Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

OffLine Address Search - Suggested Idea!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmytro
Developer

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8130

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you downloaded April 7,2009 version.

Yes its has been changed a little to make room for "Offline Driving Directions" (which is not publicly available yet)
The "Local" folder must be renamed to "Offline" (it makes more confusion, for users but has to be done ) Rolling Eyes

From now on (ex: /SDCard/MGMapsCache/Offline/ca )

The steps are wrong!

1. download database Canada - Ontario - Toronto from OfflineBot site
2. download "OfflineBot" program
3. Run and click "Build Database", would create a new special DB (compiled by offset)
4. copy the (new built) database - /SDCard/MGMapsCache/...(/Offline/ca)

NOTE: There are 2 types of databases
1) RAW Database (you downloaded) which has all the info (which can be edited)
2) OFFSET (which cannot be edited) and only read by MGMaps. (THIS ONE YOUR BUILD YOURSELF, using OfflineBot)

Also, you do not need street names if you found (RAW - already extracted database), just build it and place to SD
cfw32
MGMapper

Phone Type: Blackberry 8320

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Offline search not working Reply with quote

After changing #6 storage path to /MGMapsCache/Local/ca in both "Settings" and "Offline Settings", the program still complains that "Database not found" and then another message "Tiles not found". Do I need to copy tiles to the storage sub directory (i.e. "ca") as well?
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO, its now /MGMapsCache/Offline/ca

READ

You do not change full path for "Offline Map Settings" must be in the same folder you have your tiles on SD. (/SDCard/MGMapsCache/ in this case)
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Offline search not working Reply with quote

Thank you dmytro for your response.
After generating the compiled DB for Toronto and copying it to the phone (SDCard/MGMapsCache/Offline/ca), the Offline search issued a message "NOT FOUND". How can I tell that the compiled DB is built correctly? I have noticed that all local.db files are empty (0 byte in length). I must have done something wrong in building the mobile database.
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. MGMaps Bug FIXED Smile Re-download April 9 build.

About OfflineBot, yeah local.db should be BIG around 8MB+ it contains all the data. Must be something wrong.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Offline search not working Reply with quote

Just to clarify the local.db files - all of them are empty except the one in the "ca" folder.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Offline search not working Reply with quote

I reloaded the version of April 9 and got the same message - NOT FOUND. I guess it was caused by the mobile DB. The local.db under "ca" folder is only 3 MB and is empty under different folders.
Do you have a good Toronto mobile DB that I can use to test the app.? My goal to build other cities in the future like Hong Kong, Singapore etc.
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see if we are on the same page here. You click the Menu "Offline" -> "Address Search" the forms opens OK? you get NOT FOUND only when trying to search? This means you need some correct street that exist inside a database try "2 Front Street" or just "Front"

Make sure you are using latest OfflineBot v1.3

My local.db is around 12MB here is a copy http://www.iroot.ca/projects/mgmaps/Blackberry/Toronto_Offline_MobileDB.zip
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Offline search not working Reply with quote

I'm glad to report that the offline search is working as you suggested. ('Laughing') I did not realize it could do a wild-card search. My search string is like "23 bank st toronto on" that generates "NOT FOUND". However, the same is working under online mode. I guess under offline mode, the user knows which city/prov to be search. It is reasonable to omit them. To avoid confusion, would it be possible to show them on the search screen just like the Country (Canada)?

I have another question. Does the program support a) several neighbourhood cities, like GTA; b) several distinct cities e.g. on a cruise vacation, I may visit Rome, Venice, Barcelona etc.? The offline search database needs to link to the appropriate tile files.

Back to my search problem, some how the mobile database generated by OfflineBot (v 1.3 - 18629) is incomplete. The local.db is only 3MB. I re-ran the program twice with the Canada-Ontario-Toronto RAW database downloaded from the site.

I also encountered problem with my tile files. Maps are shown properly at low zoom level, but not at high level (10?). I could not see street names.
Do you have any suggestion to correct this issue?
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: stored maps issue Reply with quote

I have resolved the stored maps issue by recreating map tiles with zoom level 1-16 (in lieu of default 1-12). It is working fine now.

Dmytro, have you got time to investigate the issue of OfflineBot that built mobile DB incorrectly using the Toronto RAW DB download from the site?
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Help in creating search database Reply with quote

Hi dmytro, I need your help in creating search database using the OfflineBot.exe program.
I started with the Markham streetnames text that contains only about 10 entries from the website. I guess it is for testing purpose. Here are the steps:
1. choose Street Intersections and scan with the Markham streetnames text as input and the output to a new folder 'ca' under the RAW folder.
2. choose Places and scan with the Markham streetnames text and check 'generic street location only' as input and the output to the new folder 'ca' under the RAW folder.
3. choose Streets and scan with the Markham streetnames text as input and the output to a new folder 'ca' under the RAW folder.
4. choose Build Database with the 'ca' folder undr the RAW folder as input and output to the new folder under the SearchDB.
5. the final result does not look like the Toronto database (http://www.iroot.ca/projects/mgmaps/Blackberry/Toronto_Offline_MobileDB.zip).

I must have missed something. Please advise. Thanks.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Format of Places text file Reply with quote

Hello Dmytro, in scaning 'Places' using OfflineBot, one has to select Category & sub-category. Do you have any plan to automate the process so that user does not require to make any selection?

Alternatively, I'm also interest in providing my own text file for places (or landmarks). What is the for file format? I Google searched of 'landmarks in toronto' and found a link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Toronto_landmarks. Based on this link, I could build a text file like:

Category:Sports
Air Canada Centre
BMO Field
Christie Pits
Maple Leaf Gardens
Ricoh Coliseum
Rogers Centre
Varsity Centre
Category:Entertainment and Media
299 Queen Street West
Bloor Cinema
Bathurst Street Theatre
Canada's Walk of Fame
Canadian Broadcasting Centre
Canon Theatre
Distillery District
Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres
Four Seasons Centre
Horseshoe Tavern
Massey Hall
Molson Amphitheatre
Princess of Wales Theatre
Royal Alexandra Theatre
Roy Thomson Hall
Sony Centre for the Performing Arts
The Opera House
The Music Hall

Please advise how to use the text file in creating landmarks or places?
BWT, it appears that OfflineBot does not create any 'Intersections' after the scan. Please advise.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Offline search issues Reply with quote

Hi dmytro, when I performed offline search for an address "2020 Pharmacy Ave", it returned an entry "2020 Pharmacy Ave, Toronto, ON". By choosing the "Select" option, the program formed more searches (showing progress bar several times) but finally with a message "NOT FOUND". Does the error due to incomplete search database?
However, the above address is valid as the online search produced result.
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you know you can just type "2020 Phar" and it AUTO complete the street name if its in the database!

If the # not found than you get "NOT FOUND MESSAGE" Thats because the database for Toronto is not finished (I think A to F where extracted completely) You can enter "Phar" and it will find "Generic street location"

OfflineBot v1.3 build OK (can't find any problems, You should NOT build to the same folder as RAW DB! Select some other path.)

Places MUST be grouped by categories! So if you provide a list, you should still choose proper category!

Street Intersections have their OWN list OR together with "+" (plus sign) in front to indicate its a street intersection search. (THE LIST IS NOT PROVIDED, you need to find it yourself just like street names)

Example:

+King Street West & Yonge Street
+Queen Street West & Yonge Street
+ ..... & ....
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Offline search issues Reply with quote

Thank you dmytro for your response.
Is there any way I could help in building a complete search DB for Toronto?
Please point me to some documentation that I could read and learn how to build DB using OfflineBot.

You said OfflineBot v1.3 is working fine but I could not understand it because when I ran the program using
input = Toronto raw database downloaded from website
output = SearchDB (a new folder)
The file structure of SearchDB is quite different from the Toronto database (http://www.iroot.ca/projects/mgmaps/Blackberry/Toronto_Offline_MobileDB.zip).
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Offline Bot Reply with quote

Hi Dmytro, please add Hong Kong as a Country to OfflineBot. Major cities are Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and New Territories etc. There is no state/province in HongKong. Can I leave it blank?
kilara

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somenone add Bulgaria to the list?ty.
starblack5
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Someone can add Mexico Country, City Monterrey, Nuevo Leon,? Reply with quote

Hi Dmytro, please add Mexico as a Country to OfflineBot. Major cities are Monterrey, Mexico and Guadalajara etc.

Please.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Offline search not working for Hong Kong Reply with quote

I'm using the MGMaps for BB version dated April 24 and had experienced the following problems:
1) online - search address - not working with error message: Error Searching.
2) offline - search address - working fine for 'ca' search database but not working for 'hk' database. I suspected the problem was caused by the search db that I built for 'hk'.
I was using OfflineBot - Address function (auto mode) to scan the streetnames from 3 text files (HongKong Island, Kowloon and New Territories). After scanning, search db was built using the build function and there was no error message. The local db has a size of 260KB that seemed to be too small. Did I miss any steps in the OfflineBot.
cfw32
MGMapper

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Online search is working Reply with quote

The online search is actually working. It was caused by incorrect settings on my part - Menu -> Misc -> Advanced -> Append to HTTP requests: #3 (;deviceside=true;interface=wifi)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: