Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

APRS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrroute66

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: APRS? Reply with quote

Any chance one of the forthcoming revisions will again support APRS? I've tried the old version but it seems to lock up with my K790a when using a Garmin Bluetooth. It, however, does not lock up with your latest v30 version.

Really excited about getting this operational - also have a 904T (Internal GPS), K750i and Treo 650 with which to experiment.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, APRS support will be ported to v1.30 when I have the time...

Cristian
raventbk
MGMapper

Phone Type: Sanyo 9000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd boot this back to the top. It is the best of the three other APRS threads I found in searches.

In these searches, I found mAPRS (since been absorbed into MGMaps).

Finding a way to use the phone to do 2-way APRS is something I've been kicking around for some time now...even considering a feature suggestion to allow me to send my position to an IGate instead of to the gmap-track site.

Now that I see that someone else was thinking the same things I have been... and even went so far as to create it, and then get absorbed into MGMaps... what ever happened to this functionality? Very Happy Any chance of it coming back?

Cristian, awesome stuff you're doing. We really appreciate it out here!

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raventbk wrote:
Finding a way to use the phone to do 2-way APRS is something I've been kicking around for some time now...even considering a feature suggestion to allow me to send my position to an IGate instead of to the gmap-track site.

Now that I see that someone else was thinking the same things I have been... and even went so far as to create it, and then get absorbed into MGMaps... what ever happened to this functionality? Very Happy Any chance of it coming back?

Yes, I'll re-add this functionality soon, as I also work on the ability to save offline tracks. If you can help with testing, that would be great Smile

Regards,
Cristian
raventbk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

Yes, I'll re-add this functionality soon, as I also work on the ability to save offline tracks. If you can help with testing, that would be great Smile

Regards,
Cristian
Outstanding! APRS coupled with the "run in background" feature I previously suggested would make me (and I'm sure a handful of others) one seriously happy camper.

I am available for testing...

Got a Sprint Sanyo 9000, and Sprint Sanyo Katana at my disposal to test out Sprint builds. I'll PM you with my contact info so you can let me know what you need to be run through when you get it written. Smile

kolaf
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been missing this functionality too, even to the extent where Iæm considering refreshing the old maprs again, or even building a native symbian app for the purpose.

I too am available for testing/debuging, or even helping with the implementation as I did last time, as I already have the necessary aprs know-how.

Just let me know, it's been far too long since I did anything usefull with my phone Smile
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kolaf wrote:
Hi, I've been missing this functionality too, even to the extent where Iæm considering refreshing the old maprs again, or even building a native symbian app for the purpose.

I too am available for testing/debuging, or even helping with the implementation as I did last time, as I already have the necessary aprs know-how.

Just let me know, it's been far too long since I did anything usefull with my phone Smile

True Smile I'll make this thread sticky and post here any test versions.
raventbk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to "touch" this thread again.

APRS with GMaps Lite is the ultimate solution. Very Happy

Interestingly enough, the generic version works just fine on my sprint phone, minus being able to read my speed..but it reports my position just fine, which is really all thats required. So porting the APRS/Lite things really wouldnt be required for any more than Generic, which should work on most all phones... makes life easy instead of porting to all the flavors at once.

Maybe a Generic Lite with APRS? Very Happy

raventbk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to "touch" this thread again to show my continued interest. Seen plenty of revisions released since December, but still no APRS or generic lite version. Sad
raventbk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Yeah, APRS support will be ported to v1.30 when I have the time...

Cristian
*points at the changelog... 1.39.12*

Very Happy Since this has become a sticky, apparently it is no longer noticed when new things are added... so now I'm just being silly. Very Happy

Cristian, I know you're doing this for free for all of us, but this is something (along with an auto-updating lite version) I'd be willing to pay for. Should I make my donation now or later? Wink

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raventbk wrote:
Cristian, I know you're doing this for free for all of us, but this is something (along with an auto-updating lite version) I'd be willing to pay for. Should I make my donation now or later? Wink

Thanks, but there is a lot of work on my mind right now so I can't tell you when I'll have time to add those features.
raventbk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

It happened. I had my phone stolen by one of my stalkers about two weeks ago. I was pissed. I was cussing up and down about how "if only I had the silent update&exit functionality of mgmaps I've been begging for, I could get my phone back" .... I ended up having to call and suspend my service because I couldnt find out who had my device. But whoo hoo.. before I suspended it, the mailbox got full of nasty voicemails of the folks this idiot was calling from my phone. Evil or Very Mad

I managed to get my phone back nine days after it was taken. It was placed into my mailbox at home. I un-suspended the service, for a $10 reconnect fee (!), and here I am.

Not only would aprs support be fantastic (for me!), but a silent "update&exit" functionality would be fantastic for myself and all those many other users out there that would enjoy some lojack style functionality from their device....or keeping their position updated on mgmaps without having to leave the application open all the time, making the phone unusable. Or parents to keep track of their children... the list goes on and on. Very Happy And it doesnt even have to be specialized.. the generic version done this way would suffice. Pretty please?

Sparqi

Phone Type: Blackberry 8703e Verzion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Also interested... Reply with quote

Hi. Started digging around today after realizing that my mobile should be able to push a GPS coordinate up to an APRS IGate without having to go through serial->packet.

If there's anything which can be done to help revive maprs, please let me know..?

Regards,

..dtw
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Also interested... Reply with quote

Sparqi wrote:
Hi. Started digging around today after realizing that my mobile should be able to push a GPS coordinate up to an APRS IGate without having to go through serial->packet.

If there's anything which can be done to help revive maprs, please let me know..?

Regards,

..dtw

Probably going open-source with mgmaps will revive it Smile That should happen in less than a month.

Cristian
ambra
Power User

Phone Type: SE K810i

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Also interested... Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

Probably going open-source with mgmaps will revive it Smile That should happen in less than a month.

Cristian

kf4nxs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: be happy to beta Reply with quote

I have a 8350i curve if you need a genii pig for bb. It would be nice to push it to aprs.fi and findu.com
N9YTY

Phone Type: BlackBerry 8530

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Me Too! Reply with quote

I just came across this project - it would be phenomenal to have the APRS reporting working!
Redhatter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Hate to bump an old thread, but I thought my post was more relevant here than in a new thread.

I too would love to see APRS-IS support in MGMaps. I first heard of this project via the MGMaps predicessor, mAPRS.

mAPRS looked almost perfect for what I wanted, except one thing -- it refused to talk to the phone's GPS (built-in) and expected one via Bluetooth. I couldn't see any option to configure it to use the internal one either. Research lead me to install MGMaps, which while nice, it does lack the one feature I was after.

Thus, a proposal. Seeing as MGMaps is now open-source (and I have mirrored the Subversion repository), is it possible that perhaps the old mAPRS applet could be similarly open-sourced?

This would allow those of us who truly want this feature, to be able to merge the two projects and finally put this TODO item to bed.

In the meantime, I am researching the problem, and may look at how I can scratch the itch myself, although for me it's a semi-low priority task ... I recently bought myself a VX8-DR to do the APRS.

Thoughts, comments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: