Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Trail recording and data collection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thom_vee
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Trail recording and data collection Reply with quote

Hi, I recently came across your superb application after testing out several other GPS applications for mobile phones. Congratulations. I must say that you application by far the best one i`ve tried. However, another application that I found very useful on my walks and cycling trips was Wayfinder active. In this I could ask it to start recording when I started my journey and when I finished. I could save the trail. I could also get the saved file emailed to me automatically with a graphical illustration of speed, altitude and distance covered and also calories burnt! Gmaps already does the tracking. I dont suppose it would be too difficult for you to include trail recording and related info? If you do, MGmaps would be just about the best piece of software my phone ever had. Thanks
dmytro
Developer

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8130

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in development right now in Blackberry version Smile
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:
This is in development right now in Blackberry version Smile

would be a very useful feature - and hopefully, will work on all phones - would like to suggest keeping the code device independent to the extent possible.
Thanks,

basmic
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6500 Slide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if tracking will ever be implemented into GMaps - there doesn't seem to be any indication that it wil be, other than the author's say-so.

I don't see what could be so hard about dumping GPS coordinates, time and date into a file on the phone - then allow the user to fetch the file with their PC software.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basmic wrote:
I'm not sure if tracking will ever be implemented into GMaps - there doesn't seem to be any indication that it wil be, other than the author's say-so.

I don't see what could be so hard about dumping GPS coordinates, time and date into a file on the phone - then allow the user to fetch the file with their PC software.

I simply don't have time to do that. But maybe other users will do so when MGMaps becomes open-source.
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on it you know Laughing

Probably 1 more week to clean up the bugs and it will be released in blackberry.
basmic
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia 6500 Slide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
basmic wrote:

I simply don't have time to do that. But maybe other users will do so when MGMaps becomes open-source.
Will GMap-Track have the ability to record journeys? I know my phone will only update every 10-60 seconds to the site, but that would do for me.

In any case, it seems a shame to have such a nice piece of software, which only lacks one function a lot of users really wanted to see. Sad
Scowner
Power User

Phone Type: iPhone 3gs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:

Probably 1 more week to clean up the bugs and it will be released in blackberry.

How hard will it be to do this for the generic or N95 versions once you have completed Blackberry?
This feature is a must have for MGmaps. Its a great piece of software but I always end up using an alternative as it cant track or follow.
thom_vee
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scowner wrote:
dmytro wrote:

How hard will it be to do this for the generic or N95 versions once you have completed Blackberry?
This feature is a must have for MGmaps. Its a great piece of software but I always end up using an alternative as it cant track or follow.

I second that!
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a matter of Cris putting than piece of code to generic version, as I only maintain Blackberry for now. and Yes its almost done it will be able to record to KML and display your path on the phone (multiple paths actually with a choice of color for each Very Happy )
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright testing time Cool (note: its a Blackberry build, may not even work for generic phones)

Get latest build from here http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=9896

Post your bugs/comments in this thread.
thom_vee
Junior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:
Allright testing time Cool (note: its a Blackberry build, may not even work for generic phones)

Wrong link?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom_vee wrote:
Wrong link?

Yeah, you need to scroll. The scrolled link would be http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=9896#9896
Scowner
Power User

Phone Type: iPhone 3gs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:

Hows the testing going? No responses in this thread so either noone is testing or its working perfectly Shocked
Might have to get myself a blackberrry so i can try it out
thom_vee
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scowner wrote:
dmytro wrote:

Hows the testing going? No responses in this thread so either noone is testing or its working perfectly Shocked
Might have to get myself a blackberrry so i can try it out

I installed it on my new nokia e71. it took awhile to get it to latch on to the gps. but when it did it did record the trail and it was good to see that.however, i couldnt work out how to save the trail. is there some way to do that? This version doesnt seem to have support for osm cycle maps which i use most of the time Sad. Moreover, I couldnt use offline maps, as the application preferences does not give me an option to read user data without asking for permission. Thus the phone pops up a dialogue as soon as the map needs to change,asking for permission and then went into an endless cycle of panning and dialogue messages. I had to reboot. It seems to work ok with the normal online maps though. Any updates in que?
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test builds are NOT signed (Cris has the Certificate to sign it), that is the reason you get permission popups. This problem is not the case for blackberries as they only ask once. Confused

The file saves to /SDcard/MGMapsCache/Yourtripname.kml

I am aware there are tones of improvements that could be made, and its not very stable at the moment.
AlexDaryan
MGMapper

Phone Type: BlackBerry Curve 8310

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Uncaught exception Reply with quote

I am getting several problems with the test version for the BlackBerry:
First, it seems that I can only use yahoo maps, non of the other maps (live, google, etc) will load.
Second, if I try to find a place, I get the following error:
"Uncaught exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException", and then kicks me out of mgmaps.
When I use the menu, I can go down a branch, but there does not seem to be a way to return up the branch. One has to hit the space bar again to return to the root menu.

BTW, I am using a BB Curve 8310.

I will continue posting if I find more issues.

Thanks for making this program. I look forward to additional updates. Very Happy

Cheers.
thom_vee
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:

The file saves to /SDcard/MGMapsCache/Yourtripname.kml.

I checked the above folder, theres nothing there. Does one have to save it or does it get automatically saved? thanks
dmytro
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry AlexDaryan, my builds "menu" was designed for Blackberry "tracking ball" I can't speak for how it works on generic phones and if it normal or not. Confused

I truly hope Cris will someday release MGMaps under open source, so you guys can jump into coding. Its not easy to code with few people Rolling Eyes

thom_vee: Yes it should be automatically saved if Trip name is not "null"
AlexDaryan
MGMapper

Phone Type: BlackBerry Curve 8310

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:
Sorry AlexDaryan, my builds "menu" was designed for Blackberry "tracking ball" I can't speak for how it works on generic phones and if it normal or not. Confused

I truly hope Cris will someday release MGMaps under open source, so you guys can jump into coding. Its not easy to code with few people Rolling Eyes

thom_vee: Yes it should be automatically saved if Trip name is not "null"

Ah! My bad. Thanks for clarifying this. I used the trackball and it worked fine. What about the maps? Any chance I can use google maps? This would be my preference. Only yahoo maps seem to load. Also, I can't seem to find the saved track file. Do first need to create the folder where it would be saved?
Also, although I have the Backlight option to stay on, it keeps turning off based on the BB options setting. How can I make it stay on while I'm in MGMaps?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: