Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry 8310

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidOttawa
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310, 9700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry 8310 Reply with quote

I'm in trouble. I am flying to Rome this weekend and MgMaps is not working properly on my Blackberry 8310 (v4.5.0.81, Rogers). I always use MgMaps in offline mode when travelling. Here is the sequence of my troubles:

(1) I used to use MgMaps 1.39.18 until I upgraded the BB OS to 4.5. Then the messages about accessing the local store appeared for every map tile opened.

(2) I installed the signed BB version from Dmytro (www.iroot.ca/projects/mgmaps/Blackberry). I have 1.40.22 now.

(3) Signed 1.40.22 works fine and updates the map position correctly from the GPS. However the direction and speed is erratic, as others have noted. The directional arrow is really important if I am walking in Rome.

(4) I then uninstalled 1.40.22, and installed 1.39.18_bb from the download page. I did it OTA and through the Blackberry desktop installer. I pulled the battery at numerous times. In all cases, 1.39.18 does not read the internal GPS. BB Maps reads the GPS just fine. As an aside, it does not ask about accessing local store for reading the map tiles, so it seems to have some memory about the signed version being there in the past.

(5) I am back to 1.40.22 from Dmytro, but the direction and speed are still erratic. I have turned on mobile tracking, saving a track (track display is nice!) etc. The map position updates corrected (but not at the 3 second rate specified in the GPS settings).

Will I get lost in Rome?
dmytro
Developer

Phone Type: Blackberry Pearl 8130

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are flying to Rome? wow you need this for this weekend? wow

What a request Laughing Did you consider some donation maybe?
and what do you mean by "direction and speed are still erratic" slow? or not working at all?
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry 8310 Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:
and what do you mean by "direction and speed are still erratic" slow? or not working at all?

The GPS position updates every 3-5 seconds, and the map moves correctly. There does not seem to be a correlation with the refresh interval in the Mobile Tracking menu. I have it set to 1 second, but it still takes 3-5 seconds per update. This is not a big issue but it might be a clue.

I have enabled the Heading Arrow, the GPS activity, and the Position/Speed overlays. As I watch the Position/SPeed overlay, I can tell when it updates because the last digits change. The speed shows zero about half the time. The heading arrow points north about half the time too, even if I am travelling at a constant speed and direction. It is almost like the GPS position is not changing between refreshes, and so the velocity appears to be exactly zero. I have a suspicion that it is worse if there is a _strong_ GPS signal.

These features used to work under 1.39.18_bb, after I sent Cristian the BB code for reading the GPS (http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1498&highlight=).

An unrelated question -- where do you set the file name for the saved track? It asked the first time I tried it, and drew a nice black track on the screen. In subsequent sessions, I see the filename screen flash on when the program starts, but no track is drawn, and I can't find the menu item.

I really am leaving for Rome tomorrow, but I was not expecting a solution before I leave. Rome is flat and the roads are straight, aren't they?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry Reply with quote

DavidOttawa wrote:
(1) I used to use MgMaps 1.39.18 until I upgraded the BB OS to 4.5. Then the messages about accessing the local store appeared for every map tile opened.

The latest version of MGMaps 1.39.18 for Blackberry is signed, it should no longer give those messages about accessing the local store. You can get it from http://wap.mgmaps.com.
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
The latest version of MGMaps 1.39.18 for Blackberry is signed, it should no longer give those messages about accessing the local store. You can get it from http://wap.mgmaps.com.

That explains why I no longer saw the local store messages when I reverted to 1.39.18. However 1.39.18 was not reading the internal GPS of my BB 8310. The GPS worked okay with previous unsigned versions. Is there something different about how the GPS is handled in the signed version?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry Reply with quote

DavidOttawa wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

That explains why I no longer saw the local store messages when I reverted to 1.39.18. However 1.39.18 was not reading the internal GPS of my BB 8310. The GPS worked okay with previous unsigned versions. Is there something different about how the GPS is handled in the signed version?

No, it's probably handled differently in Dmytro's version. I'll check and see if we can fix it in the stable version too...
DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reverting from 1.40 to 1.39 and GPS updating Blackberry Reply with quote

dmytro wrote:

I have attached an AVI file (MJPEG) showing my Blackberry 8310 with Mgmaps 1.41.18 as I travel at a constant speed towards the west. Sorry for the focus. You can see the directional arrow usually points north even though the map position is updating as I drive west. Occassionally it points in the direction of travel. ALthough you probably can't see it from the video, whenever the arrow points north, the speed reads zero.

Despite this problem, I successfully used Mgmaps while in Rome. I followed the Via Appia Antica on foot using only Mgmaps. THanks to the developer(s) for a great application.

video.zip
 Description:
ZIP of AVI video of Mgmaps 1.41.18 while driving west at a constant speed.

Download
 Filename:  video.zip
 Filesize:  6.34 MB
 Downloaded:  715 Time(s)

DavidOttawa
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy to report that MGMaps version 1.39.20_bb of 2009/06/19 now works on my Blackberry 8310. The GPS now works perfectly, and correctly shows the direction and speed, unlike 1.41.18 that I had previously used. And because it is a signed version, there are no messages about accessing the local store. Thanks Cristian!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: