Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Is there a way how to change MGMaps icon in s60?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedro.b
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Is there a way how to change MGMaps icon in s60? Reply with quote

Hi there.

I'm a really happy user of MGMaps. But I would like to change the app icon. In my nokia 6120 classic I use a theme with Flahorn's Prototype icons and recently decided to add MobileGMaps to my active standby shortcuts (its one of the apps I use the most). Although I really enjoy the large icon in the N95 version, it just didn't fit among the others in the home screen.

I tried browsing with WinRAR through the jar file and found mgmaps24.png and mgmaps64.png. But I couldn't edit the file. I've searched in vain for the icon in the phone using Xplore (I guess symbian runs the icon from the jar). In my last atempt I tried modifying appshelldata.xml so that it would use another icon. I've been partially successfull: the app icon did change in the menu grid, but in the active standby screen, where the phone loads the small icon, remains the square original one (I may be doing some mistake in the "icon_skin_minor_id" or something).

Can anyone help me?

And congratulations for the great app. Thanks.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a way how to change MGMaps icon in s60? Reply with quote

pedro.b wrote:
Hi there.

I'm a really happy user of MGMaps. But I would like to change the app icon. In my nokia 6120 classic I use a theme with Flahorn's Prototype icons and recently decided to add MobileGMaps to my active standby shortcuts (its one of the apps I use the most). Although I really enjoy the large icon in the N95 version, it just didn't fit among the others in the home screen.

I tried browsing with WinRAR through the jar file and found mgmaps24.png and mgmaps64.png. But I couldn't edit the file. I've searched in vain for the icon in the phone using Xplore (I guess symbian runs the icon from the jar). In my last atempt I tried modifying appshelldata.xml so that it would use another icon. I've been partially successfull: the app icon did change in the menu grid, but in the active standby screen, where the phone loads the small icon, remains the square original one (I may be doing some mistake in the "icon_skin_minor_id" or something).

Can anyone help me?

And congratulations for the great app. Thanks.

The icon is only in mgmaps24/mgmaps64.png. You can change that image inside the jar (the jar is just a zip archive) -- but if you change it, the application signature (inside the .jad) will fail and you will only be able to install the unsigned version directly from the jar. There should be no other modification needed, maybe the phone caches the icon shown in the standby screen somewhere. Try to remove mgmaps from the standby screen, then install the changed version, then re-add it.
pedro.b
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried replacing the png files inside the jar file. When I do this in the N95 version of MGMaps (1.42.00), I get an "authentication failure". When I add the jad file, as expected I get an "invalid jar file". I tried with the Generic version (that comes with an unsigned jad file), with the same result: "invalid jar file".

I went the long way and replaced the jar file already installed in the phone memory (disabling caps and using Xplore to replace it in Private/102233/MIDLets/1077b-something). After doing so, when I open MGMaps the icon inside the program is the new and desired one, but the icon shown in the menu of the phone and also in the active standby is the original one. Yep, I tried restarting the phone.

Somewhere in the process I decided to replace the jad file in the Private folder what made MGMaps simply stop working (and not even uninstalling). The good news is that when I was uninstalling it manually I found out that symbian keeps the icon for the app in a system folder as a .MBM file. I'll try to replace it (as soon as I get MGMaps reinstalled - it now freezes in the middle of the installation process) and tell you what happened.

Thanks.
pedro.b
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some wrong I finally got it. While I was manually uninstalling MGMaps after messing with its files, I accidentally erased some phone certificates and had to hard reset it to be able to install java again.

But I had found out that Symbian creates an ICON######.MBM file in C:/Private/1003a3f/import/apps/NonNative/Resource during any java midlet installation.

After some time spent creating some ugly MBM files with MBMConverter I read someone suggesting to edit a jar file of another midlet and let symbiam create the MBM file I needed. Opera Mini was the app I used (why I can alter the png inside Opera jar and install it without authentication errors is a question to be answered - I tried it with MGMaps' jar unsuccesfully). I inserted a new png in Opera, installed it and copied the MBM after the installation. Then uninstalled Opera and replaced MGMaps' MBM file. Voi-lá.

If someone else is as obsessed as I am with themes and icons maybe this will help. Or maybe not. Ra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: