Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Charge for GPS functionality?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGMaps Newbie
Junior

Phone Type: Samsung SGH-T746 Impact

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Charge for GPS functionality? Reply with quote

Hi, Extreme Newbie Here...

I have a Samsung SGH-T746 Impact, cell phone.

I downloaded to pc & transferred & installed mobile mgmaps to my cell & everything seems to be working perfectly.

My questions are:

1) What will I exactly be getting charged for on my cell bill I.E. Internet Access?, Cell Tower Access?, (don't know if there's extra charge for the gps functionality?)
2) I didn't know my cell had built in GPS functionality but it obviously does as it pinpointed my location perfectly when I turned the gps function on in mgmaps.
3) Will I just be charged for internet access (& would that be a lot?) and will this work anywhere in North America as I thought I could use this for backup if I get lost on vacation?
Da_Bomb
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Charge for GPS functionality? Reply with quote

This is what i know, based on my frequent usage

There are 2 types of GPS available on phones right now,

the A-GPS, which uses internet connection to Assist the location device.
and the normal gps, which uses direct satellite connection.

if ur phone uses the A-GPS, it will cost u money, because an internet connection has to be established, in order to use the gps properly.
that, plus, when u use the get direction service.

for free gps, maybe its available on phones using the symbian OS, because it can support normal GPS usage.

i don't know if this is right, because im just going through my experience of my MGMaps usage. but, i'm very certain about my A-GPS explaination. Smile
Kenny66
Junior

Phone Type: Several

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aGPS uses communication with the nearby cellphone towers to help triangulate your position along with the GPS satellite positioning. I could be wrong but I don't think that part uses Internet connection, but some kind of data transmission for sure.

The bulk of the usage charge from using MGMaps should be coming from downloading the maps on the fly, shouldn't it? Each time you move or zoom in/out it downloads those blocks of map data to display.

If you have an unlimited data plan, then there shouldn't be any additional charges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: