Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

[Fixed] GPS not working on TYTN II
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rnelson

Phone Type: HTC Tilt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgmaps finally works with my tilt's GPS radio. The key was an application called gpsport. See details in the following link: http://www.linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1331. I have had success running this with jbed - j9 wasn't necessary.
Cheers,
Rob
iinohk

Phone Type: HTC Tytn II

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would like to share a successful case in using GMaps in my Tytn II

Firstly I should express my sincere appreciation towards Cristian. The GMaps is useful and powerful, it saves both local & overseas GRPS alot and, the key point is, it enables me to browse maps in an extremely efficient manner! I would be pleased to introduce other people to visit your website.

My case is: In order to install & use GMaps in my Tytn II, I followed the instructions listed in /winset and read all the related threads in this forum but with no success. The main cause is: IBM J9 beta version no longer available in any website (google and yahoo have removed the links). I have also tried other JVM like JBlend, however the same situation keeps happening to me: GPS not supported...No serial port...No internal GPS...Current filesystem does not support...

Finally I installed JBed and suddenly everything goes fine! GMaps can detect my internal GPS like a charm! At the very beginning the JBed is not working and I have almost given up. However I found that JBed released a new version on 20080912 (I am using the Chinese Simplified one because I am living in HK and the English version JBed seems to be not working in Chinese environment, but I believe the Chinese version should be the same as the English one) and this version makes GMaps works perfectly without any other setting mentioned in the documents provided in this website. In summary, here is my setting:

1. Tytn II with WM6.0
2. Latest GMaps
3. JBed 5.1.20080912
4. GPSGate (I dont know whether this affects or not but anyway I have installed this on my phone)

Enjoy!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iinohk wrote:

Firstly I should express my sincere appreciation towards Cristian. The GMaps is useful and powerful, it saves both local & overseas GRPS alot and, the key point is, it enables me to browse maps in an extremely efficient manner! I would be pleased to introduce other people to visit your website.

My case is: In order to install & use GMaps in my Tytn II, I followed the instructions listed in /winset and read all the related threads in this forum but with no success. The main cause is: IBM J9 beta version no longer available in any website (google and yahoo have removed the links). I have also tried other JVM like JBlend, however the same situation keeps happening to me: GPS not supported...No serial port...No internal GPS...Current filesystem does not support...

Finally I installed JBed and suddenly everything goes fine! GMaps can detect my internal GPS like a charm! At the very beginning the JBed is not working and I have almost given up. However I found that JBed released a new version on 20080912 (I am using the Chinese Simplified one because I am living in HK and the English version JBed seems to be not working in Chinese environment, but I believe the Chinese version should be the same as the English one) and this version makes GMaps works perfectly without any other setting mentioned in the documents provided in this website. In summary, here is my setting:

1. Tytn II with WM6.0
2. Latest GMaps
3. JBed 5.1.20080912
4. GPSGate (I dont know whether this affects or not but anyway I have installed this on my phone)

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info, I have added it to the post with all the Jbed versions: http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11403#11403
Stow

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Report success on ATT Tilt running windows mobile 6.1 Reply with quote

The version of jbed that comes with windows mobile 6.1 for the Tilt is adequate to run to mgmaps using the internal gps. Its version 20080428.2.1.

I made it way more complicated than necessary following all of the items in these forums along the way. I installed a newer version of jbed. I installed different gps utilities, etc. My gps wasn't working any more. I was tearing my hair out so I started over. It turned out to be quite simple.

1. I did a hard reset to get a clean version of windows mobile 6.1.

2. mgmaps installed via the wap link, wap.mgmaps.com.

3. Downloaded and installed GPSPortPPC from the trekbuddy forum.

4. Using the clean 6.1 image, the gps was set properly, making itself available on com4 for GpsPort. There is a tool, in Settings:Tools, called "External GPS" on the tilt. The setting for Gps Program Port should be COM4. The hardware port is "None" since the gps is internal.

5. In mgmaps, I set the gps to use the "GPSGate" setting.

And it worked. Only thing is I'm not sure if GPSPort started the gps or if I had started it with another utility I have.

Another thing learned along the way ... set gmapmaker to a hash size of 1 and 256 tiles per. At the default setting, there were way too many files that overwhelmed my microsd card. I didn't notice any performance degradation running mgmaps with the larger files.
warsur

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iinohk wrote:

1. Tytn II with WM6.0
2. Latest GMaps
3. JBed 5.1.20080912

Enjoy!

Hi, I can confirm that installation of JBed 5.1.20080912 & GMaps can do the job nicely, GPSGate is not a must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: