Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Using GPS in Canada
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afternoonnap
MGMapper

Phone Type: Sanyo SCP-7050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With awesome help from Cristian Streng, the developer of MGMaps, I've finally been able to download the signed generic version of MGMaps to my Sanyo 7050 on Bell. (I think he's working on changing the download site soon so others who were having the download problem can get the signed version too.)

With the unsigned version on my phone, the network and GPS prompts offer the following choices:
Allow This Time
Never Allow

With the signed version the choices are:
Allow This Time
Always Allow
Allow until Exit
Never Allow

Woohoo! Just what I needed!

Now if only Google and others would similarly sign their mobile applications!
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afternoonnap wrote:
With awesome help from Cristian Streng, the developer of MGMaps, I've finally been able to download the signed generic version of MGMaps to my Sanyo 7050 on Bell. (I think he's working on changing the download site soon so others who were having the download problem can get the signed version too.)

We'll see about that... I'd like to include a fix, but there are reasons to keep the link to mgmaps.jar as relative not absolute - many people want to download the jad and jar to their computers then upload them to the phone and install from the phone. If I make the link absolute this will no longer work.
sheetsofsound
Junior

Phone Type: Samsung m620 on Bell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Get GPS, but no mobile tracking on Samsung m620 Reply with quote

I've been able to install the generic version on my phone using info from various threads. I have an identical situation to a user in a different thread, namely when I power up the app, it pinpoints my position, but mobile tracking doesn't work. I have turned on mobile tracking, I have fiddled with the settings to no avail. In the Debug log I get the following:

ERROR: EX: java.lang.NullPointerException, DESC: Invalid image data, MSG: null
18:41:15.970: ERROR: EX: java.lang.SecurityException, DESC: Error initializing Sprint API, MSG: Application not authorized to access the restricted API

I know my MSL, but instructions for solving this problem (in different threads) using ##3282# don't work because the menus on Bell appear to be different.

Should I be using a different version of the program? The unsigned version asks for an endless series of prompts and returns the same error message in the Debug log.

Anyone on Bell had similar issues or a possible solution?
afternoonnap
MGMapper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I now have no problem downloading the generic, signed jad from wap.mgmaps.com with my Sanyo 7050 on the Bell Mobility network. And with the signed version you have the useful Always Allow and Allow until Exit options when prompted to allow network and GPS access.
umbrau44
Junior

Phone Type: KRZR K1m on MTS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a K1m from MTS (Manitoba Telecom Systems).

I'm pretty sure it is the Bell version, as I found a Bell gif on the phone as I was poking around with BitPim.

Parts of mgmaps seem to work okay. It will download maps properly but it is unable to access the gps. I can't say for sure, but it would likely be the same issue people have on the Bell network, as in, they're just not allowing access to gps functions at the moment. Sad

If there is anything else I can try or test, I would be happy to try it out if it's something simple. I didn't buy the phone for its gps capabilities, so I would rather not do anything crazy like reflash it with some other network's firmware.
sheetsofsound
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Roaming on Bell Reply with quote

Yeah, I am coming to that conclusion, too; namely, that Bell has blocked access. It is frustrating because in another thread someone had the same issue and was able to solve it by changing CERT to 'ON' after entering ##DATA#. On Bell phones the ##DATA# menu doesn't correspond. Also, because I am able to get an initial location, it seems that the phone can access the internal GPS, but only when the program boots.

Afternoonap: You are able to get GPS updates on your sanyo and its a Bell phone?
umbrau44
Junior

Phone Type: KRZR K1m on MTS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I now know all the codes to my phone. I found a menu that had a GPS option and it had entries about an IP address and port number. They were 000.000.000.000 and 0. I have no idea what should go in there.

127.0.0.1 and 80, perhaps?
sheetsofsound
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what might work there, but that makes sense. Try it and see.

I was able to get mobile tracking to work - but it is intermittent; it works about 10% of the time. When I check the GPS settings each time I boot the program, it has occasionally changed Mobile Tracking from 'On' to 'Off', even though I have not altered it. The Error/Debug log says the same thing about not being able to access the restricted Sprint API. Should I use the Sprint version? Any ideas?
afternoonnap
MGMapper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Roaming on Bell Reply with quote

sheetsofsound wrote:
Afternoonap: You are able to get GPS updates on your sanyo and its a Bell phone?

Sorry for the late reply. Mobile tracking does work on my Sanyo 7050 on Bell. It's set to the default update refresh of 3 seconds, but only seems to update once or twice a minute.

BTW, I get the same exception about being unable to initialize the Sprint API. It seems to be harmless. Cristian told me that code isn't called unless the phone says it supports the Sprint API, so I assume an incomplete vestige of Sprint code is on the Bell version.
sheetsofsound
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been checking in here because, sad to say, I have just about given up on this software. I boot the program and about 3/4 of the time, mobile tracking has been mysteriously turned off. I turn it on and I might get 1 update, sometimes 2 - then the program either locks up or just won't update again. Once, for 20 or so heady minutes, everything worked! It really is an awesome program - then it locked up and that was that.

I have reinstalled it 5 or 6 times, I edited the _policy.txt file to allow access to the GPS and location, I have read and reread countless forums.... I am about at the end. If there is anyone who has been able to get this software to run on a Samsung m620 on any Canadian carrier, I'd love to hear about it. I will continue to check in here, but (cue music) this will probably be my last post.... (*sniff*)
dirtyddd
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Sanyo 7050 question Reply with quote

Im with Sasktel mobility which i think is the same as Bell. Sasktel doesnt offer gps service yet but reading here i understand there is a way to install gmaps to the sanyo 7050 and use the internal gps for free? In a bit of detail, how do you get the file to the phone? I downloaded the Generic signed jad file to my computer. Is that the file i need? If so how do i get the file to my phone? Im very new to this and would love some help. Thank you
afternoonnap
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sanyo 7050 question Reply with quote

dirtyddd wrote:
Sasktel doesnt offer gps service yet but reading here i understand there is a way to install gmaps to the sanyo 7050 and use the internal gps for free? In a bit of detail, how do you get the file to the phone?

You need to use the phone's Web browser to go to wap.mgmaps.com. If you're not sure how to do that, read the Web section of the Services chapter in the manual that comes with the phone. In my manual that's on page 119, and the instructions for "Going to a Specific Website" are on the bottom of page 120.
dirtyddd
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. i dont currently have web browesing on my phone. Can it be done through blue tooth or some other way or do i have to do it right from the phone to the web page?
dirtyddd
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i got the browser and downloaded the generic signed file. I have mgmaps running. when i go to the gps option and say where am i, i get a gps error says gps position not yet determined. What now? anything im missing? thank you
afternoonnap
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyddd wrote:
when i go to the gps option and say where am i, i get a gps error says gps position not yet determined. What now? anything im missing? thank you

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you may have to wait several minutes before a location is determined by the phone. Be patient.
dirtyddd
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that have to happen every time you use it or just the first time you might have to wait? Also, once mgmaps is installed, can it be used if i cancel web browsing? I find it extremely slow zooming in, is there a setting im missing. Thanks again for the help
ericmhhui

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Problem with Rogers Motorola Q9h Reply with quote

When I try to use the "Where am I" function from the GPS menu, I keep getting the following error message

GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strength is good, wait for a few seconds then try again.

I am using a Motorola Q9h from Rogers.

Please help.
scousi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheetsofsound wrote:
I havent been checking in here because, sad to say, I have just about given up on this software. I boot the program and about 3/4 of the time, mobile tracking has been mysteriously turned off. I turn it on and I might get 1 update, sometimes 2 - then the program either locks up or just won't update again. Once, for 20 or so heady minutes, everything worked! It really is an awesome program - then it locked up and that was that.

I have reinstalled it 5 or 6 times, I edited the _policy.txt file to allow access to the GPS and location, I have read and reread countless forums.... I am about at the end. If there is anyone who has been able to get this software to run on a Samsung m620 on any Canadian carrier, I'd love to hear about it. I will continue to check in here, but (cue music) this will probably be my last post.... (*sniff*)

I got it working on a Bell Samsung M510.
cwchapma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My samsung m510 on virgin mobile canada sort of works.

It seems to only work sometimes when I first open mgmaps. The compass starts out red, turns green and after about a minute turns red again and never updates again.

I have it setup to refresh every 3 seconds but the only way to get it to update is to exit mgmaps and restart it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clint
mugyver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with Rogers Motorola Q9h Reply with quote

ericmhhui wrote:
When I try to use the "Where am I" function from the GPS menu, I keep getting the following error message

GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strength is good, wait for a few seconds then try again.

I am using a Motorola Q9h from Rogers.

Please help.

Any more info on this? I am in America using the Q9 on at&t and get the very same message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: