Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rotating maps/compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thalass
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia N82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Rotating maps/compass Reply with quote

Hey. This is a great program! One thing I think that could improve it though is having the map rotate so that up on the screen is your direction of travel. And with the compass I think having the background rotate while the needle stays stationary (pointing up of course) would be more intuitive - for me at least :p

How difficult would it be (once the program goes open-source) to customise the display to do this? If I could I think I'd have the map rotate, with the compass being a partially displayed at the bottom (say 1/4 of the circle) which would rotate while the needle stayed stationary, and displaying degrees rather than NSEW.

But I don't know much codery, though, so I'd have to learn from scratch.

Is it (or will it be) possible?

Thanks Cris for this great program!
FunkyB

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all also thank you from my side. Your Program is superb! Really great fun!

Regarding to Thalass's request I would like to add another (in complete complex) request. I have this ide vom gpsj - I think you know that program? Yours is better for miles, but I am missing one helpfull feature.

In gpsj you can define a waypoint where you want to go to. It would be great if you could integrate this also in mgmaps. It means, just pointing at one place in the (offline) map and then selecting via the menu that I want to go to this place (also offline). And THEN one additionally feature for the rotating compass would really be greate. As Thalass explained, the rotating compass (while gps-navigating) always pointing ahead (like a normal compass), but another needle in the compass pointing to the direction where the waypoint is. This would enable mgmaps-user to easyly OFFLINE-NAVIGATE to selected places. Finding streets leading to the place then is easy with pre downloaded maps.

Its hard to explain - but I hope you can understand what i mean Wink

Best regards
Frank

ps.: if you would also be able to calculate and display the distance (air way) you would have created the PERFECT COMPLETELY OFFLINE NAVIGATION TOOL for mobile phones. But this also would be a great big further step in later versions Wink
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotating maps/compass Reply with quote

Thalass wrote:
Hey. This is a great program! One thing I think that could improve it though is having the map rotate so that up on the screen is your direction of travel. And with the compass I think having the background rotate while the needle stays stationary (pointing up of course) would be more intuitive - for me at least :p

How difficult would it be (once the program goes open-source) to customise the display to do this? If I could I think I'd have the map rotate, with the compass being a partially displayed at the bottom (say 1/4 of the circle) which would rotate while the needle stayed stationary, and displaying degrees rather than NSEW.

But I don't know much codery, though, so I'd have to learn from scratch.

Is it (or will it be) possible?

Thanks Cris for this great program!

It is possible, but it will require some bigger changes, the app will also need more memory for the maps... Maybe it will be added in a future version.
akash_at_bangalore
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: A small similar feature Reply with quote

Hi!
i have been using mgmaps for quite some time now, and must admit its a great job.

i wish i had a simple but useful feature explained below (i guess its already mentioned by somebody above) it shall be very helpful when directions are not available from a service provider like google, for any reason.

i create a destination point on the map. since its far from my current location, i can see my current location and destination together only if i zoom out a lot.

however, i need to zoom in around current location while driving. when i have zoomed in, and am driving through curly roads, traffic and one-ways, i loose the overall direction from current location to destination.

it shall be helpful if there is an arrow from the centre of map, always pointing to the destination. thats all ! if the size of the arrow can somehow show the distance to the destination, it shall be added help.

i am using offline stored maps.

i hope its pretty easy to implement!

akash
PS : please note that i am not looking out for any rotating maps/compass. only overall direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: