Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

gMapMaker - Map Tile Downloader for Windows
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: gMapMaker - Map Tile Downloader for Windows Reply with quote

I'm happy to announce that gMapMaker, a tool initially developed by Damien Debin can now download map tiles in a format supported by MGMaps. You can get latest version 0.7 from http://www.mgmaps.com/cache, it's a self-extracting zip archive. You need to have .NET Framework v2.0 installed for the program to work.

The program is easy to use and has the functionality of the previous MapTileCacher.pl and MapTileFE.pl scripts. It can only download map tiles from Google for now, but support for other sources will be added soon. To use it, follow these steps:
  1. Install gMapMaker. When the installation is complete the application should start automatically.
  2. Choose one of the following two:
    1. batch download: Open your browser, navigate to http://www.mgmaps.com/create, select the area you want to download. Click Generate and save the .map file on your computer. Back in gMapMaker, select "MGMaps mode, use a .map file" as the operating mode then click "Go" and select the .map file saved.
    2. single area/zoom: Enter the coords, select the zoom level and map type for the area to download. Make sure the cache folder path ends with "MGMapsCache". Make sure you have selected "MGMaps mode, use entered area" as the operating mode. Click "Go".
  3. When the download is ready, you'll find all the map tiles in the selected MGMapsCache folder. Just copy this folder with all its subfolders to your memory card and configure MGMaps to use it. Move the map in MGMaps to the area/zoom level you downloaded map tiles for - use Menu->Go To and enter the coordinates, zoom level and map type.
  4. The application can also use a set of proxies for satellite imagery download in order to avoid having your IP address temp-banned by Google (which happens if you download many satellite tiles in a short time). UPDATE: To improve proxy functionality in gMapMaker, WideCap (successor of FreeCap) works perfectly... or anyway better than the integrated proxy support. UPDATE 2: You can try installing Fiddler2 http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler2/version.asp. It captures all your gMapMaker traffic, you should then be able to configure fiddler to redirect all it's traffic through another proxy.
Post any opinions and suggestions below...

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 am; edited 15 times in total
lokura
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i´m testing now, and it seems to work, but only one tile per file?, and, it works only online? for ozi maps works off line and its dinamite using the GoogleMV cache
anyway the possibility of use proxis is a must
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokura wrote:
i´m testing now, and it seems to work, but only one tile per file?, and, it works only online? for ozi maps works off line and its dinamite using the GoogleMV cache
anyway the possibility of use proxis is a must

I'm not sure I understand what you mean completely. Yes, it's one tile per file for now, and can only download one zoom level/one area/only google maps each time, it has the ability to use proxies only for satellite imagery download, but it's better than nothing.
lokura
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use this program from last version 0.4, it works fine for oziexplorer map´s offline using the GoogleMV cache folder, where we have the previusly dowloaded maps, but for your program only work online
if it can work offline with MGMaps you can have a very big area into your hd´s pc and in few minutes make a little zone ready to use without go into google, it can be usefull for phones without a big storage (not mine)
one tile per file is really a minor problem and the use of proxys is very well although it only works with sat, i think for driving maps it´snt very necesary (at the moment) i have been banned only for sat (only about a day) and i really have downloaded a lot
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokura wrote:
i use this program from last version 0.4, it works fine for oziexplorer map´s offline using the GoogleMV cache folder, where we have the previusly dowloaded maps, but for your program only work online
if it can work offline with MGMaps you can have a very big area into your hd´s pc and in few minutes make a little zone ready to use without go into google, it can be usefull for phones without a big storage (not mine)

OK, I think I understand what you mean - you want to split large images into smaller map tiles and be able to use them in mgmaps. While that is possible in theory, it's not implemented in gmapmaker yet, but I'll discuss about it with the author of gmapmaker.
lokura
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry but the language is really an impediment
no, i only want to dowload the maps whit GoogleMV (http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml?www.silber2004.narod.ru/GoogleMV1.zip , but i think you now it) and then generate the maps with gmapmaker offline, without internet connection
gmapmaker can do this with oziexplorer map´s but not with your program
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokura wrote:
sorry but the language is really an impediment
no, i only want to dowload the maps whit GoogleMV (http://narod.yandex.ru/100.xhtml?www.silber2004.narod.ru/GoogleMV1.zip , but i think you now it) and then generate the maps with gmapmaker offline, without internet connection
gmapmaker can do this with oziexplorer map´s but not with your program

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. gMapMaker is an application similar with GoogleMV - it downloads maps and adapts them for another application. It can convert them to oziexplorer format (generate a .map file and build large jpg files), or it can convert them to MGMaps format (generate cache.conf and change a bit the map tile naming). Now, I talked with both the authors of gMapMaker and GoogleMV, only gMapMaker was adapted to work with MGMaps. There are a lot of things on the to-do list for enhancements to gMapMaker, including add support for other sources (Yahoo/Microsoft), add support for multiple tiles-per-file, and maybe later split large images (maybe described by an oziexplorer .map file) into tiles to make them compatible with mgmaps.
lokura
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmapmaker can work with the googlemv cache folder to work with no internet connection
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lokura wrote:
gmapmaker can work with the googlemv cache folder to work with no internet connection

Yeah, I suppose you can use gMapMaker to create a larger image and an oziexplorer file. But what's the point? That's not needed for MGMaps, you just need to download the tiles and store them in the cache.
@lice
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian, I think lokura mean the folowing:
with GoogleMV you can download unlimited number of google sat images (without getting banned- the same as with Google earth, right?) to your hard drives' cache folder for accessing offline later. So lokura want (or suggest) to use these images for getting tiles for MGMaps.
IMO opinion it is not so important if it can't be done in one go- by mean of 1 program from A to Z.

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@lice wrote:
Cristian, I think lokura mean the folowing:
with GoogleMV you can download unlimited number of google sat images (without getting banned- the same as with Google earth, right?) to your hard drives' cache folder for accessing offline later. So lokura want (or suggest) to use these images for getting tiles for MGMaps.
IMO opinion it is not so important if it can't be done in one go- by mean of 1 program from A to Z.

OK... GoogleMV has quite a few problems for me, I was only able to run it once with satellite imagery. And guess what, I got banned quickly Smile The good thing about GoogleMV is that it allows you to select the map area to download using a GUI, but something similar will be added to gMapMaker.
@lice
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
And guess what, I got banned quickly Smile

OK, maybe something has changed since I used this program somewhere ~1 year ago, then it worked without notices about ban for too many downloads.

lokura
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ @lice you are right

the reason to use this program is that is more user frienly at this moment and it can use a proxy too

the point was explained before "you can have a very big area into your hd´s pc and in few minutes make a little zone ready to use without go into google, it can be usefull for phones without a big storage", i´ve 1Gb SD dedicated to MGMaps, so i suggest it for people with a few Mb, or with a really big cache
you can add tiles to te cache, but you can´t extract a selective zone from it, so havin the maps estored in the pc, you can make a little area in few minutes
in any case the program works fine, we will wait for new versions
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Since version 0.5.0.0 beta 2, gMapMaker can work with .map files generated by http://www.mgmaps.com/create in order to provide "batch" downloads of several zoom levels for an area. See the top of this topic for usage instructions.

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
lolajos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: gMapMaker does not work Reply with quote

I downloaded the zip, unpacked the gMapMaker files to the default C:\Program Files\gMapMaker folder, and started the exe.
The system reply was: "Invalid application initialization (0xc0000135). For termination click on OK"
Sad Any comments? Nevertheless the old perl script+wget works fine! Very Happy
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: gMapMaker does not work Reply with quote

lolajos wrote:
I downloaded the zip, unpacked the gMapMaker files to the default C:\Program Files\gMapMaker folder, and started the exe.
The system reply was: "Invalid application initialization (0xc0000135). For termination click on OK"

You need to have installed the .NET Framework version 2.0 or later... use "Windows Update" to get it.
maptan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Problem with tool Reply with quote

Hi there. Got a problem with some maps. It seems to be a very specific problem.
I´ve created some maps with http://map.outdated.info/ and used it with the application. One of them, I´ve had a problem, it kept saying there was an unhandled exception (Input string was not in a correct format).
While I am not a developer, i know a little of programing. So I saw that it went all right until the end of line 6. Line 7 there was this string:

05-10: -6.154640813763535, -45 : -5.466003851291976, -41.484375

So, I saw that little -45 and tried adding ".0" after it, and it worked. Just a type handling issue, it seems. Either could be updated in map.outdated.info or on tool itself.

the updated line was
05-10: -6.154640813763535, -45.0 : -5.466003851291976, -41.484375

Hope it helps.

Btw, nice tool, thanks a lot!

Matias
gMapMaker
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give some answers :

* Proxies are useful only for downloading satellite or hybrid tiles as Google doesn't ban when you download regular "driving" map... But you can still use proxies with this kind of download by changing the parameter UseProxyForDrivingMapDownload in gMapMaker.exe.config

* A hint : In batch download, you can select multiple .map files at the same time.

Quote:
How do I get the Chinese driving maps (maps for China are now available at ditu.google.com, at maps.google.com you just have grey areas) ?

You have to edit config file gMapMaker.exe.config and replace, for setting GoogleMT, line
Code:
http://mt*.google.com/mt?n=404&v=w2.70&x=XXXX&y=YYYY&zoom=ZZZZ
with line
Code:
http://mapgoogle.mapabc.com/googlechina/maptile?v=w2.70&x=XXXX&y=YYYY&zoom=ZZZZ

lolajos wrote:

Yes you need .Net Framework 2.0, cf. MS .NET Framework v2.0

maptan wrote:
Hi there. Got a problem with some maps. It seems to be a very specific problem.
I´ve created some maps with http://map.outdated.info/ and used it with the application. One of them, I´ve had a problem, it kept saying there was an unhandled exception (Input string was not in a correct format).
While I am not a developer, i know a little of programing. So I saw that it went all right until the end of line 6. Line 7 there was this string:

05-10: -6.154640813763535, -45 : -5.466003851291976, -41.484375

So, I saw that little -45 and tried adding ".0" after it, and it worked. Just a type handling issue, it seems. Either could be updated in map.outdated.info or on tool itself.

Hope it helps.

Btw, nice tool, thanks a lot!

Matias

Yes, it's a bug. Here is a fix (see attachment).

Damien

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gMapMaker wrote:
Yes, it's a bug. Here is a fix (see attachment).

Thanks, I have updated the version online and changed the link to http://www.mgmaps.com/gMapMaker-setup.exe (that will always point to the latest version)
Smart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When downloading a map with the tool (using a .map-file generated on http://map.outdated.info), I sometimes get an error message:

While I understand what it says, I wonder what the programm does in this case? From the fact that I find a few tiles missing in the resulting map, I guess it just skips the tile and leaves it missing, right?

I would love to have more retries or an option to decide what to do - that would be great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21

Jump to: