Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tools to Convert single tiles to Multiple Tiles per File
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urb
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambra :
You are right : reducing the number of tiles per file to 32 or 64 more or less align the .mgm occupancy to the original 0123.png.
Any way my question remains, what is the advantage of using xx_yy.mgm files over 0123.png ones ?
ambra
Power User

Phone Type: SE K810i

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although real size of files is nearly equal, size on the disk can be much different, if you have many small files. Files can occupy only whole number of sectors on the disk. If sector size is 4 KB, then small files (e.g. 100 B) occupy 4 KB on the disk. Even 1 B file will occupy 4 KB on the disk. 1000 small files will occupy 4000 KB on the disk, even their real size is 100 KB.
By placing many tiles in one MGM file, the size on the disk comes close to real size of the tiles.
rsanabria80
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry Curve 8310

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ambra, I just created a new Topic on the problems forum since I tried installing and viewing maps with various tiles per file in another Blackberry (My Wife's) and the same error appeared. I am starteing to think that it may be a problem with the Signed Blackberry Version of Mgmaps...

By any chance do you know anyone with a Blackberry Device that can test this multiple tiles per file map and see if it has the same problem as mine?

Thank you and don't hesitate to contact me if I can be helpful in anything!

Cheers and thank you for all your quick replies and help!
Pyrpolizer
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95 8GB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What advantage in transforming 123....png tiles to .mgm Reply with quote

Urb wrote:
which occupy around 100 MB of memory space
_ Transform all 123...png to 123...jpg files, then rename them 123...png
Memory space is now as low as 5 MB (typcal)
_Up to now I just transfer that in the phone memory, and use it.

Reading this forum, I find that a lot of discussion arise about transforming the 123...png tiles in .mgm format. So I try it and succeed in the process BUT the memory needed is now up to 9 / 10 MB, twice as formerly.When using the phone, there is no visible difference.

Does somebody can lighten me about the interest of this transformation.
Thanks by advance.

The MTPF format is used when you have a LARGE number of tiles.Even the strongest phone gets unstable if the tiles exceed a few thousand so in that case you must convert to MTPF. Your case (only 5MB) seems to fall outside this criteria.

It became 9/10 MB because obviously you transformed to MTPF directly from png format. Transform them from jpg format and you will get much less than 5 MB.

But like I said 5 MB is insignifigant, don't even bother.
To give you an idea I personally have 1 GB tiles Wink
Pyrpolizer
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95 8GB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsanabria80 wrote:

Sorry I can't help because my application does not support YY-XX naming format as input (although it outputs such), secondly I have no idea how Office 2007 works.

The only thing I can do is this:You Re-download the Venezualla tiles using one of the first 3 options of GmapMaker, zip them, and send them to me via PM. I will convert them for you, and you do a FINAL test and TRACE the problem.

i noticed the whole Venezualla map ended up as only 4 MTPFs (at 256 tiles per file). Their sizes are:793, 66, 906, and 86 KB. From what you said it seems you can only see the 66, and 86 KB MTPFs, so imo the 256 TFP might be too heavy for your mobile. Try a lower number.

Another thing:You said that it takes about 6 hours to transfer them on your mobile?? That's too much!! Are you using bluetooth or USB? You must use USB at DATA TRANSFER mode. It shouldn't take you more than 2-3 seconds per MB.

I don't know about the Blackberries but the Nokias too need ages to transfer data at any other mode.
burekbrigada
Junior

Phone Type: SE P990i

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambra wrote:
I've added support for QRST naming convention. Please test it.

Well, tiles from Europe (N44°49'8.35" E20°27'59.40") are converted to nowhere ( 54°18'1.68"S 79°46'8.33"W). At first i was sure that resulting mgm files (16 per tile) are corrupted, but then a looked in KMZ created by your tool and almost fall from chair Smile I put same coordinates in phone and yes, large city start appearing in a middle of ocean. My files are in QRTS format but after renaming in 0123 type result is same.
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've noticed that problem.
The fact is that those maps on the Internet (like Google Maps, Microsoft Live Maps, Yahoo Maps etc.) use Mercator projection (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection how vertical dimension responds to latitude), and when you add an overlay to Google Earth it doesn't know about projections, it just adds it in a linear fashion. That's why there's such difference in small zoom levels. In large zoom levels the difference is almost not noticeable.
This could be solved by transforming the tiles before putting them in the KMZ file, but for now that's too much work. Sad
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a map in zoom level 1. Notice yellow state lines and how big the difference is:

And here's the same map (animated GIF) in zoom level 14 so you can see that difference is not noticeable:

It would be interesting to see the difference in various zoom levels with Google tiles overlayed in Google Earth (same tiles).
burekbrigada
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambra wrote:
Yes, I've noticed that problem.
(

I obviously not clearly explained problem. For example tile "trtqtssrqrtqqrsr.jpg" with your tool became "18247_44578.mgm" instead of "18247_11810.mgm", which is correct. Let see 18. level: tile "trtqtssrqrtqqrsrtt.jpg" became "72988_178315.mgm" instead of "72988_47243.mgm".

Because its too big error, I guess you just uploaded on this board, some unchecked jar file.

P.S. Fighting with different projections , of course, require too much work but my problem is totally different.
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the source of the tiles you're trying to convert? Which projection does that map use? Please upload few tiles. How did you calculate the coordinates?

Can someone else confirm this problem?
burekbrigada
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambra wrote:
What's the source of the tiles you're trying to convert?

Google Map (Satellite) tiles (Belgrade downtown).

ambra wrote:

Which projection does that map use? Please upload few tiles. How did you calculate the coordinates?
Can someone else confirm this problem?

Mercator as all GoogleMap tiles do. I calculate coordinates and mgm files names (x_y.mgm convention)with my tool, but all other programs have exactly same results as my tool. maptilecacher.exe which I found on this forum work perfectly, but your tool is so much comfortable.

Are you tested version which is attached in this thread?

16.ZIP
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  16.ZIP
 Filesize:  844.2 KB
 Downloaded:  1316 Time(s)

ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that every OziExplorer tile begins with "t" that's not part of quadkey and must be discarded. I fixed that in the version I'm uploading here, because I'm not sure if it will break compatibility with other tile naming conventions that use "QRST" for quadkey.

Please test it.

UPDATE
I'm deleting attacment to this post, because I've uploaded it here:
http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=11972#11972

I've also added hash_size option, so MapAlive can now read MGMapsCache folder with hash_size>1.

Last edited by ambra on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
burekbrigada
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambra wrote:
It seems that every OziExplorer tile begins with "t" that's not part of quadkey and must be discarded. I fixed that in the version I'm uploading here, because I'm not sure if it will break compatibility with other tile naming conventions that use "QRST" for quadkey.

Please test it.

Thank you very much Ambra! It work perfectly now. I was very near to writing my own tool but you saved me of extra work Very Happy .

Maybe you can add option to ignore first "t" to existing MapAlive, because majority programs keep tiles with first "t" preserved.

BTW tiles are not from OZI, but from SASPlaneta and SatMap programs. If you can understand Russian a little (and something tell me you can Smile ) I highly recommend those programs, they are vastly superior to any other program. Easily circumvent Google ban and much more
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burekbrigada wrote:
Maybe you can add option to ignore first "t" to existing MapAlive, because majority programs keep tiles with first "t" preserved.

I probably will.

burekbrigada wrote:
BTW tiles are not from OZI, but from SASPlaneta and SatMap programs. If you can understand Russian a little (and something tell me you can Smile )

Naravno Wink
Didn't even know about those programs. I will check them out.
Zhelkus
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia N78

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new here. I made a thread some days ago but it got no attention so I was advised to post here.

I found MGMaps a few weeks ago and it's pretty cool. I used to have my entire city covered with maps from Google Maps on my phone's SD memory card thanks to gMapMaker. The most frustrating con about using the file per tile scheme was that it created a lot of folders and when I wanted to customize something on my phone that required an automated scan, it would take ages. That, and wasted space on the card.

So I wanted to try out the KMZ method. I used MapAlive to store all the mgms (renamed PNGs, tho I left them as mgm) in archives according to their zoom level. MapAlive actually did it all. Curious thing: I've been reading a few threads and there's reference to a set amount of tiles per file...? Reading this, I found it odd that MapAlive grabbed all of the images in a level and packed them into a single archive because I've got the 17th zoom level with more than 20k images. Anyway, then when I copied the archives to the MGMaps cache folder on my SD card the program wouldn't read them... Like it couldn't find any tile to display.

Could I get some assistance on this, plz?
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely sure that I understand your question. It seems to me that you used MapAlive for every zoom level (folder) you had.

Is that the case?

Can you post here file structure that you had before and after using MapAlive, and what folder did you point MapAlive to?
Zhelkus
Junior

Phone Type: Nokia N78

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ambra wrote:
I'm not completely sure that I understand your question. It seems to me that you used MapAlive for every zoom level (folder) you had.

Is that the case?

That is precisely the case. Very Happy Is it not meant to do so?

ambra wrote:
Can you post here file structure that you had before and after using MapAlive, and what folder did you point MapAlive to?

Sure. Here it is:

And here are the contents of my cache.conf just in case:
Code:
version=3
tiles_per_file=1
hash_size=97
center=0.000000,0.000000,1,GoogleMap
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KMZ files are supposed to be viewed in Google Earth. They don't work with MGMaps.
Point MapAlive to folder where your cache.conf file is. Then, click Save as MGM, and choose number of tiles per file and destination folder.
MapAlive will make new MGMapsCache folder that you need to copy to your phone.
kuzin
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Hybrid maps Reply with quote

Hi,

it is very nice tool to convert google tiles. I have downloaded GoogleHybrid maps with gMapmaker. I tried to make not so many files with MApAlive but for Google HybridMAp it is not working. It does not do anything with the satellite images. Could you modify it?
ambra
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid maps Reply with quote

kuzin wrote:
Hi,

it is very nice tool to convert google tiles. I have downloaded GoogleHybrid maps with gMapmaker. I tried to make not so many files with MApAlive but for Google HybridMAp it is not working. It does not do anything with the satellite images. Could you modify it?

Can you please give more details? What are the tiles named? Directory structure?
gMapMaker has option to make MGMaps tiles directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: