Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcesHigh
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b8two wrote:
To Keep every avaliable space on your memory Card you can Format the memory Card to FAT32 in "Computer Management/Disk Management" for XP and specify the Cluster Size to 512Bytes (Instead of the Default (4Kb) 4186Bytes)

can you do that with the microsd INSIDE the cell phone? Because I dont have a memory card connector on my PC... the only way I can access it is by plugging my cell phone to the PC throught the USB port...

@lice wrote:
after saving app. 15000 tiles in my memory cards root directory, opening of the miniSD card for browsing its' gallery became significantly slower (app. 5 sec). After setting the tile folders' MGMapsCacheV1 attribute to 'hidden' (by means of PC) this problem disappears and card opens quickly as before.
MGmaps still "sees" tiles without any problems.

this seems like an awesome tip!! But in my case... the ENTIRE PHONE got quite slower after I put so many files in the memory card (the problem is of course the quantity of files, not their size)

I wonder if your solution will make the entire phone get quicker or only the memory card access.

btw, when using Shustrick´s Mapcacher website to generate .map files, I noticed that by selecting the HIGHEST quality setting, the number of tiles dimishes enormely.

I wonder if the much lower number of files doesnt result in more speed on the cellphone (in general) despite the speed loss when using the maps themselves.
AcesHigh
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...

I downloaded a map of the 2 southernmost brazilian states (and also a bit of Uruguay), from level 0 to level 12.

On the PC, that resulted in 13 thousand files, total of 67 mb.

But when I check my phone, those same folders occupy astounding 417 mb!!!! How is that possible?

The folder alone for the 12th zoom level occupy 309 mb!!!!

What did I do wrong? I only wonder the quantity of files and how much they will occupy in the memory if I download map files for a few cities, at the 17th zoom level!
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

Phone Type: Sony Ericsson K750i; Nokia 6120 classic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcesHigh wrote:
But when I check my phone, those same folders occupy astounding 417 mb!!!! How is that possible?

The folder alone for the 12th zoom level occupy 309 mb!!!!

That is called "cluster size". Or, in other words, the minimum size that every file must occupy.

As an example, if the filesystem has a 4KB cluster size, then a file with only 1 byte will occupy 4KB. A file with 4000 bytes will still occupy 4KB. A file with 4500 bytes will occupy 8KB.

AcesHigh
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, and so many small files end up occupying the same thing as less big files.

anyway, just now I discovered about putting more tiles per file. Ive deleted all maps I had on the celphone (those 400 mb on 13 thousand files). It took some 20 minutes to delete them!!

But I just deleted them and my phone is super fast again. It really got slow (not only when accessing the maps) because of 13 thousand files.

ps: a question... Mgmaps only work with bitmap maps right? Why not using vectorial maps? I guess the total maps size would be much smaller, and you would only need one map to zoom in and out.

also, you would be able to see the maps on pseudo-3d (like other GPS navigation software) which obviously makes it easier to see what lays ahead of your car when you are driving.

obviously, someone would have to come up with a tool to transform the bitmap maps from GoogleMaps into vectorial maps...
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AcesHigh wrote:
ps: a question... Mgmaps only work with bitmap maps right? Why not using vectorial maps? I guess the total maps size would be much smaller, and you would only need one map to zoom in and out.

Because I'm pretty sure that vectorial data is much more difficult to obtain. It is also much more difficult to handle, and more CPU-intensive to display (which means that cell phones will probably be really slow while trying to render vectorial data).

AcesHigh wrote:
also, you would be able to see the maps on pseudo-3d (like other GPS navigation software) which obviously makes it easier to see what lays ahead of your car when you are driving.

It is also possible to show 2D images in pseudo-3D perspective. (remember super mario kart?) That might or might not be a good idea, because on some phones it could be feasible, while on others it will be extremely slow. In addition, it will probably be very ugly (considering 2D raster images in perspective), unless some expensive CPU/GPU-intensive operations are performed (like anisotropic filter).

I feel this is not going to happen for a J2ME application.

AcesHigh wrote:
obviously, someone would have to come up with a tool to transform the bitmap maps from GoogleMaps into vectorial maps...

I bet it is not going to happen!

But might be possible within other projects, like openstreetmap (since the available data is already vectorial, I guess).

AcesHigh
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:

Because I'm pretty sure that vectorial data is much more difficult to obtain. It is also much more difficult to handle, and more CPU-intensive to display (which means that cell phones will probably be really slow while trying to render vectorial data).

AcesHigh wrote:

It is also possible to show 2D images in pseudo-3D perspective. (remember super mario kart?) That might or might not be a good idea, because on some phones it could be feasible, while on others it will be extremely slow. In addition, it will probably be very ugly (considering 2D raster images in perspective), unless some expensive CPU/GPU-intensive operations are performed (like anisotropic filter).

I feel this is not going to happen for a J2ME application.

AcesHigh wrote:

I bet it is not going to happen!

But might be possible within other projects, like openstreetmap (since the available data is already vectorial, I guess).

thanks for the answers pal

valeu pelas respostas cara!
oje
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok.

You may ask why not just to enjoy MGM application in my SE750i? Everything I want works with 1.35.00 and "1 tile per file" maps... Hmmm - SE750 doesn't accept FAT32 with 512B clusters (Information confirmed on SE Knowledge Base). So my neighbourhood downloaded maps which is 33 MB ocuppy 550MB on memory card Sad .

That's why I'm trying to change something in a map files...

with my phone it works (SE 750i) with FAT32 and 512B - but very very slow.
it needed more than a hour to unfreeze (dont know how long, let it work over night
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oje wrote:
Quote:
Ok.

You may ask why not just to enjoy MGM application in my SE750i? Everything I want works with 1.35.00 and "1 tile per file" maps... Hmmm - SE750 doesn't accept FAT32 with 512B clusters (Information confirmed on SE Knowledge Base). So my neighbourhood downloaded maps which is 33 MB ocuppy 550MB on memory card Sad .

That's why I'm trying to change something in a map files...

it needed more than a hour to unfreeze (dont know how long, let it work over night

Search this forum for K750... there are some known problems with that phone. So instead of FAT32, use FAT16 and store the maps as multiple tiles per file.
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oje wrote:

I have SE K750i. It freezes for too long if there are many files at the memory card. See my own post about this. See also my other post about the "solution".

I don't remember if I'm using FAT16 or FAT32, nor do I remember what is the cluster size. But I know that reducing the number of files at the memory card really "solves" the problem.

mrtngb
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: access MicrosoftSat AND GoogleMap maps Reply with quote

Sorry, this has has surely been discussed before ... didnt find it ...

how can i access different tiles created by different providers, for example MicrosoftSat and GoogleMap.

mrtn
mrtngb
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: store different cities seperately Reply with quote

additionally ...

i would liek to save detailed maps of different cities but i dont want to store them all on my sd card.

any suggestions?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: access MicrosoftSat AND GoogleMap maps Reply with quote

mrtngb wrote:
Sorry, this has has surely been discussed before ... didnt find it ...

how can i access different tiles created by different providers, for example MicrosoftSat and GoogleMap.

mrtn

Settings/Map Types, enable the maps you want, then use "0" to quickly switch between them.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: store different cities seperately Reply with quote

mrtngb wrote:
additionally ...

i would liek to save detailed maps of different cities but i dont want to store them all on my sd card.

any suggestions?

Um... then where would you want to store them? Smile
mrtngb
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... well ... yes ...

1st i meant if i use stored maps by different providers, i guess there has to be a modification of the cache.conf ...

2nd I want to copy a detailed map of a city where ie i want to spend only a few days and that i dont want occupy space on my sd card for all the time. Just in case i need it i would like to copy the few tiles to my mobile phone and then can delete it afterwards easily. Otherwise, if i put all in the same folder, its hard to distinguish which are the ones that belong to this city ...

hoping this post provides more information Smile
Martin
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrtngb wrote:
1st i meant if i use stored maps by different providers, i guess there has to be a modification of the cache.conf ...

No, no modification.

mrtngb wrote:
2nd I want to copy a detailed map of a city where ie i want to spend only a few days and that i dont want occupy space on my sd card for all the time. Just in case i need it i would like to copy the few tiles to my mobile phone and then can delete it afterwards easily. Otherwise, if i put all in the same folder, its hard to distinguish which are the ones that belong to this city ...

You can put different folders, then change the folder in MGMaps settings when you need different maps .
CrowdedCranium

Phone Type: HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Craplet midlet manager at fault, d'oh. Reply with quote

Embarassed Ok, I get it now. The included java aplet thing on my Cingular 8125 (G4) Stocko WM5 is:

Intent @ MIDlet Manager
Copyright 2003-2005 - Tao Group Limited
Runtime MIDP 2.0: v10.1.7.551 (Build 20060317)

And is totaly unable to do the job. Rolling Eyes

Got the redeyes now, Gustav is due tomorrow, a couple of thousand refugees are visiting Oklahoma city for a couple of weeks. My trip to the RNC is screwed. My head hurts. I need a ciggie and a hot blonde. Ill try this again tomorrow.

I'm off to XDA and HTC WiKi for a few minutes to see if I can flash this with a better Java. This is like going to a gunfight with a fingernail clipper.
booBot
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6680 v5.04.07 15-02-06 RM-36

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experimented with my Nokia 6680 v5.04.07: it does not support any other FS except the FAT16.
Even the FAT32 with the same block size (FAT16 defaults to 32kB) is rejected as a "corrupt memory card".

avecore

Phone Type: Samsung S5620 Monte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,

One quick question: is it possible to make a kind of zip or cab file instead of thousands files and folders for cached google maps?

Thanks!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avecore wrote:
Hi Cristian,

One quick question: is it possible to make a kind of zip or cab file instead of thousands files and folders for cached google maps?

Thanks!

Not supported by MGMaps, essentially because java/j2me apps can only access files sequentially and it would take a long time to search for tiles through those files. Now recently the phones seem to be more powerful and the search is quicker, so we may add support for this in the future.

Cristian
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avecore wrote:

The map images are already compressed, thus a ZIP file wouldn't achieve noticeable space reduction.

Then, the only advantage is to have multiple images in one file. But, hey, that's exactly why the "multiple tiles per file" feature exist! It doesn't group all images into one file, but instead groups many related images (that means images near the same region) into one file. This reduces the overall number of images, and will probably suit your needs.

However, since J2ME is very slow, having too many images into the same file gets really slow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: