Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

[Fixed] Sonim Land Rover and similar - stored maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGMacs
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: [Fixed] Sonim Land Rover and similar - stored maps Reply with quote

I just succeeded in getting maps created via:

visible on the Sonim Land Rover S1, after much trial and error, and ignorance...

Now its running I am really grateful - MGMaps is pretty good and no data connection means big savings, but to get there I reckon I had 3 main problems:

I didn't know what I was doing
I didn't know how the device ordered its files
Copying onto the card seemed to take up far more space than it should have, and far more time.

So here's a summary.

The Sonim Land Rover S1 organises its memory so that you can't see files that are copied onto the card outside of its formatted folder structure, so first plan to copy the files in to an existing folder after formatting the card in the phone. Once you have done this, it doesn't use a drive letter, but uses the designation 'TFCard' when the memory is browsed by Java apps.

STEP 1 - use the phone to format the memory card.
Don't try a MicroSDHC card - it can't read it, therefore YOU CAN ONLY GO TO 2GIG CARD MAX.
I know there are some discussions on how you can be really efficient with formatting by designating a small block size and formatting by the computer, but I haven't tried this as I was concerned that when I placed files outside of the phones expected folder structure, it didn't see them.

Use a card reader to copy the files over: connecting the phone via USB is a nightmare. I got one with a slot for TransFlash cards, and found that not only was it fast, but it didn't copy over the files in a way that devoured space - what I ended up with on the card was slightly larger than what I had to start with, but for example when using a card adapter for MicroSD to SD and an older reader (USB 1.1), about x2 space was used and it was slow; using another phone that used MicroSD cards, it used up x3 space and took forever.
I don't know what aspects of each attempt caused the poorer time and space performances, but I do know the card formatted by the phone, and a new USB 2.0 reader with a dedicated MicroSD slot was FAST and better by far space wise.

STEP 2: Connect the card to your computer via an up-to-date reader preferably with a TransFlash or MicroSD slot, and copy your cached maps folder into the Others folder.

STEP 3 - turn on MGMaps, go into map browsing and set the settings to use offline and read stored maps. In the menu for selecting what map types ypou want to use, tick only the map types that you have stored, and then highlight the storage location box, click on options, AND BROWSE the file system.
Your Memory Card will then show up as 'TFCard' under the phone's own memory folders.
Open TFCard, and you will be able to navigate to the folder where you have stored your conf file, albeit a little slowly. Once you are there MGMAPS snaps it up so what you see in the Storage Path is
'TFCard/Others/MGMapscache'
Save the settings, and restart MGMAPS. On restart MG Maps will use the stored maps instead of online maps.[/list]
lorsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i followed your instructions and all works fine; but i cannot install signed version of program - so still having problems with permittions... what kind (signed/not signed) version did you install ? i have sonim quest 3.2 - i believe its the same soft inside;

regards,
robert
blike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same phone and it keeps asking permissions when it changes to another map tile. Does anyone know how I can turn this off.

tnx
steveb19
Junior

Phone Type: Sonim XP3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blike wrote:
I have the same phone and it keeps asking permissions when it changes to another map tile. Does anyone know how I can turn this off.

tnx

Ive loaded MG Maps on my Sonim landrover phone -it opens up ok but wont connect .Ive no idea what proxy settings I should use either. Are these from MG or from Orange(my provider?)I'm at my wits end. Anyone any ideas?
steveb19
Junior

Phone Type: Sonim XP3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sonim Land Rover and similar - making stored maps visibl Reply with quote

Hi
Im having trouble with MG Maps too, so have I got this right?
Ive downloaded the app to my phone .Do I need to download maps seperately or should they be in the app?
The app opens OK but says "no map tiles available". Ive deleted everything and tried again -same result
Ive been messing for two months with it now.
Steve
visible on the Sonim Land Rover S1, after much trial and error, and ignorance...

Now its running I am really grateful - MGMaps is pretty good and no data connection means big savings, but to get there I reckon I had 3 main problems:

I didn't know what I was doing
I didn't know how the device ordered its files
Copying onto the card seemed to take up far more space than it should have, and far more time.

So here's a summary.

The Sonim Land Rover S1 organises its memory so that you can't see files that are copied onto the card outside of its formatted folder structure, so first plan to copy the files in to an existing folder after formatting the card in the phone. Once you have done this, it doesn't use a drive letter, but uses the designation 'TFCard' when the memory is browsed by Java apps.

STEP 1 - use the phone to format the memory card.
Don't try a MicroSDHC card - it can't read it, therefore YOU CAN ONLY GO TO 2GIG CARD MAX.
I know there are some discussions on how you can be really efficient with formatting by designating a small block size and formatting by the computer, but I haven't tried this as I was concerned that when I placed files outside of the phones expected folder structure, it didn't see them.

Use a card reader to copy the files over: connecting the phone via USB is a nightmare. I got one with a slot for TransFlash cards, and found that not only was it fast, but it didn't copy over the files in a way that devoured space - what I ended up with on the card was slightly larger than what I had to start with, but for example when using a card adapter for MicroSD to SD and an older reader (USB 1.1), about x2 space was used and it was slow; using another phone that used MicroSD cards, it used up x3 space and took forever.
I don't know what aspects of each attempt caused the poorer time and space performances, but I do know the card formatted by the phone, and a new USB 2.0 reader with a dedicated MicroSD slot was FAST and better by far space wise.

STEP 2: Connect the card to your computer via an up-to-date reader preferably with a TransFlash or MicroSD slot, and copy your cached maps folder into the Others folder.

STEP 3 - turn on MGMaps, go into map browsing and set the settings to use offline and read stored maps. In the menu for selecting what map types ypou want to use, tick only the map types that you have stored, and then highlight the storage location box, click on options, AND BROWSE the file system.
Your Memory Card will then show up as 'TFCard' under the phone's own memory folders.
Open TFCard, and you will be able to navigate to the folder where you have stored your conf file, albeit a little slowly. Once you are there MGMAPS snaps it up so what you see in the Storage Path is
'TFCard/Others/MGMapscache'
Save the settings, and restart MGMAPS. On restart MG Maps will use the stored maps instead of online maps.[/list][/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: