GPS on Motorolla A1000 & E1000
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
MGMaps -> GPS Problems and Suggestions

#1: GPS on Motorolla A1000 & E1000 Author: dazjwil7Location: Warrington PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:42 pm
    —
Excellent work Christian with the GMaps app.

I downloaded the latest version 1.25.02 last night ans I was excited to
see that we can now use the internal GPS.

However when I activate the GPS Settings as 'Internal' in the settings menu, I get this error message "Internal GPS Features are not available on this phone"

Arrggh!! I hate this phone, I really do... my GPS is activated and it works fine when I use the receiver via 3's services.

Can you advise if it is possible to use the internal GPS on the A1000 with your excellent App ?

Thanks

#2:  Author: ALwarriorLocation: Italy PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:10 pm
    —
I've the same problem on A925 and also "Bluetooth are not available on this phone". I've tryed to change "off", "on", "discoverable" but it doesn't change.

#3:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:11 am
    —
Unfortunately other users have reported it too, it seems that the Motorola A1000 does not follow the JSR-179 standard when implementing internal GPS support, that's the only reason you could get that message. The same happens with A925 and internal GPS support.

On the other hand, bluetooth should definitely be supported, since the phone uses the Symbian operating system. I'll investigate the problem.

Cristian

#4:  Author: gpslubitel PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:57 am
    —
Probably will help
http://trix2.cellmania.com/downloads/downloads/pdf/DG_A1000.pdf

#5:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:06 pm
    —
Thanks, that document DOES help, and I'll probably have a version out soon to support Motorolas. I thought Motorola's location API was not public, like Sprint's GPS API.

Cristian

#6:  Author: mightyEx PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:47 pm
    —
As I posted earlier if you get the internal GPS of the A1000 to work then it would work on A925, A835, E1000 too since they all use the same API (com.motorola.location). Use Motomu to set the access rights for the GPS-Midlet to full access. See the earlier quoted link. Most of the links posted here still work. Else see here.

#7:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 pm
    —
mightyEx: Let me see if I get it right... Every user needs to use Motomu (found here) to hack their phone in order to enable the location API in unsigned applications (or applications signed with a self-signed certificate). Am I right?

Cristian

#8:  Author: mightyEx PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:59 am
    —
Cristian Streng wrote:
mightyEx: Let me see if I get it right... Every user needs to use Motomu (found here) to hack their phone in order to enable the location API in unsigned applications (or applications signed with a self-signed certificate). Am I right?

Cristian

Yes, you are right. It's a must at least for the E1000 and I think also for the A-series. But I didn't read about A-series and motomu. This is maybe due to the fact that symbian apps are working too on the A-series. And it seems that symbian apps have full access to the GPS receiver without any modification. But the access is restricted only for J2ME apps. So motomu may work on those mobile phones too. The author of "find the place" (Per Kofod Hansen) who wrote the application for his A835 added a wrong certificate to the JAD file. For the A835 this would be enough to access the gps receiver. But it isn't enough for the E1000 which stops the installation with an authorisation error.
There is another application to set access rights in J2ME applications. It is Moto MIDlets Manager (try babelfish to translate the page). The language of the app is russian and english (default is russian). I haven't tested the app yet.
If you need the com.motorola.location API classes and the developer guide you will find anything you need here: http://rapidshare.de/files/19250798/gps_stuff.zip.html

the archive contains the following:

- com.motorola.location API to build and compile gps-related midlets for E1000 (or A835, A925, A1000)
- EmGPS (as in the original archive with ready compiled midlet and source code)
- find the place (ready compiled midlet and source code)
- motomu to unlock the access rights for gps midlets
- loc:draw! ( http://m.ash.to/locdraw/ ) - a gps midlet to draw and monitor the location. Was available for users of 3 austria. Similar to locator from http://www.geomaia.co.uk/. Uses com.motorola.location API
- unknown application "GPSMIDlet" found on umtslink.at, uses com.motorola.location API
- E1000 developer guide (this version includes the description of the location API - in newer versions this part has been taken out)
- E1000 media guide - not necessary but for completeness

#9:  Author: mightyEx PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:02 pm
    —
little update:

http://per.nitro.dk/ is up again. And a little correction - Per used an A920 not an A835. The location API com.motorola.location is used in A835, A920, A925, A1000 and E1000 (more models ?). Moto MIDlets Manager doesn't work with E1000. I can't set any rights for midlets. Motomu works without problems. To access kjava folder in phone and/or on flash card I'm using P2Kmanager. With latest beta V3.3.0 or V3.2.9 access to flash card should be no problem. As an alternative you can use a card reader/writer.

#10:  Author: dazjwil7Location: Warrington PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 pm
    —
HI people

Ive tried downloading the file motomu.rar from the link that christian & mightyex have stated.. but no luck. It keeps saying download session invalid.

Can anyone send this file onto me via email or FTP etc

Cheers
Darren

#11:  Author: dazjwil7Location: Warrington PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:25 pm
    —
dazjwil7 wrote:
HI people

Ive tried downloading the file motomu.rar from the link that christian & mightyex have stated.. but no luck. It keeps saying download session invalid.

Can anyone send this file onto me via email or FTP etc

Cheers
Darren

Sods Law eh?! ive been trying to download this for 3 days now so I posted this message and then tried one more time and it worked!! Embarassed so please ignore me Smile

#12:  Author: gpslubitel PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:40 am
    —
work mgmaps and internal GPS in A1000?

#13:  Author: mightyEx PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:34 pm
    —
Not yet in current version.

#14:  Author: gpslubitel PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:07 am
    —
Sad

#15:  Author: gpslubitel PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:46 am
    —
what news?

#16:  Author: gpslubitel PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:52 am
    —
when work?

#17:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:59 am
    —
I am working on adding GPS implementations for Motorola, Sprint, Blackberry (by adding bluetooth support), and other platforms (Windows Mobile), I will announce on the news page when these are added.

Cristian

#18:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:08 pm
    —
Hi guys,

I have a test version with support for Motorola internal location API available at http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha2.html, it's built on the A1000 specs sent by gpslubitel. In order to test it, select "Internal (Motorola)" for the GPS Device in Settings/GPS. Let me know if it works!

Regards,
Cristian

#19:  Author: mightyEx PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:46 pm
    —
Hi there, the jad file points to the wrong jar file. But as I thought the jar file name is like the jad name with the extension .jar. So I was able to load the right jar file.
I tested the alpha version on my E1000. Access rights for the application were unlocked with motomu (as described earlier).
At first the application uses the gps and the little satellite icon shows activity. But the values for lat and lon are not correct.

I tried mgmaps at the known location lat: 52.47xxxx and lon: 13.61xxxx .
Mgmaps shows the following values: lat: -85.05xxxx and lon: 817.01xxxx .

Latitude must be between -90 / +90 and longitude -180 / +180

I think there is something wrong in formula or calculation.

#20:  Author: Cristian Streng PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:09 pm
    —
Hi,

I fixed the link, and the code will probably go into the main application in the next version. There's definitely something wrong with computing the coords, I'm going to check - however I'm glad the app works. I'll post here another message when I have another version with more debugging info.

Cristian

MGMaps -> GPS Problems and Suggestions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 6