Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

MGMAPS to prevent phone screensaver / lock mode kicking in
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: MGMAPS to prevent phone screensaver / lock mode kicking in Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,
one of the inconveniences while driving with mgmaps tracking you in the car, is that most phones (atleast my N95) goes to screen blank mode, and then to locked mode every minute or two (the max settings for Power saver timeout is 90s, and for Light timeout is 60secs) Sad

Is it possible for mgmaps when in foreground, to prevent the Power-saver or light-saver from kicking-in ? Otherwise, every minute or so, one needs to press a key on the phone to get the map back on the screen ! Maybe, the application can generate some keystroke to the OS which is don't care to simulate this ?

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: MGMAPS to prevent phone screensaver / lock mode kicking Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Hi Cristian,
one of the inconveniences while driving with mgmaps tracking you in the car, is that most phones (atleast my N95) goes to screen blank mode, and then to locked mode every minute or two (the max settings for Power saver timeout is 90s, and for Light timeout is 60secs) Sad

Is it possible for mgmaps when in foreground, to prevent the Power-saver or light-saver from kicking-in ? Otherwise, every minute or so, one needs to press a key on the phone to get the map back on the screen ! Maybe, the application can generate some keystroke to the OS which is don't care to simulate this ?

Regards,

I have noticed this too, I don't think it's possible to have that automatically done in MGMaps (or any other j2me application). My Nokia E50 has a max setting of 30 minutes for the power saver though, so it's not such a big problem for me.

I have found this screensaver software but I haven't been able to install it (certificate error): http://www.mobilecastle.biz/mobiles/symbian-os-9-1-9-2-applications/31473-12-09-07-cclock-v1-10-unsigned-s60v3.html. Still it may work for you, it has a power saver disable feature.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, this is the homepage: http://home.pacific.net.sg/~welic/cClock.html. Seems you need to sign it yourself.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Actually, this is the homepage: http://home.pacific.net.sg/~welic/cClock.html. Seems you need to sign it yourself.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Cristian Streng wrote:

I have noticed this too, I don't think it's possible to have that automatically done in MGMaps (or any other j2me application).

That's a disappointment. Is it not possible from a J2ME application to raise a keypress event ? If that happens, I believe it would be equivalent to us manually pressing a key on the phone keypad ? Also does J2ME not have a JNI interface support (i have no clue about J2ME) that allows access to native C/C++ API ?

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
That's a disappointment. Is it not possible from a J2ME application to raise a keypress event ? If that happens, I believe it would be equivalent to us manually pressing a key on the phone keypad ?

No, as far as I know it is not possible.

n95_rit wrote:
Also does J2ME not have a JNI interface support (i have no clue about J2ME) that allows access to native C/C++ API ?

There is no JNI in CLDC (J2ME version on Nokias/Symbian). There is JNI support available in CDC, which is supported in the IBM JVM on PDAs or Windows-Mobile smartphones.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
n95_rit wrote:
That's a disappointment. Is it not possible from a J2ME application to raise a keypress event ? If that happens, I believe it would be equivalent to us manually pressing a key on the phone keypad ?

Thanks for clarifying. What about doing certain actions from the phone like generating a sound, or bringing the mgmaps to the foreground or some such action ? Some applications on the phone, do bring the phone out of power down state - I was wondering if any of it can be triggered ?

BTW, I tried the cclock application - It seems if I "enable" Power Saving Mode but it still shows the cclock screen and requires a keypress again. If I don't enable it, my screen also gets locked. But doing the power disable is the right thing if I am not running mgmaps (when I am powered from a car charger), so the ideal solution would be to trigger from mgmaps, I guess ...

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
n95_rit wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. What about doing certain actions from the phone like generating a sound, or bringing the mgmaps to the foreground or some such action ? Some applications on the phone, do bring the phone out of power down state - I was wondering if any of it can be triggered ?

I'll check, maybe a sound, or maybe changing the display would put it to foreground. Actually, an alert would most likely work, but maybe there are better ways.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

I'll check, maybe a sound, or maybe changing the display would put it to foreground. Actually, an alert would most likely work, but maybe there are better ways.

Thanks again. The key is that the method should not require a key press to keep the mgmaps screen always visible on the display!

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, see this version attached. It flashes the backlight, shows an alert AND plays a sound every 30 seconds, still it doesn't prevent the screensaver from kicking in on my Nokia E50... To test it, enable "Prevent Screensaver" in Settings/Screen and use it with Mobile Tracking enabled or with View Friends enabled.
SteveG75
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked just fine prior to your attachment. My backlight never turned off without touching a key on the Katana II. I drove home from work which took about an hour and it never turned off. Although it did crash about half way home. Fired it back up and it worked ok.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveG75 wrote:
Mine worked just fine prior to your attachment. My backlight never turned off without touching a key on the Katana II. I drove home from work which took about an hour and it never turned off. Although it did crash about half way home. Fired it back up and it worked ok.

Right, but some people with Nokias have the screensaver kick in, even if backlight is configured to always stay on....
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's v1.37.02 signed for Nokia N95.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Here's v1.37.02 signed for Nokia N95.

Hi Cristian,
First of all, thanks for the effort. I just gave it a try and it does not seem to work. (I enabled prevent screensaver, saved and restarted mgmaps). I also tried with changed interval of 10seconds ... If I am in another application (foreground), the screen does switch to mgmaps every configured interval.

Regards,
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,
I found the following link while googling which seems to indicate that we can delay screensaver on S60 3rd edition FP1 (like N95) devices Smile Hope this helps.

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/TSJ000666_-_Controlling_screen_saver_in_MIDlets_on_S60_devices

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I actually have that code in place, it is activated if you enable the "backlight always on" option. Have you tried that? Still get the screensaver?
rauskis
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Thanks for the link. I actually have that code in place, it is activated if you enable the "backlight always on" option. Have you tried that? Still get the screensaver?

Text behind that link says "...although some early S60 3rd Edition, FP1 releases do not support this." Could it be that the N95 is one of those early releases as it was one of the first S60 3rd ed. FP1 phones on the market and that's why that code is not working on N95?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rauskis wrote:
Text behind that link says "...although some early S60 3rd Edition, FP1 releases do not support this." Could it be that the N95 is one of those early releases as it was one of the first S60 3rd ed. FP1 phones on the market and that's why that code is not working on N95?

Yes, I guess it could be, although I would expect it to be fixed in the latest firmware.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to post this earlier but I was always getting the login screen (some sort of browser/forum issue ?). I can confirm that the "Backlight on" does not solve the problem even though N95 is S60 3rd edition FP1 Sad

Regards,
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,
I did some experiment with Nokia Maps on my N95. Surprisingly, when I enable "Backlight always on" in the Nokia Maps application setting, the screensaver does not kick-in till Nokia Maps is in front. If I turn this to the "Device default" mode, then the usual behavior happens ...

So looks like the Nokia Maps (maybe using C++) is able to set the backlight on, it does seem to work..

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
So looks like the Nokia Maps (maybe using C++) is able to set the backlight on, it does seem to work..

Sure, but that is not a java application, it's a native application. I suppose there are other native applications that do the same thing ("Torch"?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: