Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

[Fixed] GPS not working on TYTN II
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinitwins
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: [Fixed] GPS not working on TYTN II Reply with quote

installed mgmaps as per instructions on the win installation page (IBM Java, storage fix and gpsid). used GPSID to configure virtual com port 7 and made the changes in mgmaps as well.

BUT GPS doesnt work - the debug windows shows this error message:

Error connecting to comm:COM7, MSG: Scheme not found: comm

Error connecting to GPS, MSG: Scheme not found: nokiacomm

any suggestions?

thanks.
JoJoJo
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try com4
vinitwins
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried com4, 6, 7 and 9 - no luck with any of them...

do i need to use navizon instead of gpsid?

cheers!
Noir25
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem that MGM does not recognize the internal gps of HTC TYTNII. If I try to select internal gps under gps settings of MGM i get message Internal GPS N/A. GPS Viewer shows position perfectly.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noir25 wrote:
I have the same problem that MGM does not recognize the internal gps of HTC TYTNII. If I try to select internal gps under gps settings of MGM i get message Internal GPS N/A. GPS Viewer shows position perfectly.

The GPS doesn't work that way, you need to select "Serial" in gps settings, then enter the name of the (virtual) serial port assigned for the GPS. See http://www.mgmaps.com/winset for more details.
Noir25
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If follow settings/gps/select device/serial there options for com1 com7 and com9. but gpsviewer if I let to scan the port sugests to use com4.
Noir25
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing manually the gps settings to port com4 doesn't bring the gps functionality to MGM
Blazter
MGMapper

Phone Type: HTC TyTn 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same problem, mgmaps maybe doesn´t recgonize the Tytn 2 GPS,
any suggestions?

thx
Blazter
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, my GPS is working perfectly on MGmaps offline stored maps

You just need to Download GPSviewer
Open Cam Port (in my case COM4 is working)
Baudrate: 4800 (i dont know what it really does, but it's working)

After that you will see at "GPS Status" the satellites (blue and red spots)
...Now you just need to open MGmaps, seletc Menu>GPS>Where am i?
done

*ps:does anyone know whats the difference between Blue and Red satellites?

simple.. later

Last edited by Blazter on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blazter
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im using GPSviewer 1.0 that came on HTC's CD
but i guess the other versions will work fine too

Link:
(removed)
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazter wrote:
im using GPSviewer 1.0 that came on HTC's CD
but i guess the other versions will work fine too

Link:
(removed)

Actually, the link you posted is a java application (gpsviewer 2.5) and I'm pretty sure that's not what you are using and it wouldn't work...
Blazter
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm i ll see if i can find the GPSviewer, anyhow just look for Gpsviewer 1.0
jayjay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Noir25 wrote:

The GPS doesn't work that way, you need to select "Serial" in gps settings, then enter the name of the (virtual) serial port assigned for the GPS. See http://www.mgmaps.com/winset for more details.

Hi I've followed the instructions at http://www.mgmaps.com/winset. Have also installed the GPSID Configuration utility but it doesn't seem to work.

The GPSID info is:
1. COM4
2. 4800 baud rate

I configured the serial port to be COM4 and then nothing happens.

I'm using an O2 xda orbit 2, if that's any help
chuibacca

Phone Type: (HTC KAISER TTYNII) A.K.A AT&T TILT

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: WORKS GREAT ON AT&T TILT---THANKS CRISTIAN!! Reply with quote

Followed the directions, over and over, and didn't have to use/download any other GPS program to make it work.

Found out there is an issue if you change the setting under settings/system/external gps. You have to hard-reset the device to come out of it (unless you plan on using an external gps device).
[Hard reset restores your device to factory defaults. In other words, it wipes EVERYTHING out!]

Also found out that the only maps that I could get to load were the LIVE maps. I kept troubleshooting a connection error, and tried changing maps. Seems to work great on LIVE maps, now have to check configs to see why the others don't load...

Thanks again for the app, and the time you've spent with getting it working!!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WORKS GREAT ON AT&T TILT---THANKS CRISTIAN!! Reply with quote

chuibacca wrote:
Also found out that the only maps that I could get to load were the LIVE maps. I kept troubleshooting a connection error, and tried changing maps. Seems to work great on LIVE maps, now have to check configs to see why the others don't load...

The problem could be support for jpg images (but weme supports jpgs just fine on most phones)... live maps are provided as .png, while yahoo maps are .jpg now. Satellite imagery tiles are jpg with any provider.
toza

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, so what's the solution for this problem? Question
Btw I can't find Gpsviewer 1.0 on the web, just Gpsviewer 2.5 for Java
matthias.matthias
Junior

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS works via J9 on my kaiser but have a look here for a different approach.

http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1854
jakerzon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: My Tilt now works with GPS and MGMaps Reply with quote

First, I'd like to strongly thank Christian Streng for the free availability of this program. I plan on thanking him more by making a donation, because this program is excellent.

My post is going to be long. Sorry about that.

I have the Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser PPC with WM6.1

My goal was to have stored satellite maps with road information and GPS functionality for free and without a data plan. This is very important for me because I intend to be in a location without cell phone coverage. This is for the purposes of Geocaching, Camping, Hiking, Biking, out in BFE doing who knows what and 100 other useful and fun activities.

In order to make the GPS functional on all levels and in all applications, the two programs, GPSGate and GPSPortPPC, need to be running. This may not be necessary for most programs' GPS functions to work, but it is vital for MGMaps on my Tilt.

After experimenting and trial and error and troubleshooting with various ROMs and Radios for the HTC Kaiser, I noticed that they won't necessarily all work the same way. That is to say, some functions of the phone will work, others will not. Or some programs will like the setup, while others will not. So, after frustrations of not getting certain phone functions to work after installing a ROM, I would move onto another ROM or another radio just to see if it "took."

I tried the latest HypderDragon which turned out to be my golden ROM. It's very clean and fast. I then installed Esmertec Jbed as the Java application to run MGMaps. At this point in time, I still have not been able to make the GPS functional through Jbed, but the maps are pristine and fast! So then I tried the J9 Java application from IBM, which is no longer available from IBM, but I had downloaded it a long time ago and had it on my hard drive. I installed it with the fixes that enable it to use the "stored maps" feature and read from the Micro SD Chip.

http://www.mgmaps.com/winset/

I had previously downloaded maps for my area from "MS Live Maps" using gMapMaker in 1 to 18 level zooms and transferred that data (which totalled around 3.5 GB) to the 4 GB Micro SDHC via a USB 2.0 card reader (NOT through the activesync connection).

I then tried the GPS functionality in MGMaps with the GPSGate version 2.01 which didn't work. Then, I installed the upgraded version 2.60.301 AND GPSPortPPC v.36. I used the GPSID and set the program com to COM9. I ran them both at the same time and set the GPSGate program to Virtual COM1 and started GPSPort to "listen" on COM1.

http://linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1331

Apparently, this was the magic setup for MGMaps in IBM's Java app to work with the Tilt's GPS. Now, when I start MGMaps, it will acquire a lock on the GPS in less than 3 seconds. The load times for the maps at level 18 are also very good. At level 16, there's hardly any pause or jumpiness while scrolling so it's perfect for driving around town.

Now, I have satellite imagery of my entire town and much of the outlying area (at up to zoom level 18 ) available for me to view on my Tilt while knowing exactly where I am on that map. It took me a long time to discover all the things that could go wrong and read all the threads of people's GPS's not working, but I was determined and felt like sharing my approach.

Bottom line, if your Tilt's GPS works for other programs, then it will work with MGMaps.

Some cooked ROMs seem to not be able to make use of the GPS or the camera or there could be some incompatibilities with certain programs. This is the difficulty that I ran into when I first tried to use MGMaps. I kept trying ROM after ROM where I would get errors with the GPS or with the Wifi or bluetooth or "memory" errors. They were all annoying, but the "memory errors" were so inexplicable that I could only attribute the problem being with the ROM or a bad flash procedure. I tried different versions of radios and MGMaps and GPSGate, GPSPortPPC, etc. The newest radio 1.65 or something completely disabled my GPS chip and 1.64 disabled the camera. So, my point is to keep trying different ROMs and radios if one isn't working for you. No where did I find someone posting their stable ROM setup with MGMaps for the Tilt.

So here is my setup:
At&T Tilt / HTC 8925 / Kaiser
As of 6-17-08
ROM version: HyperDragon III Lite WWE from June '08
Radio version: 1.58.25.17 (very fast and functional, especially with GPS)
HardSPL version: 3.56

Windows Mobile 6.1 with various applications. All are useful and don't take a lot of memory.
GPSGate version 2.60.301 (version 2.01 did not work properly for MGMaps)
GPSPortPPC v.36
QuickGPS
IBM J9 Java
MGMaps v1.41.02 signed
Youtube video app.
Skype over wifi.
Functional Hybrid (streets and satellite) "MS Live Maps" Maps in MGMaps.
Functional GPS in all applications including MGMaps which is a Java app. (All at the same time)
Functional GPS picture capabilities.
rnelson

Phone Type: HTC Tilt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: mgmaps on htc tilt Reply with quote

I would like to echo jakerzon's thanks to Cristian for developing a very nice application. Also thanks to jakerzon for the detailed instructions on getting mgmaps to work on the tilt. However, I am not willing to risk flashing a new ROM, not least because there seems to be quite a bit of trial and error involved in finding a ROM that will work with mgmaps and the other apps I might need.

It seems that GPSGate is key to getting mgmaps to work on the tilt. However, I haven't been able to get this installed. Has anyone else had success installing GPSGate on the AT&T Tilt or does anyone know of other tools that could be used to get mgmaps to recognize the internal GPS?

Cheers - R
rbabu
Junior

Phone Type: ATT Tilt (TyTN II, Kaiser)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, i've been scanning the forums for 2 days now actively trying to get gps and stored maps to work on my tilt. I've finally got the answer to both.

First off, i'm using a standard att rom, but with some decidedly non-standard programs on it. The first is GPSID, which i believe is a free download from Microsoft. I had installed this before i even started mucking around with mgmaps, so it may or may not help you guys get started. I would think that the built-in external gps app in the control panel would be sufficient, but these things are nothing if not finicky. Oh, and make sure that you set the programs up to"manage gps automatically". Otherwise, nothing will be able to access the chip.

I'm also using IBM's J9 with the file system patch thingy (to be technical about it). this would probably work with the built-in jvm (which i'm moderately sure is JBed), but i'd JUST gotten the file thingy in and working, and i didn't want to start again. Some call it laziness, I prefer "hyper-economy of effort".

And the final piece to get this whole shebang working: GPS Viewer. Not the java thing that Blazter gave a link to, but the one i presume he meant. Just load up the GPS Viewer app, start up the gps chip (you'll need to know which com port it's on) and it'll get a fix shortly.

After gpsviewer turn on the gps chip, load up mgmaps, point it to the SAME com port, and voila. A fix. A little blue pointer, even to show where you are.

@blazter: sorry, i'm as clueless as you are about the satellites.

@Christian: do you suppose that the issue with the gps is that the jvm just doesn't know how to turn the chip on? Apparently, the big hurdle that GPSGate and GPSViewer solve is to activate the chip; after that, it seems to work like a charm. Could anyone test this hypothesis by running a native app like Live Search with gps at the same time as mgmaps?

AND, for everyone's gpsing pleasure, attached is the executable for GPSViewer. I highly doubt that it's version 1.0, and further doubt that it's from HTC or this hemisphere (it shows southeast asia?) but it's here.
Oh, run the executable directly from the pda. No installation.

Cheers,

--Babu

mGpsCmd.zip
 Description:
Oops. Didn't realize that .exe's needed to be zipped first. Here ya go.

Download
 Filename:  mGpsCmd.zip
 Filesize:  40.92 KB
 Downloaded:  2154 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: