Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GPS problem for blackberry 9700

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xatan.cssc
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: GPS problem for blackberry 9700 Reply with quote

I am using MGMaps on my 9700, but it does not work perfectly on my 9700. I am using 9700 without a dataplan, and so I use MGMaps in offline mode only.

Whenever I disable Yahoo Map and enabled Google in the option, it always automatically restored. And the first map I get when I open MGMaps is always Yahoo Map instead of Google Map. I have to rename all the google map folders to yahoomap to make them displayed correctly.

Another problem bothers me is that the GPS function (including "where am I") does not work. The function doesn't even try to locate my position. I assume that if mgmap tries to use GPS, it should spend sometime scanning the satellites. Instead, it just responds GPS doesn't work promptly.

Could somebody give me some tips? I hope the problem is only my configuration and using of MGMaps.
DavidOttawa
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310, 9700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using MgMaps version 1.39.21 on my Blackberry 9700 and it works great. Press space bar to get menu. Then select Settings. Under Map Browsing, check boxes "Stored Maps" and "Offline Mode". Click "Storage Path" and select Browse from list, then browse to the location on your SDCard device where you installed the map tiles from your PC. Mine is SDCard/BlackBerry/MGMapsCache. Save the path.

Still in the Settings menu, choose Map Types. Click on Yahoo Maps to expand, then clear all the check boxes. Click Not Available (Google) to expand, then select Google Maps. Save.

Still in the Settings menu, choose GPS, then Select Device. Select Internal, and Assisted GPS (not sure if the latter does anything). Save. Then select Mobile Tracking, select Show Marker, Move Map, Move at Startup. My refresh interval is 3 seconds, auto-enable interval is 30 seconds.

In the Settings menu, choose Advanced. GPS Read Line Method is "New Method". MIDP 2.0 Support is Auto-Detect.

After these changes, you may need to exit MgMaps and restart. Make sure you are outside when you start the GPS so it can find the satellites. If you are in a city with tall buildings, it may take 60 seconds to get a location. The maps should jump to your location. If the display shows red X's and "map tile not available", either you don't have the map tiles installed for your location, or you are zoomed in too much. Try zooming out (letter O key). If you installed the map of the world as I describe in my tutorial http://www.mgmaps.com/stored/, you should eventually see a map. Also press the number 0 key to cycle between map types. You should see "Google Maps" at the bottom left of the display.

I have read on this forum that some US phone carriers prohibit the use of the GPS by third party applications. Check the forums for your carrier. Mine is Rogers and the GPS works great.

Good luck.
xatan.cssc
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, David Ottawa,

Thank you for your patient reply.

The only differences from my settings to yours are that I use a different location to store maps, and I don't use A-GPS because I don't have a data plan.

I can browse maps in mgmaps, and so I think the map location is not a problem. I also try to turn on A-GPS, but it doesn't help.

The problem is that there is no icon of GPS shown on the top right of the main screen of mgmap, where it is supposed to be there.

When I go outside, I can actually use the GPS refreshing in the phone advanced setting to locate my position, although it takes 10 minutes to do so.

I did delete my services from my service book to make sure that I don't get charged for any unwanted data service. This might be a reason.

Anyway, thank you for all the details.

DavidOttawa wrote:
I am using MgMaps version 1.39.21 on my Blackberry 9700 and it works great. Press space bar to get menu. Then select Settings. Under Map Browsing, check boxes "Stored Maps" and "Offline Mode". Click "Storage Path" and select Browse from list, then browse to the location on your SDCard device where you installed the map tiles from your PC. Mine is SDCard/BlackBerry/MGMapsCache. Save the path.

Still in the Settings menu, choose Map Types. Click on Yahoo Maps to expand, then clear all the check boxes. Click Not Available (Google) to expand, then select Google Maps. Save.

Still in the Settings menu, choose GPS, then Select Device. Select Internal, and Assisted GPS (not sure if the latter does anything). Save. Then select Mobile Tracking, select Show Marker, Move Map, Move at Startup. My refresh interval is 3 seconds, auto-enable interval is 30 seconds.

In the Settings menu, choose Advanced. GPS Read Line Method is "New Method". MIDP 2.0 Support is Auto-Detect.

After these changes, you may need to exit MgMaps and restart. Make sure you are outside when you start the GPS so it can find the satellites. If you are in a city with tall buildings, it may take 60 seconds to get a location. The maps should jump to your location. If the display shows red X's and "map tile not available", either you don't have the map tiles installed for your location, or you are zoomed in too much. Try zooming out (letter O key). If you installed the map of the world as I describe in my tutorial http://www.mgmaps.com/stored/, you should eventually see a map. Also press the number 0 key to cycle between map types. You should see "Google Maps" at the bottom left of the display.

I have read on this forum that some US phone carriers prohibit the use of the GPS by third party applications. Check the forums for your carrier. Mine is Rogers and the GPS works great.

Good luck.
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of MgMaps are you using? 1.39.21 works on the Blackberry. 1.40 and 1.41 do not, particularly the GPS.
xatan.cssc
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.39.21 built on Aug 21, 2009
do you have a data plan with your bb?
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a full data plan and use BES. However I only use MgMaps in offline mode. I have used it in places where there is no wireless coverage. I checked Menu / Help / Download Meter, and it says 0 bytes downloaded, so it is not using the wireless network. I also turned off the wireless radio and ran MgMaps, and the GPS locked on correctly.

You mentioned that you tried Blackberry Options / Advanced Options / GPS, then Menu / Refresh GPS, and it took 10 minutes to get a location? Mine takes about 10 seconds to get 7 satellites while inside a house. Is it possible that your GPS is defective?

It is possible to test another GPS application without a data plan. I turned off the wireless radio while connected to a WiFi network. I then ran BlackBerry Maps, selected Start GPS Navigation, and it found my location within 10 seconds. This will test your hardware using BlackBerry software. If BB Maps works, but MgMaps does not, that tells us something.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidOttawa wrote:
Yes I have a full data plan and use BES. However I only use MgMaps in offline mode. I have used it in places where there is no wireless coverage. I checked Menu / Help / Download Meter, and it says 0 bytes downloaded, so it is not using the wireless network. I also turned off the wireless radio and ran MgMaps, and the GPS locked on correctly.

You mentioned that you tried Blackberry Options / Advanced Options / GPS, then Menu / Refresh GPS, and it took 10 minutes to get a location? Mine takes about 10 seconds to get 7 satellites while inside a house. Is it possible that your GPS is defective?

No, that's the AGPS. You will not get a position fix indoors unless you have assisted GPS (or very thin walls/roof Smile ). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

DavidOttawa wrote:
It is possible to test another GPS application without a data plan. I turned off the wireless radio while connected to a WiFi network. I then ran BlackBerry Maps, selected Start GPS Navigation, and it found my location within 10 seconds. This will test your hardware using BlackBerry software. If BB Maps works, but MgMaps does not, that tells us something.

OK, but you still had network connectivity and that means you still had some kind of assisted GPS available. MGMaps can also work with the WiFi network (Settings/Advanced/HTTP extension should be set to ";deviceside=true;interface=wifi")
xatan.cssc
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted Blackberry GPSs because it required a registration with the blackberry server, and it didn't work on my phone.

I will try to find another software using internal GPS only, and see how it works.

Thank you for the clarification.
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to be argumentative, Christian, but it found 7 satellites. Canadian houses are made of wood (and lots of insulation in the ceiling). The same trick does not work in my stone and steel office building. It worked in the Eurostar, though (300 km/hr!).

I noticed the wifi option on the advanced settings. I assume that Stored Maps mode will not use the wifi? In any case, can you suggest a test for xatan.cssc to test his GPS functionality?

Regarding AGPS, I am not sure that the Blackberry 9700 is using it natively. When I use BB Maps, it takes 10-20 seconds to get a location. When I use Google Maps for the Blackberry, it immediately finds an approximate location, presumably using the cell towers, then later narrows the uncertainty radius when it finds the GPS satellites. When I disable Location Aiding in the Blackberry GPS options, Google Maps still finds an approximate location while awaiting the GPS, so Google must provide their own service.
xatan.cssc
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 9700 is an unlocked T-mobile, and my carrier is ATT.

I kept only the service book for tcp/ip and mms. I wonder whether the GPs needs any service protocol to provide the interface with third-party software.

David, could you send me a backup of your whole service book? If you prefer, I can give you my email.

Thank you both very much.

DavidOttawa wrote:
I don't mean to be argumentative, Christian, but it found 7 satellites. Canadian houses are made of wood (and lots of insulation in the ceiling). The same trick does not work in my stone and steel office building. It worked in the Eurostar, though (300 km/hr!).

I noticed the wifi option on the advanced settings. I assume that Stored Maps mode will not use the wifi? In any case, can you suggest a test for xatan.cssc to test his GPS functionality?

Regarding AGPS, I am not sure that the Blackberry 9700 is using it natively. When I use BB Maps, it takes 10-20 seconds to get a location. When I use Google Maps for the Blackberry, it immediately finds an approximate location, presumably using the cell towers, then later narrows the uncertainty radius when it finds the GPS satellites. When I disable Location Aiding in the Blackberry GPS options, Google Maps still finds an approximate location while awaiting the GPS, so Google must provide their own service.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidOttawa wrote:

Ah, ok, it could be that assisted GPS was not used at all.

DavidOttawa wrote:

No, you're right, in offline mode MGMaps will not try to connect to the network. MGMaps will report any errors with GPS initialization in the error log, you can access it with Help/Debug Log.

In order to test whether AGPS is enabled, go outdoors in an open space (but still with mobile coverage), restart the phone and see how quick you get a position fix with MGMaps. GPS "cold start" takes at least 20-30 seconds, if it's quicker than that you have AGPS.

DavidOttawa wrote:

Google maps has its own cellid-based service, all users who have GPS and use google maps for mobile send their location data together with cell id to Google. Then google triangulates the location of towers and provides location information for users without GPS.

As for BB Maps, I was just saying the AGPS service is not related to the MGMaps configuration. AGPS is available even with online mode if you have wifi or cellular service turned on. If those are turned off and you still get a fast fix, it's the plain GPS without AGPS.

I tried it not so long ago with my Android phone (G1), I get a position fix indoors quickly most of the time. I turned off my wifi router then restarted the android phone, it couldn't get a position fix in 30 minutes. Once I turned on wifi, it found 11 satellites and got a fix immediately.
xatan.cssc
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
No, you're right, in offline mode MGMaps will not try to connect to the network. MGMaps will report any errors with GPS initialization in the error log, you can access it with Help/Debug Log.

Hi, Gristian, Thank you for the help.

After I got the GPS initialization error, I checked the Debug Log, there was nothing there except some memory information. If I tried to zoom in someplace without a map, the debug log reported no image data.

I just used the built-in test suite of 9700, and it seemed that my GPS didn't work at all. It used to work, very slow though. I tried to fix my GPS first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: