Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Motorola VE66 and MGMaps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Development version 1.40
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeppelin
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Motorola VE66 and MGMaps Reply with quote

Hello everyone and Christian nice piece of software. Maybe you should open source it that way you would get much more help imHo.

Anyways, so I am trying your software on this Linux WebOS of Motorola VE66. Apart from the fact that it will go crazy with exceptions if you install the app in the SD, everything else works nicely (I even tried the offline maps and that rocks!)

So why I write to the forum?? First to thank you and second to ask you why and what I can do to my motorola to accept the singed version (else if I have the unsigned I always get asked for file permission) and that's not a good experience for your software. Funny thing even Google has such problems http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=73912a7d09744277&hl=en

Needless to say I've tried even the specific Motorola version with no success. I'm willing to install whatever hack there is (I've tired the reg.txt thingy but doesn't apply to my phone at all)

The tutorial you have on offline maps is EXCELLENT (a bit crazy when it explain the Ctrl+A to copy the files and everyone gets lost but okay Razz) What can we do to avoid this file permission prompt? Maybe use one big file (such as tar or whatever) that would make also copying faster. Have you considered that?

Oh and where is the paypal donate button? Smile

Have fun from Greece hope we'll find a solution on this thingy
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Motorola VE66 and MGMaps Reply with quote

zeppelin wrote:
Hello everyone and Christian nice piece of software. Maybe you should open source it that way you would get much more help imHo.

https://svn.mgmaps.com

zeppelin wrote:
Anyways, so I am trying your software on this Linux WebOS of Motorola VE66. Apart from the fact that it will go crazy with exceptions if you install the app in the SD, everything else works nicely (I even tried the offline maps and that rocks!)

So why I write to the forum?? First to thank you and second to ask you why and what I can do to my motorola to accept the singed version (else if I have the unsigned I always get asked for file permission) and that's not a good experience for your software. Funny thing even Google has such problems http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=73912a7d09744277&hl=en

Needless to say I've tried even the specific Motorola version with no success. I'm willing to install whatever hack there is (I've tired the reg.txt thingy but doesn't apply to my phone at all)

The tutorial you have on offline maps is EXCELLENT (a bit crazy when it explain the Ctrl+A to copy the files and everyone gets lost but okay Razz) What can we do to avoid this file permission prompt? Maybe use one big file (such as tar or whatever) that would make also copying faster. Have you considered that?

Maybe get the Verisign root certificate somehow on the phone? I've no idea if/how you can do that, but since it's linux-based maybe you can hack it somehow Smile There must be some other file to edit and just have the phone think the app is "trusted".

zeppelin wrote:
Oh and where is the paypal donate button? Smile

Try here: http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1180
zeppelin
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know you've open source it. Nice I hope you do get much more help Smile

it's not obvius that you one needs Verisign root certificate for the app to work.

I've tried accessing www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/support/rootcert/getrootcert.cer from my mobile and all it does is download getrootcert.cer file and then can't run it Razz

My mobile has 4 certificates (and no way to install a new one apparently):
getotrust ca for uti
and three motorola pki

About the file thing, if I install in sd your application gives a lot of exceptions (tell me where you store the log file to give them to you) so I can't see if there is such a file or whatever. if I install in Phone I can't access the folder (not sure where it gets installed I've looked everywhere) from USB Mass Storage.

It's really a pity. What about reading one big file OR keeping one byte stream reader open always and read whatever you like so at least all we with such problems get only asked once or twice at the startup of the application and then work fine?

Thanks

ps. paypal button should be more visible and the fact that your app is now gpl2
zeppelin
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enjoy Google help:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=78526

just download and install .cert files! Razz
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeppelin wrote:
enjoy Google help:

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=78526

just download and install .cert files! Razz

Nice, did it work on your phone?

zeppelin wrote:
It's really a pity. What about reading one big file OR keeping one byte stream reader open always and read whatever you like so at least all we with such problems get only asked once or twice at the startup of the application and then work fine?

A big file is not good for a general solution because of limitations regarding file access on various phones... It would also mean keeping an index of tiles location -- could be a filesystem built into the file if the file is e.g. a zip or a tar archive but then you'd get slower access to the tile because that index has to be read and searched too. For now I believe the tile storage system is ok.
zeppelin
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I was beeing sarcastic. .cert files won't get install that easy of course ;(

I understand the problems with read a big single file but it overcomes a lot of problems concerning permissions that tons of users face
zeppelin
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the keeps asking me read/write is fixed this way (HOORAY!)

http://www.modmymoto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3888079#post3888079
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Development version 1.40 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: