Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Save everything you see in cache / Store viewed maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernstblaauw
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Save everything you see in cache Reply with quote

At the moment, the only way to use maps offline is to download them using apps like gMapMaker. If would love a feature which saves all tiles/maps you view in a seperate map. If you cannot transfer data, you can activate that map. I think this is possible and handy. What do you think?
basmic
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6500 Slide

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Store downloaded maps? Reply with quote

Say I have come across an area which is not cached in my MGMapsCache directory, GMaps would then download the missing tile to my mobile on-the-fly.

Would it be possible to tell GMaps to store these tiles, which are downloaded via WAP?

Such a use for this might be, I go somewhere, GMaps downloads a lot of the missing map tiles via WAP. The next day, on my way home, GMaps can then access these stored maps - therefore: 1) I won't have to download the tiles again; 2) If I were paying for WAP usage, it would save me a lot of money.

Normally GMaps discards the tiles downloaded via WAP - something which I consider very inefficient, when I have a 2gb memory card to use.

While I'm on the subject, my Nokia 6500-s works just fine with 256 tiles per file. So how about allowing the user to choose how many tiless per file they can have too? Then downloading a lot of files via WAP won't use up a lot of space.

I'm probably asking for a lot here, but I'd like to see my £ worth when I do donate. Razz
hla@folkeferie.dk
Junior

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have suggested a similar feature.

Saves money - increases map load time - makes sense!

Rgds

Henrik

PS. Been away for a while - almost got myself "killed" by a branded mobile.
petr.bug

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the feature I would appreciate the most!

The same thing is requested by 2 other people:
http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1839
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's under development -- there are a few issues to be considered.

Should these maps be stored together with the pre-downloaded maps or in a separate folder? probably in a separate folder, but then the app will have to look in two places before deciding that a map tile is not available.

Then there's the size limit for cached maps - it could be expressed either as absolute value (MB) or a percentage of free or total card space. An absolute value would not be good, if you add something else to your phone mgmaps would fill up your entire card to reach that value. A percentage of total card space is the same thing, a percentage of free space would be better...

Another issue - cache management. What happens when the size is reached? It could either stop saving any more tiles, or it could delete oldest downloaded tiles. First choice is easier, mgmaps could just have an option to manually clear the cache. Deleting only the oldest tiles (automatically) could take a long time as it could browse through thousands of files and file access (seeking/file filtering) is usually slow on phones.

Cristian
hla@folkeferie.dk
Junior

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Cache Reply with quote

Hi Christian

Thanks for reply (still miss TrackingLog with manual WayPoints)

1. The code should be made so that it may do both - save in E:\MGMapsCache or E:\MGMapsTemp. This will keep fokus on coding instead of application politics.

2. Limit should be available size in forst version - this sohuld be handled anyhow and keeps focus on coding.

3. Automatic cache invalidating will be handled by technology (maybe even before filling up cache) - you will have a new mobile and a flash double your current size before you get to worried by this problem.

Rgds Henrik
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Cache Reply with quote

hla@folkeferie.dk wrote:
3. Automatic cache invalidating will be handled by technology (maybe even before filling up cache) - you will have a new mobile and a flash double your current size before you get to worried by this problem.

Right... then another important issue is the format of the maps stored. Should they be stored as one tile per file? As the cache grows the phone will become slower. Or multiple tiles per file? I think this should be configurable if not from the beginning then later...
hla@folkeferie.dk
Junior

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy... start with 1 tile per file... emediately after make it multiple tiles per file.

I wish I could help - I dream of starting my own logging program - but must admit I am a bit lasy and injoy beer, horses and girls (in that order).

Rgds Henrik

PS. Dont be screared of to many files - NOBODY can afford to download so many files af 2$/mb (Denmark).
me2
Junior

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik => Change service provider... at 'Bibob' it's just 1 DKK (~0,2$) pr. mb Wink

(Og det k??rer fint selvom det er Sonofons net Wink)
________
buy silversurfer vaporizer

Last edited by me2 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
springbok
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a nice feature would be like the n95 built in app called nokia "NOKIA MAPS" it saves the maps in cache when you have a internet connection then you can use the map offline when u need them. Very Happy
hla@folkeferie.dk
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpringBok, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Ref. Rick (Humphrey Bogart) to Police Captain Louis Renault, in Casablanca.

Rgds

Henrik
akash_at_bangalore
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: waiting for such features ... Reply with quote

I have been quietly waiting for great features like this.
This is probably not the place to put it, but it seems like a loooong time since we had new mgmaps with more features like this ! (after Aug 2009).
just curious : is this project getting into cold storage slowly ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: