Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

LG Arena : MGMaps Now INSISTS on Using Wi-Fi to Get Map Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fleetie
Junior

Phone Type: LG Arena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: LG Arena : MGMaps Now INSISTS on Using Wi-Fi to Get Map Data Reply with quote

Hi.

I've had MGMaps working with GPS on my LG Arena (KM900) phone. It would get my location from GPS, and download the correct map data, not using wi-fi but using my normal phone internet connection.

Then one day last week, it started INSISTING on using wi-fi to get map data, and it will not get map data using the normal phone internet connection.

So I now can't get any map data, even though the GPS location is obtained. (Unless I use wi-fi, which when I'm out in the open, is no use.)

I have not (knowingly) changed any settings. It just stopped working.

Also, my phone's normal internet connection works fine with the phone's web browser, so the connection does still work.

Can anyone help? It was geeat while it worked!

I know I can supposedly download map data from OpenStreetMap, etc., and I intend to do that, but for now, I really want it to be able to download map data on the fly using the phone's normal internet connection!

Thanks very much in advance.

Martin
Fleetie
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: More Info on This Problem Reply with quote

I should add that what NOW happens when I start MGMaps is that the phone goes to the phone's wi-fi config screen where you can switch wi-fi on or off, and it searches for available wi-fi networks,

If I touch the "back" icon to get out of that screen, MGMaps usually takes me straight BACK into the wi-fi screen again, for a second time.

If I touch "back" again, it takes me back into MGMaps, but with no map shown, just "blank" tiles.

In fact, if I switch wi-fi OFF in the wi-fi config screen, MGMaps turns it right back ON again.

It really does want me to give it a wi-fi connection.

When I don't, and it finally takes me back to MGMaps, but does NOT fall back to using the phone's "normal" internet connection.

If I try to zoom, or pan the (non-existent) map on the screen, it tries again to use wi-fi to get map data, and takes me back to the phone's wi-fi config screen.

Thanks again.

Martin
Fleetie
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Fixed It! But now I've got a new question. Reply with quote

I have fixed this problem.

On my arena:

Connectivity -> Java Settings -> Profiles

The profile WAS set to Wi-Fi. I changed it to Orange Internet, and when I re-started
MGMaps, it was able to download map data again.

Now I have another prolem, though.

I would rather not have to download map data too often, so I am starting to put Yahoo Maps
data onto my storage card (which does NOT show up as "E:/" but rather "Card/", so I
have to set my storage path to "Card/MGMapsCache" and put my Yahoo* directories
into there. (Working this out has taken me a couple of hours.)

BUT when I installed MGMaps, I could not install the signed/trusted version on my
phone; it said something like "Authorization failed". Is there I way I can fix this so that
I can install the signed/trusted version?

Anyway, I think because this version is untrusted, each time MGMaps goes to get a tile
file, it asks for permission. So each time I pan, zoom, unzoom, I have to give it
permission. What a pain in the arse!

So given that I am running the untrusted version, is there any way to stop it doing this?

Maybe I can REDUCE it by having a LOT of tiles per file? I am using the Perl script
to download the tiles from Yahoo Maps, but not the "Front End" Perl script.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Martin
gsx666
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hy ,there is 2 days i m trying to make work the gmaps. I think the program works ,but i can t see the map. I already make two of them but no succes. What i m dowloading in mgmpas cache ,i have to change some think before to put in the phone? I puting all in the phone memori could it be for that i m not seeing the map?
I would like to know also how to conect me throug the wifi ,i dont find in setting...
I hope i well receve some help for some one with a arena ,it will help me a lot to have a gps working in my arena. Thank you
AlejandroPadrino

Phone Type: LG KM900 Arena (V10t_00)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Offline GPS LG KM900 Arena Reply with quote

Well, first of all, now is the second time trying MGMaps for me. I want run it in offline mode, without WiFi and Internet. My problem is next: I can't get my GPS position. Showing Compass there is no GPS data, but GPS data is received within service menu and into Google Maps application. GPS was configured at internal-autonomous-tracking-lgslp. "Where I am" returns GPS error.

Currently I have 0 to 8 zoom World Map with 400 MBytes in size (87.382 map files), in OpenStreetMap format. Note that if you was create offline maps with "x to y" zoom range, MGMaps only can show your map if you was select one zoom level within that "x to y" range.

I was store maps into /Others/MGMapsCache folder. To avoid network calls, was configure "Offline mode" into "Map browsing" setting.

I've last MGMaps release, with LG KM900 V10t_00 firmware. Mobile phone branded with Vodafone and IMEI free.

Can anyone help me to offline real GPS navigate?

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: