Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Using GPS in Canada
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kocoman
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: 172.25.8.100 Bell's PDE IP port for AGPS? Reply with quote

With some novatel PST tools, I try to read the settings, and it output the PDE IP (but it did not have the port)

172.25.8.100 for AGPS. can anyone confirm it somehow for me, I don't know how to check?

thanks
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 172.25.8.100 Bell's PDE IP port for AGPS? Reply with quote

kocoman wrote:
With some novatel PST tools, I try to read the settings, and it output the PDE IP (but it did not have the port)

172.25.8.100 for AGPS. can anyone confirm it somehow for me, I don't know how to check?

thanks

I can send a custom version configured with that IP... but the PDE port is important too, so if you can read it let me know.
kocoman
Junior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 172.25.8.100 Bell's PDE IP port for AGPS? Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
kocoman wrote:

thanks

I can send a custom version configured with that IP... but the PDE port is important too, so if you can read it let me know.

The problem is I got that info from a "NV read" with Novatel PST, but I am not sure if it is, how can I test it? Logon to Bell's Network then ping it ? I only have a Palm 700p (it does not have complete AGPS feature) and Novatel U720 (but the NMEA only returns time, and no lat/long location, maybe because its Bell flashed?) to test on. Can someone with a Bell Mobility AGPS capable (as proven in the US versions) cell phone test it out? thanks
aesnakes
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using GPS in Canada Reply with quote

jtang613 wrote:
koala wrote:
Is it possible to use MGMaps on Telus (CDMA), Bell (CDMA), Rogers or Fido (GSM) with internal GPS?
I would get any phone that I can run this application on. Currently, I have a Telus Samsung A950 and
it has an internal GPS, but there is no way to download any Java application to this phone unless it
comes from Telus' own website. To hack the phone is so complicated that I didn't bother trying.
Will a Bell phone be better?

I just want to use the GPS on my phone without having to pay the operator $10/month, why is it so hard?

MGMaps definitely works on Telus LG Chocolates (LG8500 / LG8600) and Moto Razr / Krazr phones. The same is probably true of Rogers and likely Bell as well.

I have a Telus LG8600 Chocolate flip, and MGMaps works with the internal GPS. The only thing that doesn't work (at the moment) is the stored maps. But the Telus Razr / Krazr seem to support stored maps, no problem.

However, Canadian service providers make it difficult to put custom apps on our phones - protecting their revenue streams. Lack of competition is always bad for the consumer. It is possible to load custom / third party apps on most phones, just tricky. HowardForums usually has howtos for most popular phones.

Has anyone got Stored maps to work on the Telus LG Chocolate 8600 flip? I got everything else working but I cant get the maps stared on my SD card to work. This would be amazing please let me know if anyone has

aesnakes@hotmail.com
aesnakes
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, never mind dont ask me what I did but it works now...........WIERD
sheetsofsound
Junior

Phone Type: Samsung m620 on Bell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Bell Samsung M620 and Bell LG Fusic Reply with quote

I have now tried getting things to work on my Bell Samsung M620 as well as on a Bell LG Fusic.

I have the same problem I have always had with my Samsung - mobile tracking will not work, although I get an initial GPS position when I boot the program.

With the LG Fusic, I can't get an initial GPS position. I have GPS on and set to internal, but the error says the position cannot be determined and to try again later. I have had the phone sitting out in the open for over 30 minutes and still no luck.

The fact that both phones are on Bell but have different problems makes me think the problems have more to do with the phones themselves and not with Bell's firmware. Anyone have any success with these phones?
Rixon
Junior

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Sasktel/Bell Phones Reply with quote

Hi, I am a Sasktel Dealer and installed the app on a Sanyo SCP-7050 and have it working like a charm. I did need to add browsing service from Sasktel for a mere $5.00 a month. So I would assume all Sasktel/Bell phones with internal GPS will work with this app.
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys on Bell doing anything special to get the internal GPS to work?

I have a Samsung a920, but I always get the GPS position not determined error. I'm using the Generic v1.39.14 with the signed Jad file.

It installed without a problem, and when I first opened it up I got a message asking if I would like to allow MGMaps to access the GPS. I set it to "Always Allow" and it went away. All of the other features seem to work, but I can't get a GPS location (not even an initial one). I've tried leaving it on for a while and all that, but it never works.

Also, from what I've read, the Samsung a920's GPS works fine on Sprint, so I'm pretty sure the phone itself is compatible... Shocked
lotacus
Power User

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at this problem for a year or so now, conversing back and forth privately w/ cristian. I first encountered the problem with the a900 and I read people were using it successfully on sprint w/ the a920, so I went out and bought the a920 just because of that, and still had the problem. I had my 2 phones through aliant, which is the Newfounland Bell. The only conclusion we came up w/ is that the GPS fucntionality is locked down by the provider, needing a certificate of some sort in order to access the information.

It really ticks me off. We pay for these phones, we own the hardware. Low level GPS functions should be made available to us.
Rixon
Junior

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lotacus wrote:
I've been at this problem for a year or so now, conversing back and forth privately w/ cristian. I first encountered the problem with the a900 and I read people were using it successfully on sprint w/ the a920, so I went out and bought the a920 just because of that, and still had the problem. I had my 2 phones through aliant, which is the Newfounland Bell. The only conclusion we came up w/ is that the GPS fucntionality is locked down by the provider, needing a certificate of some sort in order to access the information.

It really ticks me off. We pay for these phones, we own the hardware. Low level GPS functions should be made available to us.

Sorry to say this but, the a900 and the a920 do not have a internal GPS. The way Sprint is doing it is through triangulation throught the cell phone towers. The GPS location setting is not a internal GPS. Sprint has the service available for their customers. Bell, Sasktel, MTS and Aliant have a more secure system for the location service and so far only allow 911 access to the location system.
truegodfather

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the LG Vantage with MTS (Manitoba Telecom System) I know that the phone has a internal GPS but the app is not installed. I installed mgmaps without any issues. but when I select where am I? I receive an error:

GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strength is good, wait for a few minutes then try again but I receive the same error.

I know that the LG Vantage from Bell has the GPS installed and running on their phones I am wondering what I can do to get it working?
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truegodfather wrote:
I have the LG Vantage with MTS (Manitoba Telecom System) I know that the phone has a internal GPS but the app is not installed. I installed mgmaps without any issues. but when I select where am I? I receive an error:

GPS position not yet determined. Make sure the phone can receive/determine GPS information and the satellite signal strength is good, wait for a few minutes then try again but I receive the same error.

I know that the LG Vantage from Bell has the GPS installed and running on their phones I am wondering what I can do to get it working?

Uh oh... I was thinking about getting an LG Vantage myself, but that doesn't bode well...

Have you tried letting the phone sit outside with a clear view of the sky for 10 minutes or so, then trying? Perhaps it needs some time to get a fix.
kocoman
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telus.nimlbs.com, has anyone tried this Kidfind server?
kocoman
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Telus PDE server 216.198.139.92 PDE Port Number = 8889

search google for more info
Stoon
Junior

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently bought a razr2 v9m on the Sasktel network(Bell) and am trying to get a GPS navigation program to work on it. I have browsing enabled and went directly to the wap.mgmaps.com and it started the download procedure. Part way thru I received the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

any suggestions as to how I can fix whatever is causing this error?

Thanx in advance
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoon wrote:
recently bought a razr2 v9m on the Sasktel network(Bell) and am trying to get a GPS navigation program to work on it. I have browsing enabled and went directly to the wap.mgmaps.com and it started the download procedure. Part way thru I received the error:

java.lang.NullPointerException

any suggestions as to how I can fix whatever is causing this error?

Thanx in advance

Did that happen during the installation? Or after starting the application? Which version did you install (signed? unsigned?)
Stoon
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the very first link available: Generic Full Release version 1.39.17 I think it's called. and I get the error during the compiling portion of the install. I also tried the signed jad version and the unsigned jad version with the same error at the same point in the install. I am trying to install on a Razr2 v9m on the Sasktel network, which is using the Bell firmware I believe. I am also led to believe that this phone is CDMA, will that cause issues?

Thanx
Stoon
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian. Any new info on the Razr2 V9m on the Bell network in Saskatchewan? I have downloaded and tried every version on the website including the stable 1.3x, beta 1.40, and old stable 1.28 using all the different .jad files, signed, unsigned, generic. I did this using my home pc and a serial cable and instead of getting the Null error the whole process freezes during the compiling stage and doesn't proceed past that point.
poperrap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading thought this sticky and there was some question to if Bell lets the customer use the GPS function or not. I do not work for the company but a coworker of mine here in the maritimes has a Bell HTC touch and he was able to get Gmaps to work on his device. I saw it and it was almost right on the spot that we were standing. We were under an overhang as it was raining that day but it was good. I have the M800 and I have been trying to get Gmaps to work. I got to the T&C's but I can't proceed beyond that. Hope that clears that up or maybe i just though gas on the fire. My phone has a GPS but it is $3.99 a day or $8 a month, so I live without it for now. Any one know if the M800 and Gmaps will work?
cmregado
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poperrap wrote:
I was reading thought this sticky and there was some question to if Bell lets the customer use the GPS function or not. I do not work for the company but a coworker of mine here in the maritimes has a Bell HTC touch and he was able to get Gmaps to work on his device. I saw it and it was almost right on the spot that we were standing. We were under an overhang as it was raining that day but it was good. I have the M800 and I have been trying to get Gmaps to work. I got to the T&C's but I can't proceed beyond that. Hope that clears that up or maybe i just though gas on the fire. My phone has a GPS but it is $3.99 a day or $8 a month, so I live without it for now. Any one know if the M800 and Gmaps will work?

The HTC Touch has a standalone GPS unit inside, which Bell lets us use. Unfortunately, most phones don't have a standalone unit and have to use aGPS, which is location through cell towers. This is what Bell has locked down.

Notice even on the HTC touch that in the regular Google Maps, your location is shown by only a pin, rather than a pin with a blue circle around it. That absent blue circle is what Google Maps uses to indicate your tower-determined location. Again, we don't have that because of Bell's lockdowns.

Unfortunately it seems that if we want GPS on Bell, we need to limit our phone choices to the few that have a standalone GPS unit in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> GPS Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: