Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Port to N900 / Maemo ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Developer Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
humerer
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Port to N900 / Maemo ? Reply with quote

Hi,

any chance to get your program ported to the N900 platform?

Bye Humerer
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Port to N900 / Maemo ? Reply with quote

humerer wrote:
Hi,

any chance to get your program ported to the N900 platform?

Bye Humerer

Essentially, it would be possible as a (mostly) web application. I mean it would be a native program that shows an embedded web page and provides GPS & offline functionality to that. But honestly, I'd do an iPhone/Android port before thinking to adapt it for the N900.
humerer
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually there is already a program that display map tiles, but the tiles are directly stored as PNG not as MGM.

That's why i just ask for an modification for the MapTileCacher.perl script.
but it would be even better to have this program on the N900, just because i'm familiar with this app Smile

i generally don't like the idea of web apps... but if that would be the only chance to see MGMaps on the N900 ? better than noting.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humerer wrote:
actually there is already a program that display map tiles, but the tiles are directly stored as PNG not as MGM.

That's why i just ask for an modification for the MapTileCacher.perl script.
but it would be even better to have this program on the N900, just because i'm familiar with this app Smile

i generally don't like the idea of web apps... but if that would be the only chance to see MGMaps on the N900 ? better than noting.

I did a maemo port for Trapster.com, essentially it's a web browser inside an application that provides GPS & storage (in cookies). There are small chances for a native port because it means essentially a full rewrite, maemo is now turning into meego so there's very little motivation. A web application on the other hand would be (I hope) easily portable to iphone & android which are widely-used. The only bad thing about it is web-based google maps api (V3) is pretty slow on those phones.
zimon
Junior

Phone Type: N95

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Porting MGMaps from JME to JSE ? Reply with quote

N900 now can run Java-applications also, with icedtea6-package:
http://www.maemonokian900.com/nokia-n900-downlaods/icedtea6/

Also some JME-programs can run under microemulation-java-application, but it is cumbersome.

Would think it would be rather easy to port from Java Mobile Edition application to Java Standard Edition.
Any problems you'd see, like missing JSRs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Developer Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: