Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Track in Google Earth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marce_245
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Track in Google Earth? Reply with quote

Hi Cris!.

I've been playing around with MGMaps and my Blackjack i617. It's been great so far. I recently started using the gmap-track service, wich I think is awesome. Now here is the thing, would it be possible to track my position live (and the position of my friends) but within Google Earth on my desktop pc?, maybe through the gmap-track page there's some way to export my location to Google Earth and update it periodically?. I know that I can use the plugin from the browser but I would like to do the same thing from the standalone app. Its a feature I've always wanted but I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

Thanks in advance!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Track in Google Earth? Reply with quote

marce_245 wrote:
Hi Cris!.

I've been playing around with MGMaps and my Blackjack i617. It's been great so far. I recently started using the gmap-track service, wich I think is awesome. Now here is the thing, would it be possible to track my position live (and the position of my friends) but within Google Earth on my desktop pc?, maybe through the gmap-track page there's some way to export my location to Google Earth and update it periodically?. I know that I can use the plugin from the browser but I would like to do the same thing from the standalone app. Its a feature I've always wanted but I haven't been able to find a way to do that.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it is possible, not tested too much though. The address would be something like: http://www.gmap-track.com/api?m=location.get.user&out=kml&v=1.07&getuser=test3, replace test3 with your username, and make sure your location is set to be public not private.
marce_245
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I made it work with this http://www.gmap-track.com/api?v=1.05&m=location.get.me&out=kmldata&user=myusername&tid=mytid
And I didn't need to set my location to be public. Works flawlessly, I will try your way just in case, maybe it updates faster or something. I've noticed that it updates once every 2 or 3 seconds even though in mgmaps is set to update in 1 second and the gps on my phone has that refresh rate because I have seen it in the app (it refreshes much faster than in gmap-track.com thus in google earth).
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marce_245 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I made it work with this http://www.gmap-track.com/api?v=1.05&m=location.get.me&out=kmldata&user=myusername&tid=mytid
And I didn't need to set my location to be public. Works flawlessly, I will try your way just in case, maybe it updates faster or something. I've noticed that it updates once every 2 or 3 seconds even though in mgmaps is set to update in 1 second and the gps on my phone has that refresh rate because I have seen it in the app (it refreshes much faster than in gmap-track.com thus in google earth).

I think the default update online is 30 seconds, which is the same as the default web tracking update interval set in MGMaps. There's no point in setting that to a low number, because it has to send a request to the server for each update.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Suggest Features All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: