Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New to maps on Blackberry Bold

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boldberry

Phone Type: Blackberry Bold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: New to maps on Blackberry Bold Reply with quote

I would like to put a detailed map of France and Germany, good enough for walking directions, on a memory card for my Blackberry Bold, my computer is an intel iMac.

Can someone provide me with step by step instruction so I achieve the following:

1 Use only GPS no paying for data from mobile phone companies.

2 How to download the maps, I believe they com as tiles and they have different levels of detail. Which map source is the best?

3 What size memory card do I need, how much data does a map this size take up?

4 Given I have an iMac can I do this on the Mac OS or do I need to use a Windows OS?

5 I live in Australia how do I test that it is working before I get to Europe?

6 Anything else I need to know about get the GPS in a Blackberry Bold to work?

Thanks for any help you can provide
DavidOttawa
Power User

Phone Type: Blackberry 8310, 9700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGmaps is ideal for what you want. There is a tutorial on using stored maps at http://www.mgmaps.com/stored/. I can't say if the programs work on the Mac.

You will not have enough room on your microSD card to hold all of Europe at walking scale. All of western Europe up to zoom level 10 takes 200 MB and 20,000 files. A map that shows street detail of a city requires zoom level 15 or 17. I suggest that you download all of Europe at a low zoom level to give you complete coverage, then add additional areas of interest at higher zoom level. You have to make your best guess at where you will be hiking.

You can test it at home by turning off the "mobile tracking" feature. That way it doesn't keep jumping to your current location. Zoom out a long way, then pan the map to your destination, then zoom in. You should see the maps at the level of detail that you have loaded. I always do this before traveling to make sure that I have installed my areas of interest.

MGmaps works great on my Blackberry 8310 with 2 GB, and should be fine on your 9000. I suggest you get a 8 GB microSD card.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Usage Questions and Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: