Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

access to Map Overlays for GE offline?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caliph

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: access to Map Overlays for GE offline? Reply with quote

I was so excited when i found these overlays on your website. the google hybrid one seemed perfect for our use: [we will be traveling on the road for a while, and would like to use GE on our laptop to find alternate routes as well as POI's that i've already created kml files for (libraries and gas stations mostly). We do not have a GPS or anything hand held.]

It seems I can zoom over the sections i need in Google Earth and it will hold the satellite data in my cache. However I haven't found any way to do the same for the overlays that you've provided -- Since they are network links, nothing seems to go to cache. I wouldn't think these would be more limited than GE itself.

The google Hybrid overlay could help us greatly since we don't have to zoom in nearly as much to see the major street/hwy names; which means we can cover more area. I am hoping for any solutions, or really any helpful suggestions, on how to have access to this overlay data when we're offline. Could I run this PHP script and have parts of this kml file accessed locally? I don't know if it is possible to have the overlay contain only the Labels, and leave all of the satellite views to GE.

It would seem from the following quote, that I could download from your network link:
Quote:
As with web pages, users who are viewing the content can always save that content to their hard drive, but they can only receive dynamic content via a network link.

Code:
http://earth.google.com/userguide/v5/ug_sharingplacedata.html

Any help with solving this, or providing any new direction (doesn't need to be GE overlays), is greatly appreciated, as I have wrestled with it for a couple of days straight now. Thanks, Caliph
caliph

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if it is possible to have the overlay contain only the Labels, and leave all of the satellite views to GE.

It seems that this is exactly what the Hybrid overlay is. I've been able to do some manual downloading of the .png tiles, and type in the lat/long in GE & this worked very well for creating a flat overlay at a low zoom level (see attached file). This is not a super-overlay (http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/kml_21tutorial.html#superoverlays), so it shows the same from all zoom levels in GoogleEarth.

Obviously doing things by hand, tile by tile, is NOT the way to go for higher zoom levels, and it would be nice to have a dynamic super-overlay like the original network linked one.

gMapMaker works well for automating the downloading process. I just had to tweak it a bit because in Google-Hyb mode it downloads both the Hybrid overlay and the Satelite Image (as it should). But since I just wanted the Hybrid, I went into gMapMaker.exe.config file (backing it up first) and copied the url for the GoogleHybrid to GoogleMaps, and just used the program in GoogleMaps mode, so as to download one thing: the Hybrid overlay.

The problem now is how to reconstruct this MGMapsCache back into a kml file, Because I have a bunch of tiles with no coordinates for placement. It would be great if there was a MGMaps to .KML converter, but I've found no such thing. The x and y values in the file naming convention (ie. 291_389.mgm), combined with the zoom level stated in the name of the containing folder (i.e. GoogleHyb_10) can be used to deduce the coordinates, and I imagine this is how MGMaps knows where to put them. More detail on this x,y,z tile values and how their extracted from the Lat Long can be found here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/scrapbook/googlemap.aspx

I would like to reverse this process and use the xyz values to get the Lat Long. Theoretically not too difficult I imagine, since it's probably a matter of reversing the algorithm in the above link. However with no experience scripting/programming or building kml files, it's a formidable task for me. Any assistance welcomed, and please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Local Google Hybrid.kmz.zip
 Description:
here's the overlay i created by hand at a zoom level of 7 for our trip from MD to GA to TX.

Download
 Filename:  Local Google Hybrid.kmz.zip
 Filesize:  289.39 KB
 Downloaded:  1331 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Web Sites All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: