Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mgmaps for Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevmar
MGMapper

Phone Type: Blackberry 8120, Nokia 6822

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you are still working on the Android port, Cristian. Us 'lurkers' waiting here with bated breath Smile
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevmar wrote:
Great to hear you are still working on the Android port, Cristian. Us 'lurkers' waiting here with bated breath Smile

Very much so. I'm not sure how or why the Android version got delayed by at least a month in the last moment, but I hope Cristian will eventually make it happen.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
trevmar wrote:

Very much so. I'm not sure how or why the Android version got delayed by at least a month in the last moment, but I hope Cristian will eventually make it happen.

Yeah, I'm quite behind on that. The thing is -- there are many Android applications that support offline maps, including a hacked version of Google Maps which I've used successfully -- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887... There is not much purpose to work on a port, especially since mgmaps would be mostly replicating google maps' functionality.
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
lofarkas wrote:
trevmar wrote:

Yeah, I'm quite behind on that. The thing is -- there are many Android applications that support offline maps, including a hacked version of Google Maps which I've used successfully -- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887... There is not much purpose to work on a port, especially since mgmaps would be mostly replicating google maps' functionality.

Thanks for the link, I might try that.

Still, an MGMaps port would be far from superfluous. Gmaps with offline maps still doesn't have openstreetmap, yahoo and microsoft maps, it doesn't have maps made from jpg files with mapcruncher, it would require me to redownload all the maps I already have in the MGMaps format, it doesn't have the nice poi system MGMaps has etc.
trevmar
MGMapper

Phone Type: Blackberry 8120, Nokia 6822

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out MyTrails for Android today: http://www.frogsparks.com/mytrails/

I have 6GB of MGMapsCache with assorted GoogleMap, GoogleSat and MicrosoftSat tiles of various cities, and MyTrails handled it well. Tile size is 256, and it even handled that OK Smile

If the developer can clean up management of the "cache.conf" data and make it easier to switch maps, this will perpetuate much of the MGMaps development (especially the map-downloading infrastructure), and, IMO, take the MGMaps concept to the next level Smile
thazlett
MGMapper

Phone Type: HTC Touch Diamond/Pro - I have both!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
lofarkas wrote:
trevmar wrote:

It's the friend tracking i'm after! also OSMaps would be good... Google Latitude doesn't cut it compared to the tracking mgmaps offered. I really miss using that! please make it happen Sad This would be the perfect tool for my offroading trips! OSMaps and friend tracking!
rockpilp
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: MyTrails progress Reply with quote

Cristian's New Year post prompted me to post in this thread to provide a short update on MyTrails, an Android app I wrote when I switched from a Nokia to an Android phone and found myself dissatisfied with what was available.

MyTrails now fully supports MGM packs, including non-square, huge, multi-layer packs.

It does (and probably never will) support all the features of MGM, but it does do a few things well:
- many map types defined out of the box
- track recording
- colorized track display to show speed, altitude, gps accuracy or rate of ascent
- map-follow-compass mode
- saving and loading GPX

Many more features are planned, and you can suggest more.

You can download it from the market or visit the web site: www.frogsparks.com.

In addition, because creating MGM packs with the current tools was a bit complicated, I contributed an MGM module to MOBAC. The 1.9 preview version has it, but it's not in the stable version yet.
seballa
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockpilp thank you very much! Your app is exactly what is was looking for! Now i can use all my mgmaps on my new android super. (This should be on the front page) Brut Maps kind of worked for me as well but using my mgmapcache without any converter on andorid perfect
thazlett
MGMapper

Phone Type: HTC Touch Diamond/Pro - I have both!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I have to admit i'm disappointed Sad but I understand.

I have looked all over the market for an app that offers the functionality that yours does. Plenty offer offline maps, but yours offers the real time friend tracking, this was amazing back in the P1i / N95 days before the likes of the Iphone and Android devices.

I have been trying to locate an app that offers at least this, but is available on the IPhone and Android platforms, perhaps Windows Phone 7 also.

Does anybody know off a good app similar to MGMaps that is available on Iphone and Android, WP7 would be great also! (My group that used mgmaps now all have different platforms >.<) Family tracker any good? does it offer second by second friend tracking updates? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: