Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Using GPS in Canada
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koala

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Using GPS in Canada Reply with quote

Is it possible to use MGMaps on Telus (CDMA), Bell (CDMA), Rogers or Fido (GSM) with internal GPS?
I would get any phone that I can run this application on. Currently, I have a Telus Samsung A950 and
it has an internal GPS, but there is no way to download any Java application to this phone unless it
comes from Telus' own website. To hack the phone is so complicated that I didn't bother trying.
Will a Bell phone be better?

I just want to use the GPS on my phone without having to pay the operator $10/month, why is it so hard?
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now, I don't think any Canadian providers are supported. Bell definitely isn't. Sad

It's possible to put the application on your phone, but the GPS features won't function.
voiplabs

Phone Type: Nokia 6133

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Works on Rogers Nokia 6133 phone Reply with quote

I am using MGMaps on Rogers Nokia 6133 phone - works great. The phone is connected to external GPS Receiver Qstarz BT-Q818 via bluetooth.
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking more about internal GPS receivers. I don't think it matters what provider you use with an external receiver, since all of the GPS stuff is handled in the unit. With phones, however, you need to access the GPS unit through the provider's firmware.
lotacus
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mgmaps is currently awaiting application approval for development for Bell Mobility. Bell uses a more secure form of location services than Sprint uses, therefore there can be no hacks around accessing their location services because each connection to their location server uses authentication. It's based on Microsoft's map point location server.

There will still be no fee for Mgmaps, however, if the application is approved for development, I am most certain that there will be either a monthly service fee or a pay per use fee, for using the location services. It's a bit of a hit to the application, but it's integrity should still remain intact. I would not mind at all if there was a small fee to access their location services as long as I could use Mgmaps to display the data.
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotacus, are you personally overseeing/contributing to the Bell & mgmaps project?

I wouldn't mind a small fee as long as it's cheaper than the Bell-made program. They want $5 for the program, and then $0.25 per location. Those 25 cents would quickly add up if you attempt any sort of GPS refresh or tracking...

Like I said, if there's any way I can help, let me know. I can't program, but I have a Samsung a920 with Bell (based on the Sprint thread, I know the a920's internal GPS unit works fine), unlimited data (helps when downloading maps Wink), and QPST. I have no problems testing an alpha/beta version, as long as no one intentionally codes a "self-destruct phone" line into it. Smile
chokkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: GPS Smart Canada Reply with quote

Hi we are a Telus dealer and we have developped a tracking application for commercial purposes with the Mike telus system.We use java application jar and jad files that we developped and the internal GPS of the mike units that are the same units as Nextel Iden units.I am shure that you could have Gmaps work on Mike units.Unfortunately we donnot have time to try to implement.If you have the software files we could try it on a i-355 or i-880 Our web site is www.avltrack.com
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: GPS Smart Canada Reply with quote

chokkan wrote:
Hi we are a Telus dealer and we have developped a tracking application for commercial purposes with the Mike telus system.We use java application jar and jad files that we developped and the internal GPS of the mike units that are the same units as Nextel Iden units.I am shure that you could have Gmaps work on Mike units.Unfortunately we donnot have time to try to implement.If you have the software files we could try it on a i-355 or i-880 Our web site is www.avltrack.com

Well, the thing is the GPS does not work currently in MGMaps on Nextel phones. The only version of mgmaps that installs on the Nextel i880 is available at http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha2.html, unfortunately it seems it doesn't work on other nextels due to their bad JVM implementation. This version has the GPS features removed completely, but if you can test it I'll try to enable JSR-179 support -- by-the-way, do you have any information about the GPS API supported by these phones?

Cristian
snuffy47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if there was anymore information on using the GMaps on a Bell M phone?

I just got a Sanyo SCP 7050 and was hoping to use the GPS function.
Spirch
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

work on the telus motorola krzr k1m... the a780 version
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirch wrote:
work on the telus motorola krzr k1m... the a780 version

Wait.... the internal GPS works, or just the map part?
jtang613
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Using GPS in Canada Reply with quote

koala wrote:
Is it possible to use MGMaps on Telus (CDMA), Bell (CDMA), Rogers or Fido (GSM) with internal GPS?
I would get any phone that I can run this application on. Currently, I have a Telus Samsung A950 and
it has an internal GPS, but there is no way to download any Java application to this phone unless it
comes from Telus' own website. To hack the phone is so complicated that I didn't bother trying.
Will a Bell phone be better?

I just want to use the GPS on my phone without having to pay the operator $10/month, why is it so hard?

MGMaps definitely works on Telus LG Chocolates (LG8500 / LG8600) and Moto Razr / Krazr phones. The same is probably true of Rogers and likely Bell as well.

I have a Telus LG8600 Chocolate flip, and MGMaps works with the internal GPS. The only thing that doesn't work (at the moment) is the stored maps. But the Telus Razr / Krazr seem to support stored maps, no problem.

However, Canadian service providers make it difficult to put custom apps on our phones - protecting their revenue streams. Lack of competition is always bad for the consumer. It is possible to load custom / third party apps on most phones, just tricky. HowardForums usually has howtos for most popular phones.
suatito

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Krzr with Telus Reply with quote

I have a krzr with Telus, and I have tried to download the latest version of the java app from wap.mgmaps.com, but I get an Error. How did you download it? Am I being restricted by Telus or experiencing some other problem? Thanks!
jtang613
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Krzr with Telus Reply with quote

suatito wrote:
I have a krzr with Telus, and I have tried to download the latest version of the java app from wap.mgmaps.com, but I get an Error. How did you download it? Am I being restricted by Telus or experiencing some other problem? Thanks!

Telus does not allow wap downloads from anywhere other than Telus. You'll need to download the jad and jar to your PC first, then transfer them to your phone using Bitpim. Refer to the Telus forum at HowardForums for howtos.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1210447
Kakariko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried the A780/K1m version on a Bell Mobility KRZR K1m. The basic mapping functions work, but when I try to use the GPS, I get "The %1 MIDlet thread threw an uncaught exception. Kill the MIDlet?"

Anyone had any luck getting the GPS working on the Bell K1m?
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kakariko wrote:
Anyone had any luck getting the GPS working on the Bell K1m?

I don't think current versions will work with the internal GPS reciever on Bell phones at all. I have a Samsung a920 on Bell, which is a phone that I know works with GPS since there are a few Sprint users who have it, but I get a message saying it could not determine my location. This phone actually has an option to "Always Allow GPS" access in every program's properties, but MGMaps support for Bell just isn't built in.
cheetah33
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i too have the moto krzr k1m from bell and i get the same error, and also when i go into setting and then gps, it says that "GPS functionality is not available on this phone"
gfchapman
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: same problem from Rogers on my ipaq 6955 smartphone Reply with quote

I can't get the gps to work either even though there is an independant gps chip on the device. It works with other gps apps. I suspect it is because gmaps is looking for the datastream from a certain com port and won't allow me to set it. It happens to be com port 7 at 57600 baud on my device.
Anyone know how I can get around this?
Thanks.
George
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: same problem from Rogers on my ipaq 6955 smartphone Reply with quote

gfchapman wrote:
I can't get the gps to work either even though there is an independant gps chip on the device. It works with other gps apps. I suspect it is because gmaps is looking for the datastream from a certain com port and won't allow me to set it. It happens to be com port 7 at 57600 baud on my device.
Anyone know how I can get around this?
Thanks.
George

See the instructions to configure MGMaps on Windows-Mobile devices: http://www.mgmaps.com/winset/
gfchapman
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a JVM on the phone. The midlet runs fine and I get the initial map. However, when I get to step 13 and hit GPS it says:
`GPS functionality is not available on this phone`
any ideas?
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: