Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

out of memory error
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Development version 1.40
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haris777
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia 6233

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: out of memory error Reply with quote

Got another phone - 6233, was 6230i. Installed development version and got "Out of memory error java/lang/outofmemoryerror". It starts up, asks for web access, no matter what I choose next is error.
To test this I deleted dev version and put in latest stable (1.39.13). It also gives error but only if I choose to allow access to web, and let it to start displaying and downloading maps, if I choose no, then it seems to be working. Both ways in stable version it starts application completely form user point of view, in dev version "workspace" is not shown.
FYI This 6233 has fresh firmware, updated with NSU this morning. No adittional memory, phone memory is not that full.
Also, seems to be this error, covered in this thread:
http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1658

BTW Stable version was good on my old phone; didn`t tested latest dev version in it, 1.40.00 AFAIR was good!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: out of memory error Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
Got another phone - 6233, was 6230i. Installed development version and got "Out of memory error java/lang/outofmemoryerror". It starts up, asks for web access, no matter what I choose next is error.
To test this I deleted dev version and put in latest stable (1.39.13). It also gives error but only if I choose to allow access to web, and let it to start displaying and downloading maps, if I choose no, then it seems to be working. Both ways in stable version it starts application completely form user point of view, in dev version "workspace" is not shown.
FYI This 6233 has fresh firmware, updated with NSU this morning. No adittional memory, phone memory is not that full.
Also, seems to be this error, covered in this thread:
http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1658

BTW Stable version was good on my old phone; didn`t tested latest dev version in it, 1.40.00 AFAIR was good!

You should enable low memory mode in Settings/Map Browsing. The heap memory (RAM) was kept by Nokia at 2MB on all Series 40 phones... old phones worked better because they had smaller screens.
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do that, only problem is that app crashes before I can alter any settings. In 1.40.02 especially.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
I would do that, only problem is that app crashes before I can alter any settings. In 1.40.02 especially.

Umm... don't allow it to access the internet or the file system when you start it - then you should be able to change the settings, save them then restart the application.
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried once more - no matter what i choose - allow web acc or not, I get error... maybe new firmware uses even more RAM...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haris777 wrote:
Just tried once more - no matter what i choose - allow web acc or not, I get error... maybe new firmware uses even more RAM...

Does this happen with v1.40? What about v1.39.13? (v1.40.02 loads the initial map tiles from the jar)
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

Does this happen with v1.40? What about v1.39.13? (v1.40.02 loads the initial map tiles from the jar)

Since 1.40 is not at a wap page I cannot test that right now...

But 1.39.13 is good! It still ends up with error if I allow display and download maps, but if access is denied it works, so I can change memory usage options and hopefully that cures this.
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same with 1.41
b8two
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia E51, 6288, 6230i, 6230, Sony Ericsson K770i

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same Problem with 1.41.00 on my Nokia 6288 Firmware V6.10.
b8two
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it running by replacing the RMS files from a previous version I have loaded.

Which means that low Memory and offline mode were enabled.

I like the new Menu..
but may I sugggest that you include Numbers on the sub menus (not as good)OR line the sub menu's up with the top of the first menu, then you have the first numbers lined up, it will make the by-number navigation easier.

I have not seen the Zoom Levels feature work. I have Tried, Even, Odd and Every Second Level (I don't understand this option v's the previous two) and restarted the mgm in between just in case.
Do I need to remove those maps from my phone to make it work?

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b8two wrote:
I got it running by replacing the RMS files from a previous version I have loaded.

Right... Was it not possible to start it and disallow internet access (local file storage access), and then enable low memory? Actually the new version should have automatically read the old RMS and enable low memory, so I don't know what happened.

b8two wrote:
I like the new Menu..
but may I sugggest that you include Numbers on the sub menus (not as good)OR line the sub menu's up with the top of the first menu, then you have the first numbers lined up, it will make the by-number navigation easier.

OK, I'll consider that. I tried to include numbers in the submenus but it didn't look so good... Having the menus ligned up is good only if the main menu is the "longest", and doesn't work with menu scrolling (if the menu doesn't fit the whole screen). Anyway, you can navigate the menus using the arrow keys and it's still pretty fast compared to the old method.

b8two wrote:
I have not seen the Zoom Levels feature work. I have Tried, Even, Odd and Every Second Level (I don't understand this option v's the previous two) and restarted the mgm in between just in case.
Do I need to remove those maps from my phone to make it work?

No, you don't need to remove those maps, you also don't need to restart. Have you tried to zoom in and out with the zoom levels enabled? Does it not zoom quicklier?

The "every second level" option zooms only odd levels or only even levels, depending on the starting zoom level. It's what you would use in most cases in order to zoom in/out quickly. The even/odd options are useful if you download only odd or only even zoom levels to reduce offline maps size. If you enable even zoom levels and you manually set the level to an odd number (or maybe a search brings you to that, etc.), the first zoom will bring you to an even level (it will be a single zoom) and the following zooms will only show even levels.
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
b8two wrote:

Right... Was it not possible to start it and disallow internet access (local file storage access), and then enable low memory? Actually the new version should have automatically read the old RMS and enable low memory, so I don't know what happened.

in my case, for my phone it`s fresh install so no old files to read from... should i install older version and try to set low mem mode and then upgrade?
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it did that, and finally got dev version running on this phone!!!

at least that means it reading settings from older versions correctly!
b8two
Power User

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

On my Nokia 6288, the Java apps can be loaded from my miniSD card and to install them, it is as simple as puting the Jad & Jar file anywhere on the file system. To run them, browse to the folder on the miniSD card and open. This allows me to put every version of MGM on my phone without any conflict between them, including in the same folder if I gave them a unique name. The RMS files are created using the jar filename and extends on them.

This means that the first "RUN" was equivilent to a fresh install. It prompted me for Network access "responce No" then it crashed with OutOfMemoryError. This is with Default security of the phone, I have just tested with Disable everything (memory card & Internet), still OutOfMemoryError.

Cristian Streng wrote:

OK, I'll consider that. I tried to include numbers in the submenus but it didn't look so good... Having the menus ligned up is good only if the main menu is the "longest", and doesn't work with menu scrolling (if the menu doesn't fit the whole screen). Anyway, you can navigate the menus using the arrow keys and it's still pretty fast compared to the old method.

on my Nokia 6230 with an older version of MGM the main menu showed up full (0-9) on the screen without scrolling, with map shown above and the screen size is quite small.

Cristian Streng wrote:

No, you don't need to remove those maps, you also don't need to restart. Have you tried to zoom in and out with the zoom levels enabled? Does it not zoom quicklier?

The "every second level" option zooms only odd levels or only even levels, depending on the starting zoom level. It's what you would use in most cases in order to zoom in/out quickly. The even/odd options are useful if you download only odd or only even zoom levels to reduce offline maps size. If you enable even zoom levels and you manually set the level to an odd number (or maybe a search brings you to that, etc.), the first zoom will bring you to an even level (it will be a single zoom) and the following zooms will only show even levels.

I didn't realise this this was just to skip zoom levels entirely.

I assumed that say from Zoom 15 with the Odd option, you can see effectivly zoom 14 by showing zoom 15 maps at 50% which should be easy to compute because you only need to throw away every second pixel. (unless I am wrong in assuming that each zoom level is 50% / 200% of each other.)

Maybe to Expand on the Zoom level skiping, instead of odd even and every second, how about a menu to select which zoom levels to skip with check boxes. because for where I live most places are prefect with zoom 15 but in the city centre it is more dense and I need Zoom 16 but Zoom 17 would take up too much room on my phone.

Right now I do not know how to get MGM to tell me what zoom level am I at. With earlier version I could press the add favourite and the zoom was displayed there but that feature was removed. If you could place the zoom number at the bottom of the screen in the center when zooming that would helpful for me. (perhap an options to turn that on / off for display all the time)

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b8two wrote:
On my Nokia 6288, the Java apps can be loaded from my miniSD card and to install them, it is as simple as puting the Jad & Jar file anywhere on the file system. To run them, browse to the folder on the miniSD card and open. This allows me to put every version of MGM on my phone without any conflict between them, including in the same folder if I gave them a unique name. The RMS files are created using the jar filename and extends on them.

This means that the first "RUN" was equivilent to a fresh install. It prompted me for Network access "responce No" then it crashed with OutOfMemoryError. This is with Default security of the phone, I have just tested with Disable everything (memory card & Internet), still OutOfMemoryError.

Right... but I guess you can keep the old settings if you just overwrite the application with a newer version. It's strange though that it crashed even without enabling internet, don't know why. I hate that nokia put so little RAM/heap memory (and so badly managed) on S40 phones...

b8two wrote:
I didn't realise this this was just to skip zoom levels entirely.

I assumed that say from Zoom 15 with the Odd option, you can see effectivly zoom 14 by showing zoom 15 maps at 50% which should be easy to compute because you only need to throw away every second pixel. (unless I am wrong in assuming that each zoom level is 50% / 200% of each other.)

Maybe to Expand on the Zoom level skiping, instead of odd even and every second, how about a menu to select which zoom levels to skip with check boxes. because for where I live most places are prefect with zoom 15 but in the city centre it is more dense and I need Zoom 16 but Zoom 17 would take up too much room on my phone.

ok, I'll consider something like that (expand maps for missing zooms) for future versions. Though that may need even more memory.

b8two wrote:
Right now I do not know how to get MGM to tell me what zoom level am I at. With earlier version I could press the add favourite and the zoom was displayed there but that feature was removed. If you could place the zoom number at the bottom of the screen in the center when zooming that would helpful for me. (perhap an options to turn that on / off for display all the time)

OK, I'll do that in a future version.
Haris777
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its possible that app works in low memory mode at very beginnig when installed, because I cant normaly update or install app only way is to install 1.39, set everything, then update... its awful, and if you move app around folders, update cant see older app and you are fcked again...
lichorosario
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Same here on Nokia6131 Reply with quote

Hi Christian!. Low memory problem on Nokia6131. I could make it work using the old RMS files. Could you please make the 1.40 version starts with the lo memory setting ON?
thank you very much!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Same here on Nokia6131 Reply with quote

lichorosario wrote:
Hi Christian!. Low memory problem on Nokia6131. I could make it work using the old RMS files. Could you please make the 1.40 version starts with the lo memory setting ON?

No, if you can't get to the configuration screen then start it without allowing it to access the internet or file system, then change the low mem setting and restart the application.
Wunibald
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia6288

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
as discribed in http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2177, same problem for me (Nokia6288).
The thread is quite long, can somebody give a resume what to do ?
Thanks
Wunibald

PS: how to ...replacing the RMS files from a previous version..." ?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wunibald wrote:
Hello,
as discribed in http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=2177, same problem for me (Nokia6288).
The thread is quite long, can somebody give a resume what to do ?
Thanks
Wunibald

Well, the solution for sbring was to select the stored maps folder again -- when he downgraded from v1.41 to v1.39 the settings were lost and the stored maps folder was reset to the default, which was not correct for his setup.

As for out-of-memory errors, they occur on some Nokia S40 phones with 240x320 screens where 2MB of heap memory is too little to display and cache the maps for a single screen. The only solution is low memory mode -- it doesn't always work but it's better than nothing. Future plans include better support for these S40 phones. If you want to enable it, start MGMaps first without allowing it to connect to the internet or to use stored maps, enable low memory mode, then restart mgmaps.

Wunibald wrote:
PS: how to ...replacing the RMS files from a previous version..." ?

That's not possible in general for most phones. For S40 phones, the RMS is stored together with the application in some files with the name including some unprintable characters, and .rms extension. For instance, I have three .rms files for mgmaps on my nokia 6233 (memory card), they are named:

mgmaps_m_aps.rms
mgmaps_m_aps.rms
mgmaps_s_reserved_rms_reserved_rms_reserv.rms
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Development version 1.40 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: