Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Wiki

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil061
Power User

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote

Hi all,
Cristian why not to make a Wiki for the FAQ and Manual?
Like that users could update the FAQ and Manual maybe it'll be just an unofficial manual/FAQ but with that you'll haven't to write but just control and corrected no?

Best Regards
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiki Reply with quote

Phil061 wrote:
Hi all,
Cristian why not to make a Wiki for the FAQ and Manual?
Like that users could update the FAQ and Manual maybe it'll be just an unofficial manual/FAQ but with that you'll haven't to write but just control and corrected no?

Best Regards

I agree, that will be a good idea to have, I'll set up one in the next days or early next year Smile
lilpunk1302
MGMapper

Phone Type: NOkia 6275i(Similar to 6265, but not a slider)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STILL NO WIKI Mad Mad Mad
Plz add one. and update with at least an extremly rough estimate as to V2 release.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilpunk1302 wrote:
STILL NO WIKI Mad Mad Mad
Plz add one. and update with at least an extremly rough estimate as to V2 release.

A "v2" release will take a long long time... probably I'll have a v1.5 release working on... an for that I'll start the v1.4 development branch next week.

As for the wiki, hopefully next week too. I'll be quite busy for another 1-1.5 months with other (commercial) projects, that's mainly why you don't see yet any major updates to mgmaps.
lilpunk1302
MGMapper

Phone Type: NOkia 6275i(Similar to 6265, but not a slider)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, andcould you please add more Change updates to the blog posts, the Late january one was perfect, understandable to read, tells exactly what was changed(generalistcally) etc. but the feb 9 one was pretty skimpy on dets.
Haris777
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6233

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quick to tell others what to do, and the reason is that you just want "something"! Mostly things won`t go that way!
First start to make posts that are readable not like this last one which is not!
And next time when you are demanding on some of your instant cool ideas, think how can you help MGmaps other way. Perhaps by not puting angry faces in your posts.
Btw I also want to see something more coming in MGmaps, but my first thoughts are - how much can I donate to help. Think it this way - MGmaps easy beats many comercial GPS products that costs at least some 200$! You get it for free...

I personaly think that MGmaps is not so complicated that it needs wiki.
It`s easy to understand and settings are self-explaining, other things are explained in site/forum! And users cannot write FAQ/Wiki, author can.
Wiki needs time and attention, my vote is to save those for primary development!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
I personaly think that MGmaps is not so complicated that it needs wiki.
It`s easy to understand and settings are self-explaining, other things are explained in site/forum! And users cannot write FAQ/Wiki, author can.
Wiki needs time and attention, my vote is to save those for primary development!

I think the whole purpose of wiki would be to allow several people (including some users) to post tutorials and instructions. This can already be done on the forum, but maybe it's not well organized. The downside of all this is that all the information would need to be copied to the wiki and organized/linked... that may take some time too.
DavidOttawa
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310, 9700

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wiki would still be useful. I see the same questions being asked over and over again in different forums. I wrote a tutorial on how to download maps that you posted at http://www.mgmaps.com/stored/, but most people can't find that. Instructions on related software like MapCruncher are buried in the forums.

Perhaps the Help page can be updated, with the same set of topics? [It is really out of date -- only Blackberry 7000 series listed]. Perhaps Christian could assign a few topics to some of his loyal users? I know it gets a bit complicated because there are a variety of phones (full keyboard, numeric keyboards, touch screens) and different versions of the software.

Some of us can make YouTube videos showing how to use MgMaps on our own devices.
DavidOttawa
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310, 9700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on my suggestion about tutorials, I have created a video showing how to install and set up Mgmaps on a Blackberry 9700, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gav9sOMLBGo.

I am willing to write an HTML version of this to show how to install. How about a re-write of the documentation? We can have pages showing how to install on different devices, the tutorial on installing map tiles, links to videos, etc. Just ask, and I will help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: