Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

GPS over Serial Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: GPS over Serial Port Reply with quote

Starting with v1.30 (currently in alpha stage), MGMaps supports GPS devices over the Serial Port. This should hopefully eliminate the need of Navizon to access the GPS on Windows-Mobile smartphones and PPCs and maybe Palm PDAs. This feature is experimental, it was not tested enough - try the alpha version and post below any feedback about this feature.

Cristian
jfargas

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this software today for the first time and I find it really cool. Keep on the great work!

I tried connecting with my GPS using the new serial port thing but I keep getting a message saying "Serial Ports N/A - No serial ports are available on this phone". Any ideas? I have a Panasonic X800 running on a Symbian OS.

Other than that, I tried connecting my GPS with Navizon and it worked fine. Another very cool application by the way.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the X800 does not have any serial ports, does it? Don't you connect to the GPS over bluetooth?

Cristian
adrianol
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: GPS over Serial Port Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Starting with v1.30 (currently in alpha stage), MGMaps supports GPS devices over the Serial Port. This should hopefully eliminate the need of Navizon to access the GPS on Windows-Mobile smartphones and PPCs and maybe Palm PDAs. This feature is experimental, it was not tested enough - try the alpha version and post below any feedback about this feature.

Cristian

Hi,

Installed successfully on my iMate SP5m (WM5 SP). Runs fine.

However have been unable to get GPS working. Using a Bluetooth GPS device, which has been configured and allocated COM7. Have gone into the GPS settings and selected serial access through COM7. When try to select "Services/GPS", it says "GPS Error GPS position not yet determined. Please..."

Does it have any logging information to help diagnose what is going on.

Adrian
Chiang Mai, Thailand
ps - when I select "Google Satellite" as the map source, it displays "Map tiles not available, please zoom..."

This happens for Chiang Mai, Thailand, and UK. I know the Google Maps for Chiang Mai work - see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=18.731563%C2%B0N+98.936423%C2%B0E&ie=UTF8&z=13&ll=18.731615,98.936348&spn=0.092339,0.167542&t=k&om=1
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does have some logging. Go to Help/Debug and let me know what Error Messages you get there. You should also see some debugging messages that indicate if a connection to the GPS was initiated and/or completed. The GPS-over-serial port feature is new, it's not been tested very much. You can also try to use the GPS through Navizon as described here.

Cristian
adrianol
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Yes, it does have some logging. Go to Help/Debug and let me know what Error Messages you get there. You should also see some debugging messages that indicate if a connection to the GPS was initiated and/or completed. The GPS-over-serial port feature is new, it's not been tested very much. You can also try to use the GPS through Navizon as described here.

Cristian

I had a look at the Help/Debug. When I go into settings/GPS, select Serial, then COM7, I can see it is accepting COM7. But then it appears to not try talking to the GPS.

So I exit (with saving), then restart it. Looking at the logs, it reverts to COM1.

Also, every time you go into settings/gps, select Serial, it appears to revert to COM1.

I got it to work with Navizon - big COOL!!

I still cannot get Google satellite images to work. The debug reports it accessing http://kh2.google.com/kh?n=404&v=11&t=trsttqrsqqstsrq, which does appear to be a real jpeg image of the correct area.

If you would like me to try anything else, please let me know - be very glad to help Smile

Adrian
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check the serial code, maybe the option is not correctly saved.

I'm aware there are several PDAs where the JVM doesn't support JPEG images. Are you using IBM's JVM? If not, that may also be the reason why serial ports are not working.

Cristian
adrianol
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I'll check the serial code, maybe the option is not correctly saved.

I'm aware there are several PDAs where the JVM doesn't support JPEG images. Are you using IBM's JVM? If not, that may also be the reason why serial ports are not working.

Cristian

It is the one that comes installed on the iMate SP5m. The about says "intent Java MIDlet manager" - Tao Group Limited...

Most other stuff works - well, gmail, google maps - ah - just tried that - it reports "This phone won't display satellite images (JPEGS)" - shame... Sad

Adrian
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I guess you're using the Intent JVM. Try to install the JVM from IBM (if it's available for free for your PDA), maybe it'll help with the JPG support too.

Cristian
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: