Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Mgmaps for Android
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: MGMaps Lib SDK Reply with quote

tekihyaku wrote:
Can we use it ?

http://www.nutiteq.com/libsdk.html
http://www.nutiteq.com/system/files/maps-lib-android_1_0_0.zip

Well, this is a library providing some functionality of the MGMaps core to developers, it's not a program for end users -- but at some point we'll rewrite the MGMaps application to be based on the library...
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
#Update#
There is a low memory option in the map browsing menu. I denied the net access permissions so the memory wouldn't get used up with maps being downloaded, ticked the option and now i don't get that memory error when the maps are downloaded after allowing the net access again. I can confirm mgmaps works fine:) gps and stored maps included!

Yeah, it seems the memory available for the application is rather small, the same thing happens with jbed on windows mobile. I wonder if it's possible to pass memory parameters to jbed.

I tried it on my G1 and it doesn't work, ddms debug log says "could not load jbed native lib jbedvm". Anyway it crashed the phone completely, I had to restart it.
thazlett
MGMapper

Phone Type: HTC Touch Diamond/Pro - I have both!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
thazlett wrote:
#Update#
There is a low memory option in the map browsing menu. I denied the net access permissions so the memory wouldn't get used up with maps being downloaded, ticked the option and now i don't get that memory error when the maps are downloaded after allowing the net access again. I can confirm mgmaps works fine:) gps and stored maps included!

Yeah, it seems the memory available for the application is rather small, the same thing happens with jbed on windows mobile. I wonder if it's possible to pass memory parameters to jbed.

I tried it on my G1 and it doesn't work, ddms debug log says "could not load jbed native lib jbedvm". Anyway it crashed the phone completely, I had to restart it.

Yeah i think that apk has some dependencies. It wouldn't work on my friends hero which has the stock software.

However with the updated hero rom i'm using on my hero it works nicely as i said.
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The java app for android is now available properly so here is a link to the file and instructions....

http://home.leakdroid.com/2009/08/31/java-app-for-android/comment-page-1/

xda developers thread;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553803
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
The java app for android is now available properly so here is a link to the file and instructions....

http://home.leakdroid.com/2009/08/31/java-app-for-android/comment-page-1/

xda developers thread;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=553803

First, thanks for letting us know. The only thing missing was libjbedvm.so from /system/lib, that sounds like a very simple solution, but it isn't. Unfortunately /system/lib is readonly, you must root your device in order to get it read-write and that's not for the regular user. I also can't try it because my android G1 essentially isn't "mine".

As for the emulator, I got it to install jbed, install MGMaps in jbed and run MGMaps -- but it gives out of memory before the initial map is loaded. I know Android has some awful per-app memory limits, probably that's why it doesn't work.
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months have passed, has there been any development on this front?

Is a native android version in the works and nearing release?

I'm considering buying an android phone and it would be nice to know if mgmaps is coming to the platform, either via J2ME or natively.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
A couple of months have passed, has there been any development on this front?

Is a native android version in the works and nearing release?

I'm considering buying an android phone and it would be nice to know if mgmaps is coming to the platform, either via J2ME or natively.

The problem with the j2me version is there's no good MIDP runner for android. I tried to run a newer version of Netmite without success, their site seems to take forever to answer. If they make it work, mgmaps will probably run on Android without any modifications (or with minimal changes I can make).

A native version is also coming, either with the native google maps (if it has all the features needed for MGMaps), or with the MGMaps Lib SDK. Hopefully we'll see it out soon this year. Smile
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thank you for answering. I'm pretty sure I'll have an Android phone by May at the latest, with a bit of luck, I won't have to wait for MGMaps for long : )

By the way, how could MGMaps come to android with the native google maps? Do you mean it would be an extension of the Google Maps android app from Google itself?

MGMaps has quite a few nice features, but the single most important one is offline maps for when I'm abroad, including maps from various sources... If that can be baked into the stock Google Maps app somehow, I'll be happy.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
By the way, how could MGMaps come to android with the native google maps? Do you mean it would be an extension of the Google Maps android app from Google itself?

I'm not really experienced with the Android map component yet, but MGMaps could work with it if it supports custom map definitions/overlays.

lofarkas wrote:
MGMaps has quite a few nice features, but the single most important one is offline maps for when I'm abroad, including maps from various sources... If that can be baked into the stock Google Maps app somehow, I'll be happy.

Yeah, if the stock app supports custom map definitions it should be possible to hack it somehow and use stored maps with that.
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have my android phone, so my interest is renewed... The newest netmite version seems to be 1.7.0.2 now. Is that the one you tested?
Also, did you test their jar to apk converter at http://www.netmite.com/android/srv/1.7.0.2/getapk.php ?
Thank you for any info.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
I now have my android phone, so my interest is renewed... The newest netmite version seems to be 1.7.0.2 now. Is that the one you tested?
Also, did you test their jar to apk converter at http://www.netmite.com/android/srv/1.7.0.2/getapk.php ?
Thank you for any info.

Yeah, I suppose you tried it too and saw it didn't work. I think they only support some basic midlet features, not GPS or storage. I actually tried it with other applications I did too, some with maps others without maps but with GPS support, and got the same result.
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
lofarkas wrote:
Thank you for any info.

Yeah, I suppose you tried it too and saw it didn't work. I think they only support some basic midlet features, not GPS or storage. I actually tried it with other applications I did too, some with maps others without maps but with GPS support, and got the same result.

Actually, I asked before trying... apparently there's no point trying it then.

Can you make any kind of a guess as to when a native android version might be coming? I'm just trying to decide whether or not to start looking for some other offline map solution.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
lofarkas wrote:
Thank you for any info.

Actually, I asked before trying... apparently there's no point trying it then.

Can you make any kind of a guess as to when a native android version might be coming? I'm just trying to decide whether or not to start looking for some other offline map solution.

This year. But can't say more precise than that...
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, looking forward to it...

BTW, microemu might be able to convert mgmaps to .apk (native android app).
Apparently, Trekbuddy was converted/ported to android using microemu.
http://microemu.blogspot.com/
http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2791&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
Thanks, looking forward to it...

BTW, microemu might be able to convert mgmaps to .apk (native android app).
Apparently, Trekbuddy was converted/ported to android using microemu.
http://microemu.blogspot.com/
http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2791&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

COOL! Many thanks for the tip! This was a quick port! OK, there are a few problems:
  • Initial font size for the menu is too small, you have to be very accurate to go select Settings/Display/Font/Large. This will be the default in future versions of mgmaps.
  • The keyboard doesn't work in the app canvas, you can't navigate the menu using keys.
  • The browse button in stored maps is not accessible (probably j2me buttons are not functional).
  • Stored maps work to some extent but stop working from a certain zoom level (zl=5 for me)
  • There's no GPS available Sad ... but I have an idea why that would happen, I think it has to do with the GPS initialization in my code.

... but still I'm impressed of the level of functionality in microemu!

mgmaps.apk.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  mgmaps.apk.zip
 Filesize:  434.77 KB
 Downloaded:  1266 Time(s)

lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I didn't even expect you'd devote time to this, I just posted it in case somebody else wanted to give it a shot.
You could talk to the developer who ported trekbuddy with this thing, he sorted out similar issues... most of his solutions would probably work with MGMaps as well.

Do you just plan to polish this and make it THE android release, or are you rewriting MGMaps for android from scratch?
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Feedback Reply with quote

Well, I just tested MGMaps on my HTC Desire. Here's what I have:
- GPS doesn't work, says "GPS functionality is not available on this device". It would be nice to get GPS as well as cell tower-based location. Rmaps (http://robertdeveloper.blogspot.com/) has both and they both work fine so it should be possible.
- Online maps seem to work fine
- Offline maps seem to work fine
- Performance is stellar so far. Online maps load fast off of good wifi connection, and offline maps are lightning fast. I tried panning the map as fast as I can, the rendering keeps up with it.
- Moving around the menu is a huge pain. The Desire has an optical joystick/trackpad gimmick (directional input and confirm button), and it's not recognized in MGMaps. The Menu button works, the back button works but that's it. The phone has no keyboard so the best option I have is jabbing at the touchscreen and hoping I hit the menu I was aiming for. I tried the button configuration menu, it gets stuck on the first screen (it doesn't accept any button input) and there is no way to get out of the menu. I have to force close the app or restart the phone (Android keeps a savestate of apps in the memory so just "quitting" doesn't help - I get the same screen next time I start MGMaps).
I'm sure you know all Android phones must have a search button. It'd be a nice perk to get address/location search hooked up to the search button, but obviously the directional and confirm buttons are the priority.
- Browsing for offline maps doesn't work, I had to type the full location manually - but at least it works (BTW the microSD card is "scdard").
- When I flip the phone to landscape mode, the map and the menu flips to the correct orientation, but the menu bar on the bottom switches to the giant sized version. If I open the menu it's the small version so it's just the bottom menu bar with the + and - buttons and the map switch button on top that are jumbo sized.
- The app also crashed a couple of times, but that's sort of expected. It's not too bad on Android as the system just tells you the app crashed, you press OK to force close it and go on with life. It doesn't just hang and force you to remove the battery or anything like that.

Edit: to my surprise, the feature rich rmaps is open source: http://robertdeveloper.blogspot.com/2009/08/rmaps.html

I'm not sure if you can use ideas/code unless you make MGMaps open source as well, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
thazlett
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually just started using rmaps for it's stored maps feature, but its just not same as it doesn't have the Friend tracking feature like mgmaps! Sad

I have also noticed mgmaps is in the android market now, although you still need a j2me runner for it. GPS does not appear to work but thats probably the j2me program. Is there any more updates on this? been just over a year now since the main page has been updated Sad
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thazlett wrote:
I have also noticed mgmaps is in the android market now, although you still need a j2me runner for it. GPS does not appear to work but thats probably the j2me program. Is there any more updates on this? been just over a year now since the main page has been updated Sad

Wow, thanks for letting me know. It seems it was uploaded by someone else, I suggest you flag that content as inappropriate immediately, I wouldn't be surprised if it contains a virus/trojan/who knows what else.

There are updates coming including a native application some time in september.
lofarkas
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
thazlett wrote:

Wow, thanks for letting me know. It seems it was uploaded by someone else, I suggest you flag that content as inappropriate immediately, I wouldn't be surprised if it contains a virus/trojan/who knows what else.

There are updates coming including a native application some time in september.

Wow, that's great. I was about to give up on this, to be honest.
I hope you saw my post above about how the first native version performed for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: