Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GPS not working on LG GD880 Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuth64
Junior

Phone Type: LG GD880 Mini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: GPS not working on LG GD880 Mini Reply with quote

Hi
I have installed both the stable 1.3 and Beta 1.4 versions and neither can use the internal GPS on my LG GD880 Mini phone. I have offline maps working well and all other functions of the software seem to be working. But when I go to GPS and try to get a fix with "where am I" function, it just says "GPS Error GPS position not determined.Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strength is good" I have google maps v 2.3.2(came pre installed) on my phone and it works well in both AGPS and stand alone GPS mode, so I know the GPS is working. I have read through any posts on LG phones and done a couple of things as suggested such as running a GPS test first from the hidden menu but nothing works. Seems a pity because it looks like a good piece of software. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Very Happy
cuth64
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Have done a bit more research now and found the issue is related to the policy settings on the phone not allowing access to the GPS location API, it only allows trusted apps such as Google Maps access. Will have to wait until Bitpim supports the GD880 to edit the pol file. Thanks for nothing LG!! Evil or Very Mad
duelo

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Mgmaps works on LG GD880 Reply with quote

Hey man! I have this mobile phone too and It works well. I acquired it two days ago in Spain with Orange company and I have to say that the first time I tried to run mgmaps on LG GD880 I had the same problem, the phone displayed the same error message. But then I realised that it may take more than 5 minutes to find your current location. It works well, but the problem is that you have to wait more with mgmaps than google maps. And it's very important to be outside of your house as well, in the street. Once you have installed the app and the offline maps are running correctly, you just have to go outside and wait. This is the procedure I did:

1.- I installed mgmaps by entering in this URL: http://wap.mgmaps.com/ from the default mobile phone HTTP navigator.

2.- I downloaded the LG version by clicking on the LG link, which is on blue color (the first link). I haven't tried other version so I can't assure other versions will run without problems with the GPS device.

3.-I installed the application following the steps of the assistant.

4.- I run the application which was stored in the Application folder, but it may not suppose a problem if you install it in other folder. I think it is not relevant the folder in which you installe mgmaps. If the GPS is not activated, you have to go to GPS-->Setup-->Select Device and select Internal.

5.- I went outside and walked for a while until the GPS had connected to the satellites.

And now I have free GPS offline with LG GD880 =D!

Hope this mini-guide help you when configuring mgmaps on your mobile phone.
cuth64
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Duelo
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately my phone is with Vodafone Australia and the firmware is modified to only allow trusted apps including googlemaps access to the GPS function. I have MGMaps working OK offline but without GPS support. The solution seems to be to unlock my phone and then Debrand it using an open firmware, which I will do soon.
cuth64
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Update for anyone who has a LG GD880 mini. I have unlocked my phone then flashed the firmware to Open Australian Version D and Mgmaps now works both offline and with assisted data. Yeahhhhhhhhh!!

The version of firmware(crippleware) was which I originally had was Vodafone Version E. The Vodafone custom firmware was only allowing access to the GPS API by googlemaps. The open version has no restrictions and allows MGMAPS to access the API and it works really well. I found the info and files for flashing GD880 on this site. It's a post by a poster called Mark halfway down the page.

http://www.handy-hilfeforum.de/f371/lg-gd880-firmware-update-7072/index18.html

It's in German so use Google translator if you don't speak German. Obviously do not try it if you are not confident as you may brick your phone and there are plenty of guys who do the debranding here in Australia for about $40. Your choice. Razz
PPA67

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Offline maps display poblem LG GD 880 Mini Reply with quote

Hi everybody, it seems very exiting software and I have tried to install and prepared all the maps etc. Problem I faced was that my LG GD880 Mini does not display these off-line maps and I suspect that the path I gave to my unit is not correct. I would be easy if it is possible to brows the location in the phone but I couldn't find such function from my unit so the path to the maps location should be written without any feedback if its correct or not. I am very grateful for any ideas or help for trouble shooting

Best regards
Priit
Tallinn, Estonia
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: