Maps in MGMapCache for use in other App
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

MGMaps -> Stored Maps

#1: Maps in MGMapCache for use in other App Author: franc PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 pm
    —
Hello,

is there any other Map-App which can use the mgm-Maps (cached in 1024 tiles per file) which I downloaded and used for the good old MGMaps for BlackBerry?

I have about 12 GB maps, all cached in 1024 tiles per mgm-file.
But now I have no more BlackBerry phone but an Android, a Samsung Galaxy S2, and very very unfortunately there is no Android portation for MGMaps, which is really, really sad, because MGMaps was very good, even when development stopped.

There are many Apps for Android with offline Maps, but I don't want to download again some 10 GB when I did it before Wink

Could anyone hint me?
This would be very nice, I am still with a little hope.

Kindest regards, franc

#2:  Author: ginzon PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:42 pm
    —
There is no android version and won't b there too..
As u knw the dev is quite busy with other projects so he has no time updating even the existing version.. consider project as almost dead...

Also since Google now provides free offline maps there is no point in developing one too...

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/07/download-map-area-added-to-labs-in.html

Cummon' u have an Android.. how I curse my Bada OS phone for not having so many things... Enjoy it dude...!!

#3:  Author: franc PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:48 am
    —
ginzon wrote:
...Also since Google now provides free offline maps there is no point in developing one too...

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2011/07/download-map-area-added-to-labs-in.html...
No, this is not at all comparable to the good old MGMaps, not at all. This sounds like a cheap excuse Wink

But one thing might be really right: this project is dead.
MGMaps is dead.
And it is right too, that the evolving Android OS is much better than the dying BB-OS Smile

The only thing I see as a solution for further use of my big maptile-pile is to program a little application which can "decompress" (unpack) the tile-images from the 1024 files-per-tile-mgm-files.
A kind of map-service maybe.

#4:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm
    —
franc wrote:
MGMaps is dead.
And it is right too, that the evolving Android OS is much better than the dying BB-OS Smile

Yeah, you're probably right about MGMaps. Smile

So you think Google Maps offline maps is not comparable with MGMaps because it can only download a small area (10km) at a time? Well I've thought of that and honestly it provided everything I needed when I travelled around Europe.

#5:  Author: ginzon PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:49 am
    —
Cristian Streng wrote:
franc wrote:
MGMaps is dead.

Yeah, you're probably right about MGMaps. Smile

Why Then u just don't declare it officially dead...??

#6:  Author: franc PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:25 pm
    —
Cristian Streng wrote:
...So you think Google Maps offline maps is not comparable with MGMaps because it can only download a small area (10km) at a time? Well I've thought of that and honestly it provided everything I needed when I travelled around Europe.

Not only a small area (it is 16km not 10), but only 10 cached areas as maximum. And they are automatically deleted after 30 days.
It is better than nothing but really not comparable to MGMaps, there is no question.

To be really honest, we don't need any maps at all. It is for most of us just a kind of GPS-playing. Why is all this stuff mostly used by men?
It's a game for technic-lovers and all-controllers Smile

In this sense you are right, some 10 maps from google in the cache must be enough for real use Wink

#7:  Author: amjl2000 PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:28 am
    —
I'm going to be in receipt of an android tablet very soon (happy xmas me!), with GPS and wifi but no other data access... so having a program similar in function to MGMaps would be great!
There are a few other offline map applications for android. But they all behave slightly differently, and it appears (from initial searching) that none do exactly what you might want (or maybe they do, everyone's requirements are different)

The biggest benefit to MGMaps for me is baing able to take Ordance Survey maps offline (in the UK), perfect for walking. This functionality would be a huge bonus if i can get it on a tablet. Google Maps will only have google mapping (obviously) so will be restricted to road and city navigation - which to be fair is good enough for 95% of users, and will be good enough for me 80% of the time too.

So I agree with franc, googlemaps is OK, but pales into comparison against mgmaps when you consider the more niche requirements of users.

MGMaps -> Stored Maps

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1