Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Map overlays for Google Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geocrawler
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Map overlays for Google Earth Reply with quote

Awesome! I've always wanted this in Google Earth! Previously I used Google Maps Overlay but it's for fetching Google Maps overlays only.

Just a month ago I was planning an application that does the same thing as this new tool, but does not rely on an external server to determine which map tiles to download. But with this excellent tool, it saves me the trouble to develop a new application for the very same purpose.

I just hope that hosting this tool will not put much strain onto your server!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Map overlays for Google Earth Reply with quote

geocrawler wrote:
Awesome! I've always wanted this in Google Earth! Previously I used Google Maps Overlay but it's for fetching Google Maps overlays only.

Just a month ago I was planning an application that does the same thing as this new tool, but does not rely on an external server to determine which map tiles to download. But with this excellent tool, it saves me the trouble to develop a new application for the very same purpose.

I just hope that hosting this tool will not put much strain onto your server!

I'm glad you like it. It shouldn't be too heavy on the server as it only generates KML files (it's plain PHP with no database for now), but it depends on the number of users... if it becomes too much I'll just open-source it.
geocrawler
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just posted a review of this tool in my blog. It can be found here:
http://technofries.blogspot.com/2008/04/yahoo-and-windows-live-maps-in-google.html
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocrawler wrote:
I have just posted a review of this tool in my blog. It can be found here:
http://technofries.blogspot.com/2008/04/yahoo-and-windows-live-maps-in-google.html

Thanks! I have added today some new features, like the ability to configure transparency and map offsets (see http://www.mgmaps.com/kml)... they are useful for some areas like China where the maps are intentionally not aligned with the satellite imagery.
geocrawler
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I have added today some new features, like the ability to configure transparency and map offsets (see http://www.mgmaps.com/kml)... they are useful for some areas like China where the maps are intentionally not aligned with the satellite imagery.

The features you added are no doubt useful, but one thing about setting the offset for China is that we have to take some time to measure the offset ourselves. Do you know where to get a list of offset values? If you have it, maybe you can modify your script so that it automatically adds offset values.

Slightly off-topic: Does MGMaps have the ability to set image offset? I remember steeven created a ditu proxy for MGMaps, but it was down long ago.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocrawler wrote:
The features you added are no doubt useful, but one thing about setting the offset for China is that we have to take some time to measure the offset ourselves. Do you know where to get a list of offset values? If you have it, maybe you can modify your script so that it automatically adds offset values.

No, I don't know... if you find a link with the Chinese offsets tell me and I'll add them to my page.

geocrawler wrote:
Slightly off-topic: Does MGMaps have the ability to set image offset? I remember steeven created a ditu proxy for MGMaps, but it was down long ago.

Not yet, but will be added in v1.4x.
ajs

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Great kml need help Reply with quote

Hi I love your map overlay, I need to be able to add an overlay that is in google maps format but is not on googles servers, it is a custom map like world of warcraft. Can you help? Would you consider sending me the php so I can modify it to my url? thanks Very Happy
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Great kml need help Reply with quote

ajs wrote:
Hi I love your map overlay, I need to be able to add an overlay that is in google maps format but is not on googles servers, it is a custom map like world of warcraft. Can you help? Would you consider sending me the php so I can modify it to my url? thanks Very Happy

Yes, I have sent you a PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: