Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Narrowing down the maps to download
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shustrik
Power User

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Narrowing down the maps to download Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've made an online tool to make .map files for any part of the world with a point-and-click interface. It's not a greatly usable piece of software, but it gets the job done! Any comments and suggestions are absolutely welcome!

A screenshot is attached and the [changed] URL is: http://www.mapcacher.com/

screenshot.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  94.42 KB
 Viewed:  103917 Time(s)

screenshot.gif

Last edited by shustrik on Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowing down the maps to download Reply with quote

shustrik wrote:
Hi everyone!

I've made an online tool to make .map files for any part of the world with a point-and-click interface. It's not a greatly usable piece of software, but it gets the job done! Any comments and suggestions are absolutely welcome!

A screenshot is attached and the URL is: http://map.outdated.info/

Hi Shustrik,

This is a great tool, and could be a big step towards a GUI map tile downloader. A few thoughts and suggestions in some random order:
  • Process double-click events and handle them the "usual way" (zoom-in or out), instead of placing two markers on the map when the user double clicks.
  • Try to redesign the page a bit to make it fit all the form elements at 1024x768 and 1280x800. For example, you could move the ads to the left/right, or you could make the map a bit smaller (maybe auto-sized based on browser size).
  • Processing of non-convex polygons is sometimes incorrect, there's a small area that's selected but not covered by any rectangle. It only happens in some cases - see the screenshots attached.
  • As I said, this could be a step towards a GUI downloader. Here's how I envision it to work: the users visit your page, select the map to download and get a .map file (they should be able to download the info as a file instead of copy/pasting it); then they open the file with a GUI that downloads all the needed map tiles. The big advantage here is the fact that the GUI does not need to display a map or allow the user to choose the coordinates, so it would be a lot easier to design based on the perl scripts.

Best regards,
Cristian

img1.jpg
 Description:
non-convex polygon problem
 Filesize:  57.73 KB
 Viewed:  103816 Time(s)

img1.jpg

img2.jpg
 Description:
the same polygon with a single point moved - the script works fine here although the polygon is still not convex. Detail level: medium speed, medium detail.
 Filesize:  57.76 KB
 Viewed:  103816 Time(s)

img2.jpg

shustrik
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowing down the maps to download Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
  • Process double-click events and handle them the "usual way" (zoom-in or out), instead of placing two markers on the map when the user double clicks.

This was rather tough, as Google doesn't separate the Double Click event from the Click event, which results in the fact that there are 2 or 3 events (depending on the browser), that can also have different click locations... Anyway, the result is that now there is an additional 0.5sec delay between a click and a marker appearing. This doesn't prevent a user from fast line drawing - You can still click points all around, they're just going to appear no sooner than in half a second Laughing

Cristian Streng wrote:
  • Try to redesign the page a bit to make it fit all the form elements at 1024x768 and 1280x800. For example, you could move the ads to the left/right, or you could make the map a bit smaller (maybe auto-sized based on browser size).

Done!

Cristian Streng wrote:
  • Processing of non-convex polygons is sometimes incorrect, there's a small area that's selected but not covered by any rectangle. It only happens in some cases - see the screenshots attached.

There indeed was an issue there, which has to be fixed now. However, due to the imprecision of the map projection (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made the Earth round if it were my decision Laughing ), it sometimes happens, that a part of the selected area appears to be outside the area that the script has deemed to be mappable. You can just zoom in and see close-up that all the parts of the polygon are in fact in their respective rectangles

Cristian Streng wrote:
  • As I said, this could be a step towards a GUI downloader. Here's how I envision it to work: the users visit your page, select the map to download and get a .map file (they should be able to download the info as a file instead of copy/pasting it); then they open the file with a GUI that downloads all the needed map tiles. The big advantage here is the fact that the GUI does not need to display a map or allow the user to choose the coordinates, so it would be a lot easier to design based on the perl scripts.

Now downloading as a file! Cool
kwh
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Why is it that when I run MapTileFE and select the included .map file of Tokyo I get an error "cant open perl script MapTileCacher.perl no such file or directory" when both programs are there in the same folder and Maptilechacher will run separately but is not activated by maptilefe?

Thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwh wrote:
Hi

Why is it that when I run MapTileFE and select the included .map file of Tokyo I get an error "cant open perl script MapTileCacher.perl no such file or directory" when both programs are there in the same folder and Maptilechacher will run separately but is not activated by maptilefe?

Thanks

Make sure your current folder is the same as the one containing the scripts and the .map file.

Cristian
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Narrowing down the maps to download Reply with quote

shustrik wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

This was rather tough, as Google doesn't separate the Double Click event from the Click event, which results in the fact that there are 2 or 3 events (depending on the browser), that can also have different click locations... Anyway, the result is that now there is an additional 0.5sec delay between a click and a marker appearing. This doesn't prevent a user from fast line drawing - You can still click points all around, they're just going to appear no sooner than in half a second Laughing

Thanks Smile Hope you don't mind me pointing out a bug - marker moving doesn't seem to work fine, only the last marker moves correctly, the other move independently of selected area bounds. See attached screenshot.

shustrik wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Done!

Great, it looks fine in IE, overlaps with the ads in Firefox (but with Adblock enabled looks fine again).

shustrik wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

There indeed was an issue there, which has to be fixed now. However, due to the imprecision of the map projection (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made the Earth round if it were my decision Laughing ), it sometimes happens, that a part of the selected area appears to be outside the area that the script has deemed to be mappable. You can just zoom in and see close-up that all the parts of the polygon are in fact in their respective rectangles.

That's okay, thank you!

shustrik wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Now downloading as a file! Cool

Great again! Now all that's left (for me) to do is write that GUI for Windows to read .map files and download the tiles...

img3.jpg
 Description:
moving markers
 Filesize:  74.52 KB
 Viewed:  103723 Time(s)

img3.jpg

img4.jpg
 Description:
Firefox screenshot
 Filesize:  139.52 KB
 Viewed:  103723 Time(s)

img4.jpg

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
kwh
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
kwh wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Make sure your current folder is the same as the one containing the scripts and the .map file.

Cristian

Cristian
the .map file, maptilefe.pl and maptilecacher.pl are all in the same folder
but running maptilefe stating .map file doesnt start maptilecacher

any ideas..?

Regards
shustrik
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwh wrote:

any ideas..?

Regards

Your script name is MapTileCacher.pl, while MapTileFE refers to MapTileCacher.perl
kwh
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwh wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
kwh wrote:
Hi

Thanks

Cristian

Cristian

any ideas..?

Regards

Criistian

I got it working thanks
I had an older version of maptilercacher

Regards
shustrik
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Narrowing down the maps to download Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Thanks Smile Hope you don't mind me pointing out a bug - marker moving doesn't seem to work fine, only the last marker moves correctly, the other move independently of selected area bounds. See attached screenshot.

Great, it looks fine in IE, overlaps with the ads in Firefox (but with Adblock enabled looks fine again).

All fixed now!
mwice
Power User

Phone Type: nokia n95-8Gb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shustrik,

thanks for your work ! Regards.

artesea
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you enable scroll whell for zoom please Smile
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artesea wrote:

Sure, what phone? Smile
artesea
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asking for the Shustrik's .map Creation Tool to have mouse scroll wheel action. Wink
Code:
map.enableScrollWheelZoom();
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artesea wrote:
I was asking for the Shustrik's .map Creation Tool to have mouse scroll wheel action. Wink
Code:
map.enableScrollWheelZoom();

Aah... I thought you had a phone with a scroll-wheel on the side and wanted to use it for zoom Very Happy
Yuri
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have only one question...
using MapTileFE, MapTileCacher 1.21 still gets caching 32 tiles per file??
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuri wrote:
i have only one question...
using MapTileFE, MapTileCacher 1.21 still gets caching 32 tiles per file??

By default it caches one map tile per file, but you can configure it to cache 32.
shustrik
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artesea wrote:

Spent some time to find out how to handle scroll wheel events in both Firefox and IE, but now it works great - zooms in/out when the mouse pointer is inside the map and scrolls the page when outside in both browsers Cool
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shustrik wrote:
artesea wrote:

Spent some time to find out how to handle scroll wheel events in both Firefox and IE, but now it works great - zooms in/out when the mouse pointer is inside the map and scrolls the page when outside in both browsers Cool

Ah, that wasn't easy. Smile I had the same problem with gmap-track but I just resized the map to make sure the entire page always fits the screen.

Cristian
shustrik
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Ah, that wasn't easy. Smile I had the same problem with gmap-track but I just resized the map to make sure the entire page always fits the screen.

Cristian

Here is the code in case You need it again someday:

Code:
var mouseinside=false;

function mousewheel(event){
  if (mouseinside) {
    if (event) {
      if (event.preventDefault && (Function == event.preventDefault.constructor))
        event.preventDefault();
      event.returnValue = false;
    }
    return false;
  } else {
    return true;
  }
}

if (window.addEventListener)
  window.addEventListener('DOMMouseScroll', mousewheel, false);
window.onmousewheel = document.onmousewheel = mousewheel;

GEvent.addListener(map, "mouseover", function(point) {
  mouseinside = true;
});

GEvent.addListener(map, "mouseout", function(point) {
  mouseinside = false;
});
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: