Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mobile GMaps or MGMaps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Mobile GMaps or MGMaps? Reply with quote

I feel there's a need to discuss some confusions between the name of MGMaps and related products, and some of Google's products. MGMaps is not created, affiliated or supported by Google in any way.

First confusion: is it Mobile GMaps or MGMaps? I guess it's both. It was supposed to be Mobile GMaps the "long name" and MGMaps as a "short name". It made a lot of sense in the beginning because MGMaps was one of the very few mobile applications showing Google Maps, even before Google Maps for Mobile was released. Oh, and the capitalization of the name is not the best either.

Neither of these two names has anything to do with Google's mobile mapping application called "Google Maps for Mobile", "gmm" or just "Google Maps", which was initially similar in features to MGMaps.

Gmaps is not a trademark registered to Google, but some people refer to Mobile GMaps as "gmaps" (leaving out "mobile"), while others call Google Maps "gmaps" (like a short name, also it's their module name on Blackberry and other phones).

In fact, Google Maps for Mobile uninstalls MGMaps on Blackberry phones! They are basically doing a cleanup to remove older versions of their application but it's done wrong and they are erasing all applications containing "gmaps" in the module name.

An even bigger confusion exists between Google Map Maker (Google's product) and gMapMaker (MGMaps-related product). Google Map Maker is an online tool for users to edit their own maps and add mapping information in areas not covered by Google Maps. gMapMaker is a desktop application that builds a "cache" of map images (tiles) to be used in MGMaps. Again, the name made sense at the beginning, as it was initially just a tool that made large "wallpaper" maps using imagery... from Google.

GMap-Track is the website that integrates with MGMaps and provides friend-tracking on the web. If you enable the feature, MGMaps reports your location to the GMap-Track server. MGMaps can also display the location of friends on the mobile phone, this information is retrieved from GMap-Track. This tracking feature has a different name because GMap-Track was designed to work with any product compatible with it (it has a public API), not just MGMaps, but so far there aren't any such products -- and there are competitors for the big players, Google Latitude for the mobile friend tracking and Yahoo FireEagle for the API thing.

The bottom line is we need to fix these problems, we need a better name for MGMaps. First, there's no reason to have two names for the main application, MGMaps sounds the more logical choice (it's the name of the website). But it still doesn't fix confusions with Google Maps... Shall we try a "Web 2.0 name", a nonsense word that doesn't tell anything about the application? Maybe you can suggest some solutions, I'm leaving this topic open for discussion.
roger
MGMapper

Phone Type: SE W800i

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proposal :

WMap
Stands for Wireless Map
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

Phone Type: Sony Ericsson K750i; Nokia 6120 classic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should change the MGMaps name. It's like giving up on a well-known brand name. Maybe not as well-known as many others, but I still don't think we should stop using MGMaps as the name. I will only cause more confusion.

What we might do is giving a meaning to MGMaps. It could mean: Mobile Global Maps. The short name version should still be MGMaps, and maybe the lower-case "mgmaps".

If gMapMaker is only useful for MGMaps (or it is most useful for MGMaps), maybe we should rename it. Something like MGMaps-Maker or MGMaps Maker.

Similarly, since gmap-track is tied to mgmaps, I think it could be renamed to MGMaps-Track or MGMaps Track. Basically, all of this means that everything will be under only one strong and well-known name.

Whatever the name choice is, I think a simple page explaining all of these names is the best way to avoid or solve confusions. This page could be available at "About" and "FAQ", from MGMaps site.

ghanashyaml
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about MEMaps meaning "Mobile Earth Maps" removing the G as in removing confusion with Google?

Likewise MEMapsMaker and MEMapsTracker?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys. WMap would be great but the domain is already taken and there are many acronyms/products with the same name. Same goes with MEMaps...

MGMaps / MGMaps Maker / MGMaps Track is fine except for the problem with Google maps on blackberry, but I think there's a chance there, see http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=12746#12746.
Bern451

Phone Type: Nokia S60v3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking about what MGMaps actually is, I suggest to name it 'Mobile GeoMaps', or 'Mobile Geographical Maps'. For which MGMaps would be a perfect short name.

I did not check if any of the above names is already occupied by another company/product; but for the genericity of the words I would not expect much trouble with name conflicts. Yet, IANAL.

EDIT: Oh sure, likewise the map maker tool could be renamed geoMapMaker, which might or might not be abbreviated to gMapMaker as before.

As a nice side effect, 'Mobile GeoMaps' is pronounced very much like 'Mobile GMaps'.
dmytro
Developer

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8130

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea!
b8two
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia E51, 6288, 6230i, 6230, Sony Ericsson K770i

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Geographical Maps" is a little redundant. Is there a non graphical map?

Mobile Geo-Location is what MgMaps does.

Since we can't take MG as the name, MGM is used quite a bit on the forums here for a short name and perhaps it should be kept as such. Instead of mgmaps or Mobile gMaps, Mobile Geo-Location Maps is perhaps a better long name.

gMapMaker dose not really make maps, more of a downloader and compiler.
I'm not sure what the"g" stands for (perhaps it's google) but Geo Map Compiler makes sense to me.

GMap-Track still is a perfect name for what it is, especially if G stands for Geo or Geo-location. I think that this is not incorporated in other applications because it still BETA in the title, the API page is "Coming soon..." and I'm not sure if it has any unique features that would make it better than the other options (right now). I have not looked in to Google or Yahoo's options ether but perhaps it might be worth looking at this project V's the other free or open options and ether use the best one OR have GMap-Track be the center point and take data from the others. i.e. use GMap-Track to follow all your friends including the ones on Google and Yahoo.

Apologies for the long post.

Cristian, I look forward to your decision on this topic and thanks for a great product.

jur
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6600 Slide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenMaps, for Generic Maps or General maps, since the app uses all online maps as well as any offline ones. This retains the GMap. Then tell Google to Cease and Desist cleaning up everything called 'gmap' on BBs.
Jo The Trekker
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way we could take Google to litigation?? That would be a nice little donation to the betterment of our favorite mobile maps Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: