Using Garmin GPS
Select messages from
# through # FAQ

MGMaps -> Miscellaneous

#1: Using Garmin GPS Author: paul01 PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 am
Hello, everyone. Hoping this is the correct forum for the problem.

I recently purchased a url][/url] Garmin GPS When I went to the Garmin website to register it (warranty) I was prevented from doing so by Garmin's site which says that you can only use Windows or Mac. I called customer service and was told that they provide no assistance for Linux (no surprise, right!)

Garmin will provide a free update of their maps, but ONLY if the unit is registered on-line. And at this point I'm prevented from doing so.

Even so, I cannot download updated maps, newer firmware, and other features to the GPS since it first requires downloading and installing some small Garmin applications. Those are then used to get and load the maps into the Garmin (via USB).

Has anyone had any success updating a Garmin GPS using SuSE? I hate to say this but I am considering the unthinkable -- installing Windoze as a dual-boot. I really do not want to put Windoze on any of my computers as my home have been Windoze-free for about 10 years. But...

I searched these openSuSE forums but found no help. I also Googled "Linux and Garmin GPS" and "SuSE Garmin GPS" but found only some references to programs to create one's own maps. I don't want to do that. I only want to be able to access the Garmin website, register my unit, and periodically get updates into my GPS.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Can anyone help?

#2:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:32 pm
It's quite offtopic for these forums... Try forums about standalone GPS devices, for instance or

MGMaps -> Miscellaneous

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1