Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

MGMAPS to prevent phone screensaver / lock mode kicking in
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msahni
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia N95, Sony Ericsson W800, I-mate Jasjar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Screensaver still coming on Reply with quote

With the latest Nokia firmware the screensaver has a maximum time span of 90 sec. I tried setting the phone backlight time at 10 seconds and power saver at 20 sec. The backlight is permanently turned on in MGMaps. With the screensaver alarm it works for 2-3 times till the screensaver and alarm come on simultaneously but then the screensaver kicks in after 2-3 times and MGMaps hangs as the screensaver alarm comes up after the screensaver is activated. However if MGMaps is running and you attend a phone-call then the screen saver doesn't come on till the call is running and MG Maps works fine till then. But as the Screen saver comes up after the call the same story is repeated.
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
n95_rit wrote:
So looks like the Nokia Maps (maybe using C++) is able to set the backlight on, it does seem to work..

Sure, but that is not a java application, it's a native application. I suppose there are other native applications that do the same thing ("Torch"?)

Hi,
I realized the same. So, how about this idea ? There is a mgmaps "sister" C++ application and mgmaps J2me communicates to it using sockets (read a similar idea somewhere). You could use TCP or other protocols. This C++ application can do things like keep backlight on, and potentially other stuff which are limited in J2ME currently ?

Also, I stumbled onto http://midpjni.com/ - maybe you are already familiar ?

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
I realized the same. So, how about this idea ? There is a mgmaps "sister" C++ application and mgmaps J2me communicates to it using sockets (read a similar idea somewhere). You could use TCP or other protocols. This C++ application can do things like keep backlight on, and potentially other stuff which are limited in J2ME currently ?

Yes, that would appear to be the only solution. I may get to it one day, but I can't make it a priority now - not because it wouldn't be useful to many people, but because it would take quite some time to implement (I'm not really familiar with Symbian programming, I'm not even sure midpjni.com would be useful because it's sooo badly documented...)
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
n95_rit wrote:

Yes, that would appear to be the only solution. I may get to it one day, but I can't make it a priority now - not because it wouldn't be useful to many people, but because it would take quite some time to implement (I'm not really familiar with Symbian programming, I'm not even sure midpjni.com would be useful because it's sooo badly documented...)

Hi Cristian,
I can understand that. What I hope is that someone else on this forum maybe able to help with the C++ application. If I was familiar with Symbian, I would immediately do this to contribute, but this isn't the case Sad
for midpjni, yes I was confused as well since the site is so minimal. There is a document though at another link
http://www.arvindgupta.net/zip/The_Bridge.zip

Regards,
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Hi Cristian,
I can understand that. What I hope is that someone else on this forum maybe able to help with the C++ application. If I was familiar with Symbian, I would immediately do this to contribute, but this isn't the case Sad
for midpjni, yes I was confused as well since the site is so minimal. There is a document though at another link
http://www.arvindgupta.net/zip/The_Bridge.zip

Regards,

OK, I'll have a look. It's actually the same thing, just an older version of midpjni/natlet.

Cristian
Haris777
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6233

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - it would be good if end call (red handle) key could be disabled if needed, because if it gets pressed in pocket then aplication quits and web tracking (and maybe infuture - track saving) gets stopped. It happened couple of times with me and gpstrack, when using it while driving a bike in woods and some pushing is needed or for whatever reason phone is hit/push throught pocket.
Could it be done in Java?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
BTW - it would be good if end call (red handle) key could be disabled if needed, because if it gets pressed in pocket then aplication quits and web tracking (and maybe infuture - track saving) gets stopped. It happened couple of times with me and gpstrack, when using it while driving a bike in woods and some pushing is needed or for whatever reason phone is hit/push throught pocket.
Could it be done in Java?

That definitely can't be disabled, but you can probably lock the keyboard. Press the power off button shortly just to see the profile menu, then select lock keypad.
Haris777
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6233

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried! On my 6230i it wont give you profile menu.
Will have to move to newer phone...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
Tried! On my 6230i it wont give you profile menu.
Will have to move to newer phone...

Ah, I know, I thought you were using N95 or another S60 3rd edition phone.
mendel_jp
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia N95

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any improvement about this cristian?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mendel_jp wrote:
any improvement about this cristian?

No, there is no solution for this!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, can you try S60SpotOn ? Start it, set "displaylight on", then don't exit (don't press the red hangup key) but press the menu key and start MGMaps. It works at least on my Nokia E50.

Cristian
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Guys, can you try S60SpotOn ? Start it, set "displaylight on", then don't exit (don't press the red hangup key) but press the menu key and start MGMaps. It works at least on my Nokia E50.

Cristian

Well, it also seems to work for Smile Great work Cristian to find this app (I had also searched few months back, none did what this cool app does.

On the flip side, it seems to take ~5-6MB of RAM to essentially do nothing on a continual basis (?), something which I didn't expect ... So, it maybe an issue on RAM limited phones ( I have ~3MB RAM available after running YTasks, mgmaps & S60SpotOn)

Regards,

n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Cristian

Well, it also seems to work for Smile Great work Cristian to find this app (I had also searched few months back, none did what this cool app does.

On the flip side, it seems to take ~5-6MB of RAM to essentially do nothing on a continual basis (?), something which I didn't expect ... So, it maybe an issue on RAM limited phones ( I have ~3MB RAM available after running YTasks, mgmaps & S60SpotOn)

Regards,

Hi,
I had posted on the S60SpotOn feedback link about the high RAM use, and the author (Tobias) kindly forwarded to me an older version which only has the backlight feature. This needs to be self-signed, and after trying this, it works like a charm with < 200KB RAM requirement.
The only option missing is to save the "last" backlight status before exit and setting that state on restart (like 0.7 version does), but its a minor issue.

S60SpotOn_0.03.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  S60SpotOn_0.03.zip
 Filesize:  14.22 KB
 Downloaded:  896 Time(s)

pikipirs
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Call this
Code:

com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0, 0);
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0, light_level);

...for about every 15 seconds or so. Works for my apps every time. Using this, my Sony Ericsson never falls to standby, at least not until the battery is drained Laughing

Btw; only calling the second statement doesn't help. Actually turning backlight off and on seems to reset the standby timer.

blog [Slovenian] - http://www.ccpcreations.com/
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution Reply with quote

pikipirs wrote:
Call this
Code:

com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0, 0);
com.nokia.mid.ui.DeviceControl.setLights(0, light_level);

...for about every 15 seconds or so. Works for my apps every time. Using this, my Sony Ericsson never falls to standby, at least not until the battery is drained Laughing

Btw; only calling the second statement doesn't help. Actually turning backlight off and on seems to reset the standby timer.

I tried this on my Nokia but doesn't work (my code runs every 5 seconds). I'm attaching the code with this statement added, let me know if you see any change on your Sony-Ericsson.

Cristian
pikipirs
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a hassle installing an unsigned app over the signed one, but...
Yes! The phone won't fall to sleep now! So I'd say you keep this in the code.

A small suggestion - make an option, something like "SE Sleep Workaround" or something. The flickering might annoy some people if forced (doesn't annoy me, but I'm just that kind of guy Wink ).

Anyway, glad it works at least for Sony Ericssons now!

PS: This also used to work for Nokias, I can se how Nokia is NOT helping developers by blocking such things Crying or Very sad

blog [Slovenian] - http://www.ccpcreations.com/
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pikipirs wrote:
A bit of a hassle installing an unsigned app over the signed one, but...

Ah, sorry, you should've told me I forgot to sign it!

pikipirs wrote:
A small suggestion - make an option, something like "SE Sleep Workaround" or something. The flickering might annoy some people if forced (doesn't annoy me, but I'm just that kind of guy Wink ).

So does it flicker on SE? It doesn't on Nokia Smile Yeah, maybe it should be an option in "advanced settings"...
skyli
MGMapper

Phone Type: W850i with HGE-100 GPS Enabler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an elf can do it on Sony Ericssons. Pressing kamera key = never turn off the backlight, pressing cam key again = turn off backlight normally. I'll make a request at se-nse.

Aaah I Stupid! Laughing I found the option in settings display backlight always on. IT WORKS Shocked Razz Exclamation Knock knock knock xD
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: