Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

combining multiple downloaded maps into one file

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
no1pg

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: combining multiple downloaded maps into one file Reply with quote

Hi, i was wondering if it's possible to combine multiple downloaded offline maps into one map cache folder.

For example, if i download a map with zoom level 9-12 of california, then i download a more detailed zoom level of just San Fransisco with zoom level 13-16. When i save it it is in two different folders, so when i use mobile gmaps i would have to change the cache path.

Can i store it in one folder so the app has a rough view of the whole state, but i can zoom in on specific cities of which i have downloaded more detail maps?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: combining multiple downloaded maps into one file Reply with quote

no1pg wrote:
Hi, i was wondering if it's possible to combine multiple downloaded offline maps into one map cache folder.

For example, if i download a map with zoom level 9-12 of california, then i download a more detailed zoom level of just San Fransisco with zoom level 13-16. When i save it it is in two different folders, so when i use mobile gmaps i would have to change the cache path.

Can i store it in one folder so the app has a rough view of the whole state, but i can zoom in on specific cities of which i have downloaded more detail maps?

Yes, if you download with a single tile per file you can just copy the files together. If you download with multiple tiles per file it's more complicated, generally you may be missing some tiles around the areas that are "common" to the two map caches at same zoom levels. For your example there shouldn't be any problems, since the zoom level ranges are different.
Russell

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: combining multiple downloaded maps into one file Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
no1pg wrote:

Yes, if you download with a single tile per file you can just copy the files together. If you download with multiple tiles per file it's more complicated, generally you may be missing some tiles around the areas that are "common" to the two map caches at same zoom levels. For your example there shouldn't be any problems, since the zoom level ranges are different.

I have a very similar case: one level 0-14 set of tiles for the whole state; level 15 ONLY tiles for the large area around me and level 16 ONLY tiles for my local town. One tile per file. So NO overlapping zoom but the inner most area ("local town") is completely enclosed by the next area ("large area around me") which in turn is completely enclosed by the "whole state".

So, if I combine maps how do I handle the cache.conf (I'm using Google road maps so I have GoogleMap_0 ... GoogleMap_14 for the state and I can add Goolge_15 and Google_16 as peers)? Since they are three different ones, which one should I use? I tried reading http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=7715, but am still confused. The first three lines in cache.conf are the same, but the "center" line is obviously different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: