Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

MGMaps on Windows XP using WTK - Instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geocrawler
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: MGMaps on Windows XP using WTK - Instructions Reply with quote

I've been running MGMaps on Windows XP for quite some time now for various purposes and I thought I shall share the method I used to do so in case somebody finds it useful.

The software used here is Sun's Java Wireless Toolkit (WTK) and it is capable of working on Windows XP and Linux. I don't have a Linux PC to test MGMaps on, so the instructions here is primarily for Windows XP users only.

1. First, you must have at least version 5 of Java installed. You can check your version of Java here or download the latest version of Java here.
  2. Download the latest version of WTK here. Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see a "Download" button.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to install WTK. You may have to specify where Java is installed (typically C:\Program Files\Java\jreXXX, where XXX is the version number). WTK should be installed in C:\WTKXXX by default.
  4. Download the latest version of MGMaps: mgmaps.jar and mgmaps-signed.jad. Place both files in the same folder.
  5. You can now run MGMaps on your PC by double-clicking the .jad file.
  6. To disable all security prompts, go to Start > Programs > Sun Java (TM) Wireless Toolkit XXX for CLDC > Preferences.
  7. Under security, select the policy as "JTWI" and domain "trusted".
  8. The DefaultColorPhone skin is used if you do not change the settings. The screen is small, but it's ok if you want to use it for testing purposes only. See the next section on how to customise the emulator.

Screen too small? Better user experience?

Attached here is a skin customised by me which has a screen size of 1000x750, enough for comfortable viewing on most computers.
  1. Download the attached file below. Extract the folder WinDevice into the wtklib/devices folder in your WTK installation folder.
  2. Go to Start > Programs > Sun Java (TM) Wireless Toolkit XXX for CLDC > Default Device Selection and select WinDevice.
  3. MGMaps should now load using the WinDevice skin when opened.
  4. You can use your mouse or touchscreen to click on some menu items and drag the map. Use your keyboard like your mobile phone keypad to enter forms and stuff. Special keyboard buttons are listed below:
    Select - Enter
    Left soft key - F1
    Right soft key - F2
    Back - Backspace
    Zoom in (#) - Numpad +
    Zoom out (*) - Numpad -

Tip: You might want to disable Small Font under the MGMaps display settings.

Tip 2: When using a larger screen size, the emulator's memory (default is 2MB) may run out quickly. Under the WTK Preferences > Storage, increase the memory Heap Size to at least 4MB (4096 kB).

Attaching a GPS device

1. Connect your GPS device to a COM port on your computer. Your GPS user manual should contain instructions on how to do this.
  2. Under GPS Setup > Select Device in MGMaps, select Serial. You should be prompted to enter your GPS COM port. If it's not listed, select "Custom" and enter the COM port yourself. E.g. "COM7" without quotes.

Accessing the emulator's filesystem

You might want to use the emulator's filesystem to put in stored maps and other files. The filesystem folder is located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\{your username}\j2mewtk\XXX\appdb\WinDevice\filesystem\root1
(Use "DefaultColorPhone" instead of "WinDevice" if you did not to install WinDevice)

You can create a folder called MGMapsCache to place stored maps. Remember to set the correct path under the Map Browsing setting in MGMaps.

I hope everything is clear now and everybody can use MGMaps with their Car PC or laptops on the go. You can even run MGMaps on your desktop to try out maps you've downloaded before loading them on your phone.

P.S.: Not forgetting to thank Cristian Streng for this great app!

WinDevice.zip
 Description:
WinDevice skin for WTK

Download
 Filename:  WinDevice.zip
 Filesize:  4.39 KB
 Downloaded:  2387 Time(s)

stephensiu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using window xp with WTK. My setup is eeepc 901 with xp home, wtk, bluetooth gps serial COM10.

I have install the WTK and can run "mgmaps-signed" with the stored map. However, I cannot make the GPS connection in the mgmaps program. I connect the GPS through bluetooth to the eeepc at COM10. I follow the instruction to select "Custom" and enter "COM10", but it cannot work. I have try to enter "COM9", "9" and "10" as well. All cannot work.

Can you advise what is the problem? Please help.

Many thanks.
amitr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Getting GPS to work on Win XP and Sun Java WTK 2.5.2 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am running Mobile GMaps (1.39.14) on a windows XP laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400). I successfully installed WTK (2.5.2) and successfully and ran the application from within it. Thanks geocrawler for the great custom large screen device (I modified the parameters in WinDevice.properties and the gif size so that I get a full screen view on my 1280x800 resolution.) It works great with my offline downloaded maps.

Now I have been trying to make it work with GPS and have not been successful. I have two bluetooth GPS devices - Holux M1000 and HoluxM241. Both connect to my laptop on COM10. I also have a Microsoft USB GPS receiver -that connects on COM7.

I have tried all kinds of GPS settings and am just not able to connect to the GPS - I have tried COM10 / COM9 / 10 / 9 - none of these work for the Bluetooth units. Similarly the USB does not work with COM7/COM6/7/6

By the way, I have also uploaded MGMaps on my SE K810i and it works great with the bluetoth units - so there is no problem with the GPS units.

I am going on along driving trip to Australia and would have liked to have the big screen of my laptop for navigation. Any help is appreciated.

Anyways, MGMaps is really one of the best - actually the best - apps for GPS. Thank you Cristian.

Amit
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting GPS to work on Win XP and Sun Java WTK 2.5.2 Reply with quote

amitr wrote:
Hi,

I am running Mobile GMaps (1.39.14) on a windows XP laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400). I successfully installed WTK (2.5.2) and successfully and ran the application from within it. Thanks geocrawler for the great custom large screen device (I modified the parameters in WinDevice.properties and the gif size so that I get a full screen view on my 1280x800 resolution.) It works great with my offline downloaded maps.

Now I have been trying to make it work with GPS and have not been successful. I have two bluetooth GPS devices - Holux M1000 and HoluxM241. Both connect to my laptop on COM10. I also have a Microsoft USB GPS receiver -that connects on COM7.

I have tried all kinds of GPS settings and am just not able to connect to the GPS - I have tried COM10 / COM9 / 10 / 9 - none of these work for the Bluetooth units. Similarly the USB does not work with COM7/COM6/7/6

By the way, I have also uploaded MGMaps on my SE K810i and it works great with the bluetoth units - so there is no problem with the GPS units.

I am going on along driving trip to Australia and would have liked to have the big screen of my laptop for navigation. Any help is appreciated.

Anyways, MGMaps is really one of the best - actually the best - apps for GPS. Thank you Cristian.

Amit

Here's a suggestion: try it under WTK 2.5.1, maybe that will do the trick -- WTK 2.5.2 has a few minor changes that may interfere with COM ports...
abdo
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Newbie question Smile For stored maps, I have created a directory called "MGMapsCache" under the WTK emulator's "root1" directory (actually copied the MGMapsCache directory produced by gMapMaker). However, I don't know how to set the path in the Map Browsing setting. Just setting it to "MGMapsCache" does not work. The default "E:MGMapsCache" and "C:MGMapsCache" do not work either.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Never mind! I just noticed you can browse to the cache directory!

Thanks anyway.
nanquim
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6630, 6280 e N70 + HOLUX GPSlim240

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Congratulations to Cristian by MGMaps to Geocrawler by this topic, Damien Debin by the gMapMaker and to all who participate in these forums because this participation helps solve common problems, increase the knowledge of each one, and made accessible to all matters that would normally be of a high complexity.
1 - I utilize computers since 1990 and the first time I got the system unstable lost some data in the format the HD. At that time developed the habit of never recording data on drive "C:\". My HD is partitioned in "C: \" with only the system and programs and "D: \" with only data. So I ask if you can find a way to define filesystem folder not start with "C: \ Documents and Settings \ (your username) \ j2mewtk \ XXX \ appdb \ WinDevice \ filesystem \ root1" because if is possible be downloaded to D : \ MGMapsCache "and immediately test the maps created without needing to copy thousands of files to a location that will make the computer slower, as in so many copies files eventually result in a very fragmented disk.
2 - The skin customized by Geocrawler which has a screen size of 1000x750 is good for a desktop, but on my 1280x800 laptop widescren it is very narrow and very high and I can not see the options in the gray bar at the bottom of the window. I tried to edit it but could not. It would be very difficult or time consuming to make a lower skin not to be necessary to set the taskbar to automatically hide ...? cause a huge waste of time multitasking ...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanquim wrote:
1 - I utilize computers since 1990 and the first time I got the system unstable lost some data in the format the HD. At that time developed the habit of never recording data on drive "C:\". My HD is partitioned in "C: \" with only the system and programs and "D: \" with only data. So I ask if you can find a way to define filesystem folder not start with "C: \ Documents and Settings \ (your username) \ j2mewtk \ XXX \ appdb \ WinDevice \ filesystem \ root1" because if is possible be downloaded to D : \ MGMapsCache "and immediately test the maps created without needing to copy thousands of files to a location that will make the computer slower, as in so many copies files eventually result in a very fragmented disk.

It's very good to store data on a separate partition or disk, I think everyone should do it! As for WTK, there must be some way to change the folder if you play with the config files or the registry, but here's an easier trick: use an older version of WTK. Version 2.5.1 has all the filesystem data stored under the installation directory (C:\WTK2.5.1 by default, but you can move that to another disk).

nanquim wrote:
2 - The skin customized by Geocrawler which has a screen size of 1000x750 is good for a desktop, but on my 1280x800 laptop widescren it is very narrow and very high and I can not see the options in the gray bar at the bottom of the window. I tried to edit it but could not. It would be very difficult or time consuming to make a lower skin not to be necessary to set the taskbar to automatically hide ...? cause a huge waste of time multitasking ...

I noticed that too on my 1280x800 laptop, now I have another laptop with a higher resolution Smile ... Let's say you wish to change it to 1000x600 instead of 750. You would have to resize screen.gif first to 1000x600, then edit WinDevice.properties and change:
Code:
screen.height=600
screenPaintableRegion.height=570
softbutton.0=1,584,78,16, softButton, left
softbutton.1=922,584,78,16, softButton, right
This is just a suggestion, I didn't try it but it should work.
nanquim
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still could not try the tip on location.
On the screen tip it was still very small because the laptop is 17 inches widescren, but with your indications adapted to:
1270x740
screen.width=1270
screen.height=720
screenPaintableRegion.width=1270
screenPaintableRegion.height=690
softbutton.0=1,704,78,16, softButton, left
softbutton.1=1192,704,78,16, softButton, right

Now MgMaps can run across all the screen exactly as i wanted.
For those who want i leave out the 2 options.
Thanks

Salvador.JPG
 Description:
And here i am Salvador, BA, Brazil
 Filesize:  170.04 KB
 Viewed:  32391 Time(s)

Salvador.JPG

1000x600.zip
 Description:
skin 1000x600

Download
 Filename:  1000x600.zip
 Filesize:  4.04 KB
 Downloaded:  1345 Time(s)

1270x720.zip
 Description:
skin 1270x720. This is the one i use

Download
 Filename:  1270x720.zip
 Filesize:  4.56 KB
 Downloaded:  1290 Time(s)

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nanquim wrote:
Still could not try the tip on location.

OK... this is the version to try: http://java.sun.com/products/sjwtoolkit/download-2_5_1.html
pempuq

Phone Type: SMART PHONE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have followed all the instructions step by step. However my MGMAP still can not work well. The stored map will show up on launch and then disappear. Does anyone have solution?
nanquim
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi pempuc
I had the same problem in the first installation ... something i do does not run well.
So i uninstall all programs and redone the whole process of installation and worked well.
I post a file about SET UP A LAPTOP TO USE THE BLUETOOTH GPS if you need help.
Good luck.

SET UP A LAPTOP TO USE A BLUETOOTH GPS3.doc
 Description:
SET UP A LAPTOP TO USE A BLUETOOTH GPS with MGmaps and WTK (2.5.2)

Download
 Filename:  SET UP A LAPTOP TO USE A BLUETOOTH GPS3.doc
 Filesize:  39.5 KB
 Downloaded:  963 Time(s)

hardwing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

My GPS is connected to COM8. As above suggestion, I did try to connect COM7, COM8, 7, 8 and install WTK2.5.2 and WTK2.5.1. All methods aren't working in my case.

Finally, I noted it may be problem of the COM port baud rate. In MGMaps, I cannot set the COM port baud rate. What is the default baud rate? For my GPS unit, the baud rate must be 38400, fixed.

Now, I used an alternative solution to override the COM port problem. I installed GPSGate for PC to manage the COM port at 38400bps and ask MGMaps with WTK2.5.2 to read GPS data from GPSGate. Finally, it is working well.

BTW, I suggest to add the option to input baud rate for serial port in the coming version of MGMaps.

Thanks.
sdugoten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a question. When you scroll the map on a laptop, the movement is delay. Moreover, the map will still move by itself after you release the left mouse button. Since I use a touch screen tablet, the movement is even worse when you try to scroll the map with your finger.

Does anyone know what is the proper setting on the laptop running MGMaps? Thanks.

PS. I am using WinDevice skin for WTK which is posted earlier in this thread.
o7rein
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardwing wrote:
Hello,

My GPS is connected to COM8. As above suggestion, I did try to connect COM7, COM8, 7, 8 and install WTK2.5.2 and WTK2.5.1. All methods aren't working in my case.

Finally, I noted it may be problem of the COM port baud rate. In MGMaps, I cannot set the COM port baud rate. What is the default baud rate? For my GPS unit, the baud rate must be 38400, fixed.

See http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2724
bbatbayar
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: To Pempuq Reply with quote

Hi Pempuq,

I also faced that problem before. After I launch the MGMaps, my stored maps displayed for tenth of second and dissapeared.

I discovered after few restart, that the position of my screen jumped to somewhere in Europe, as there was GPS position. I suspect this is because I have not any GPS in my PC. I just saved a place somewhere on my stored map range in the Favourite, and after launch the MGMaps, just selected the place I saved. This makes map position go to the place and finally I found my stored map Smile

Good luck
harper36
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - I utilize computers since 1990 and the first time I got the system unstable lost some data in the format the HD. At that time developed the habit of never recording data on drive "C:\". My HD is partitioned in "C: \" with only the system and programs and "D: \" with only data. So I ask if you can find a way to define filesystem folder not start with "C: \ Documents and Settings \ (your username) \ j2mewtk \ XXX \ appdb \ WinDevice \ filesystem \ root1" because if is possible be downloaded to D : \ MGMapsCache "and immediately test the maps created without needing to copy thousands of files to a location that will make the computer slower, as in so many copies files eventually result in a v Smile ery fragmented disk.
2 - The skin customized by Geocrawler which has a screen size of 1000x750 is good for a desktop, but on my 1280x800 laptop widescren it is very narrow and very high and I can not see the options in the gray bar at the bottom of the window. Razz I tried to edit it but could not. It would be very difficult or time consuming to make a lower skin not to be necessary to set the taskbar to automatically hide ...? cause a huge waste of time multitasking ... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: