sub folder. So, I can't really click on exact path.

So, to summarize, I have 2 problems; NO stored map access and NO external GPS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mafa
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS Reply with quote

mafatofu wrote:
Hi.
First of all, thanks for this great program.

I'm using HTC Touch and trying to use stored map on the memory card.
Earlier, I could use stored map by setting the path 'Memory card/MGmapsCache', but not any more after I upgrded to latest version of MGMAP. I am trying several variations of the path, but no luck so far.

So, I tried several MGMAP version + several Jbed, but so far could not find any working combination. I believe I tried all of other users from this forum recommanded.

Let me list up problem I see.

1. Stored map cannot be accessed. No error message on log.

2. On GPS setup, I use GPSPort. GPSport works OK, but in MGMAP, serial port choice does not work. It says there is no serial port.

3. Internal GPS works.

4. When I tried to browse, it shows 'StorageCard\', and does not show any sub folder. So, I can't really click on exact path.

So, to summarize, I have 2 problems; NO stored map access and NO external GPS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mafa

Hi,

I have an HTC Touch Diamond and I've recently tested these issues. Here's a quick updated tutorial:

1) install GPSPortPPC.exe from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403
2) install the latest JBed (20090217) from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403
3) unpack the latest MGMaps archive, copy the jad and jar files to your phone (the patch is included in v1.39.21 and v1.42.01 and later)
4) run GPSPort
5) run JBed, choose Install->Local Files, it will find MGMaps, install it then offer to run it
6) MGMaps settings/GPS/Select Device/GPSGate, then save the settings
EDIT: 7) Enable stored maps (MGMaps settings/Map browsing/enable stored maps, offline mode), configure stored maps path -- if "Browse" doesn't show any folders enter the path manually, for instance "Storage Card/MGMapsCache" or "Internal Storage/MGMapsCache" or "MemoryCard/MGMapsCache".

The patch attached is needed because older versions of MGMaps do not detect windows mobile correctly. The info above will be included in a more detailed updated tutorial for Windows Mobile.

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:41 am; edited 4 times in total
mafatofu

Phone Type: HTC Touch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian ,

Thanks for your clear explanation. This time, I managed it to work.

I followed your directiont to setup GPSport, Jbed and MGMAP.

At the first try, it did not work. More specifically, I could set to GPSgate option with no trouble, but when I hit 'Where am I' menu, MGMap exclaimed that GPS is not working.

Well, I tried some other application which utilizes GPSport. After comfirming that the other application is working fine with GPSport. I launched MGMAP again, and, here we go. MGMAP can get data from GPSport. I can locate myself using external GPS.

Regarding accessing stored map, I just clicked on 'Browes'. It gave 'MemoryCard/' and still no sub directory. I manually typed 'MGMapsCache' string which matches with my actual directory name. After saving the setup, I can use my stored map.

Many thanks to Cristian !!!!!!
ThM
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: names too small Reply with quote

It works for me also on my Diamond2 (800x480 screen) except that the names on the cards are so small that I can't read them.
When I zoom up or down, I can see the names at a size which I can read for half a second while the map is re-drawn and then back to the tiny size...
The menu is also very small, but I can manage (although barely).

I tried to check/uncheck the "Small Polices" setting but that does not seem to change anything (except the location of the menu).

Nice job, if only I could read the names ...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: names too small Reply with quote

ThM wrote:
It works for me also on my Diamond2 (800x480 screen) except that the names on the cards are so small that I can't read them.
When I zoom up or down, I can see the names at a size which I can read for half a second while the map is re-drawn and then back to the tiny size...
The menu is also very small, but I can manage (although barely).

I tried to check/uncheck the "Small Polices" setting but that does not seem to change anything (except the location of the menu).

Nice job, if only I could read the names ...

There's another setting in MGMaps v1.4x called "Double Size", it should show everything larger.
ThM
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo. Works very well. I can now read the names.

Thanks a lot.
MAC

Phone Type: HTC Touch HD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: HTC HD Touch Offline Reply with quote

I am using an HTC HD Touch and was having problems connecting to the internal GPS receiver and viewing the stored maps. I followed Cristian's approach, got the GPS working, but still cannot view the cached files. I appear to be pointing to the corection location on my storage card. Any other suggestions.
Harlquinth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Here's a quick updated tutorial:

1) install GPSPortPPC.exe from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403
2) install the latest JBed (20090217) from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403
3) unpack the attached MGMaps archive, copy the jad and jar files to your phone (the patch will be included in v1.39.21 and v1.42.01 when they are released)
4) run GPSPort
5) run JBed, choose Install->Local Files, it will find MGMaps, install it then offer to run it
6) MGMaps settings/GPS/Select Device/GPSGate, then save the settings
EDIT: 7) Enable stored maps (MGMaps settings/Map browsing/enable stored maps, offline mode), configure stored maps path -- if "Browse" doesn't show any folders enter the path manually, for instance "Storage Card/MGMapsCache" or "Internal Storage/MGMapsCache" or "MemoryCard/MGMapsCache".

The patch attached is needed because older versions of MGMaps do not detect windows mobile correctly. The info above will be included in a more detailed updated tutorial for Windows Mobile.

Hi,

Thanks for the instructions - I've been having problems installing using the files that were attached however, when I try installing them it comes up with this error message:
"The root certificate used for Mobile GMaps cannot be found. -56
Please contact the application provider for more information."
Is there a way round this problem?

Thanks, Peter.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS Reply with quote

Harlquinth wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the instructions - I've been having problems installing using the files that were attached however, when I try installing them it comes up with this error message:

Thanks, Peter.

I guess the version of JBed that you are trying does not have the root certificates... Try to install the unsigned version of MGMaps from the unsigned jad (replace the signed jad with the unsigned one then re-run the installation in jbed).
Harlquinth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: [HTC Touch] Cannot use stored map and external GPS Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Harlquinth wrote:
Hi,

Thanks, Peter.

I guess the version of JBed that you are trying does not have the root certificates... Try to install the unsigned version of MGMaps from the unsigned jad (replace the signed jad with the unsigned one then re-run the installation in jbed).

Hi Cristian,

I just installed the version that it said in the instructions, "2) install the latest JBed (20090217) from http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403".

Where is the unsigned version - does it have the patch needed so that it detects windows mobile properly?

Thanks, Peter.
MAC

Phone Type: HTC Touch HD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Acessing tored maps Reply with quote

I previously tried the version mgmaps-1_42_01-alpha2.zip but this did not work with the stored maps. I have now tried mgmaps-1_39_21-alpha1.zip but while the browse option to the appropriate subdirectory worked well and it will now download over a wireless link it still will not allow me to acces the stored maps. Any ideas?

Mike
Liteace
MGMapper

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8110

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, sorry to drag up this old post but it was the only one I could find that was related to WM6.5. I have here a new LG GM750 (Vodafone) Windows mobile touchscreen I have followed the step buy step instructions for the HTC Touch Diamond above, when I run the GPSPort (GpsPortPPC.zip) software it gives me the options of:

Com3
Com6
Com7
Com8
Com9

With output:

When I click on “start” I get a faint “listening” appear. I then launch the MGMaps program from the “e” java icon in programs, then:

MGMaps settings/GPS/Select Device/GPSGate, & save

And then:

settings/Map browsing/enable stored maps, offline mode

The "Browse" does show so I click on it and direct it to mem card then MGMapsCache. Every time I zoom in or move the map just slightly it asks:

Untrusted application mobile GMaps wants to read data located on this device or removable media attached to this device. Do you allow read user data?

I have to click yes, upto 10-15 times.
The other problem is that it will not find any GPS satellites, in the setting menu of the phone I have the options of:

Standalone GPS or assisted GPS

I understand that assisted GPS requires a network connection and that’s what I don’t want. I did read on a LG GM750 forum (I don’t know if im allowed to post the link here) that this phone uses COM5 @4800 baud but that does not come up in the GPS port program, can someone help me out here as Ive had it working on my BB Pearl and would love to get it working on this phone as it is all screen

Thanks
Steve

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: