Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GPS number format

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Developer Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolaf
Developer

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: GPS number format Reply with quote

Hi,

I thought I might as well start posting here for future reference.

I am wondering about the number format to use for GPS data. Am I correct in assuming that each floatingpoint number received from the GPS receiver such as speed and altitude are represented as long numbers where the three least significant numbers are the decimals? And also, the speed is stored as m/h?

in other words, to get km/h I would have to divide the speed by 1000000, correct?

Will also have to add a few more fields to the GPS system as I use textual representations of latitude and longitude, and it makes no sense of converting things to integers and then back again Smile
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Things were designed to work in CLDC 1.0 / MIDP 1.0, where there's no support for floating point, all numbers are stored as integers and are used this way:

• lat/lon, 6 decimals: actual value * 1000000
  • speed, 3 decimals: value in km/h * 1000 (so m/h)
  • altitude, 3 decimals: value in m * 1000 (so mm)

Cristian
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Developer Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: