Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Stored Maps
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Stored Maps Reply with quote

Hi guys,

MGMaps versions 1.35.00 and above support stored maps. Here are the steps to make it work:
  1. Prerequisite: your phone must support the JSR-75 FileConnection API for J2ME. Most of the current Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, Siemens, Motorola phones should support it.
  2. Download and install the signed version of the application over-the-air from http://wap.mgmaps.com. If you don't install the signed version, the application will ask for confirmation before displaying each map tile. YOU MUST INSTALL FROM THE JAD FILE BECAUSE THE SIGNATURE IS IN THE JAD.
  3. Download the maps for your desired area using the MapTileCacher perl script (together with MapTileFE) or gMapMaker. The instructions below are for the perl script download (see this thread for more info about gMapMaker).
  4. The perl script has some configuration options that may improve filesystem usage or mgmaps performance with stored maps. The tiles per file option allows you to group several map tiles in each file. This reduces the space used on the memory card a lot, but may slow down the application, in addition it is not yet supported by gMapMaker. The hash size option (used only when tiles per file=1) allows maps to be distributed into multiple folders to reduce the number of files within each folder -- this may improve mgmaps speed but creates a lot more folders on your memory card.
  5. When the download is ready, you'll find all the map tiles in the selected MGMapsCache folder.Upload the maps to your memory card, or copy them to the phone over bluetooth. You should upload the entire folder structure (MGMapsCache folder with all its subfolders) without any change.
  6. Start MGMaps, go to Settings/Map Browsing, enable "Stored Maps", enter the path to your maps in "Storage Path" (see below). If you also enable "Offline mode", the phone will use the internet connection only for searches or GPS tracking, and never for retrieving any map tiles.
  7. Save settings, exit MGMaps (you need to restart mgmaps for the changes to take effect)
  8. Before starting mgmaps again, you need to change the preferences in order to allow mgmaps to access the filesystem. Even if the application is signed, the default preferences are still to ask for every file access at least on Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phones. For Nokia S60 3rd Edition, go to the Application Manager, select Mobile GMaps in the list, choose "Open" (S60 3.1) or "Suite Settings" (S60 3.0) in the menu, then change the settings for "read user data" to "ask first time" or "always allow". (write permissions should no longer be needed)
  9. If you have enabled both stored maps and offline mode, the map will be moved automatically to the area you downloaded. If offline mode is disabled you will need to move the map manually to view the stored maps, otherwise it will continue to load the maps online. In MGMaps use Menu->Go To and enter the coordinates, zoom level and map type for the area downloaded.
Some notes:
  • As a signed application, you must install it from the JAD file that contains the signature and not directly from the JAR. Also, once you have installed the signed version, you will not be able to upgrade to an unsigned version — you will need to uninstall mgmaps then reinstall the unsigned version, thus losing any saved settings.
  • You can select the path for the map tile cache folder using "Browse" in the menu options for Settings/Map Browsing. If you copy the MGMapsCache folder with all the included map tiles to the root of your memory card, the default path ( E:/MGMapsCache ) should work on most Nokia and Sony-Ericsson phones. If you copy the folder to your phone memory, the path starts with C: and uses / as path separator (tested: I uploaded the map using Bluetooth OBEX to the phone memory of a sony-ericsson phone, in the "Other" folder; the path is specified in MGMaps as C:/Other/MGMapsCache ). The path for the card on Windows-Mobile devices is usually "/Storage Card" (without the quotes but with the space between Storage and Card). The path for the card on Motorola A1200 is "SD" (without the quotes) or the volume label of the card. The path is case-sensitive.
  • To determine the zoom and the coords of the top-left and bottom-right corner to download (if you don't use the MapTileFE script), you can use this trick: center the map in Google Maps on your top-left corner, the click on "link to this page". The link in your browser will change, you'll need to extract the values of the parameters "&z=..." representing the zoom level and "&ll=..." that gives the latitude and longitude in the format accepted by the map tile downloader. Then do the same for the bottom-right corner. Alternatively, you can center the map on the corners in MGMaps and choose "Go To" in the menu to view the coords.
  • WARNING: Downloading several satellite map tiles may get you banned from Google Maps (satellite tiles only) for a day. I have tried it several times from different IPs, it seems that after downloading 400-500 satellite tiles google's protection system kicks in, they detect the download is automated and they ban the IP for some time (a day I hope). I'm currently investigating some workarounds, but the point is: don't abuse the system, at least not for now.
  • Map tiles may use significant space on your memory card. If you have a memory card of 512MB or larger, it should formatted using FAT32 and not FAT(16) to reduce the amount of space "lost" due to allocation.

Download related scripts or programs from http://www.mgmaps.com/cache. For more information see http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=725

Cristian Streng
http://www.mgmaps.com

Last edited by Cristian Streng on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:27 am; edited 40 times in total
derin
MGMapper

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Magnific news Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.

When someone really needs a gps it is generally far from civilisation. (means there is no phone coverage and stored maps could help a lot) So I was urgently waiting for this version. Very glad to see it in beta.

However I had some issues with the script. I installed active Perl. I had to change then ".Perl" suffix of the script with ".pl" in order to make it work. (My system is XP S2) It seems to work. For test purposes (GoogleMap) I use a zoom level 1 and coordinates like 38.000000, 38.000000 and 39.000000, 39.000000. This must be one tile... However I have no clue where it goes the output. In any case I did not manage to find a recent file in my system via search. In which location the output is supposed to be stored? Or the problem is it changing suffixes? or any other mishap?. Any hint for a modest owner of P990i? Smile

I would like to mention also MSR Mapcruncher. It generates tiles from the user maps once calibrated through active earth. Rasterised maps or any other custom maps are accepted it seems. And with a bulk renaming utility why not rename them in correct format? Would it not be helpful for the profane? I did not test it yet... Other forums discuss this strategy. And They even mention a little hack ( a patch for the phone) who disables the java access authorization routine... I just wanted to have your opinion.
ericksoares
Junior

Phone Type: Motorola A1200

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT !!!

I will start testing soon...

after getting this offline version running in my Motorola A1200 I need to find out how to have Bluetooth gps running.

Good sign!
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Magnific news Reply with quote

derin wrote:
However I had some issues with the script. I installed active Perl. I had to change then ".Perl" suffix of the script with ".pl" in order to make it work. (My system is XP S2) It seems to work. For test purposes (GoogleMap) I use a zoom level 1 and coordinates like 38.000000, 38.000000 and 39.000000, 39.000000. This must be one tile... However I have no clue where it goes the output. In any case I did not manage to find a recent file in my system via search. In which location the output is supposed to be stored? Or the problem is it changing suffixes? or any other mishap?. Any hint for a modest owner of P990i? Smile

A windows version is under development, as mentioned on previous threads. The current script creates a folder named "MGMapsCacheV1" in the current directory and puts inside all the downloaded tiles.

derin wrote:
I would like to mention also MSR Mapcruncher. It generates tiles from the user maps once calibrated through active earth. Rasterised maps or any other custom maps are accepted it seems. And with a bulk renaming utility why not rename them in correct format? Would it not be helpful for the profane? I did not test it yet... Other forums discuss this strategy. And They even mention a little hack ( a patch for the phone) who disables the java access authorization routine... I just wanted to have your opinion.

Microsoft Mapcruncher sounds like an interesting idea. My first question would be... how do you use it to download other maps (ie. Google)?

Cristian
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,
thanks for the quick turnaround for the offline maps. I downloaded the mgmaps-signed application and installed it on the phone.

I used the script to download some tiles @ zoom level 13 for Bangalore, India.

To get this to work, I had to make some changes to the script. I am running on Windows under cygwin

* For my version of wget, --no-verbose changed to --non-verbose
* Also, the -O tempTile needed to be before the URL being retrieved

Maybe, these changes are because I have an older wget ...

After this I copied the MGMapsCacheV1 to E: root on my memory stick.
Changed Application Mgr Setting as mentioned.
Changed MGMaps settings : Selected Stored Maps. Path is at "E:"
Restarted MGMaps

But I can't see any initial prompt for read user data (I set it to "Ask first time") and I cannot see any map - I changed the zoom level to "13" for which I downloaded the map tiles ...

What could I be doing wrong ? Or any other info to try out ? Is there some debug message that I should look at ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Hi Cristian,
thanks for the quick turnaround for the offline maps. I downloaded the mgmaps-signed application and installed it on the phone.

To get this to work, I had to make some changes to the script. I am running on Windows under cygwin

Restarted MGMaps

But I can't see any initial prompt for read user data (I set it to "Ask first time") and I cannot see any map - I changed the zoom level to "13" for which I downloaded the map tiles ...

What could I be doing wrong ? Or any other info to try out ? Is there some debug message that I should look at ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh

Thanks for helping to test this. You're doing it right from what I can say... try pressing "0" to switch map type - maybe the correct map type is not selected. If it still doesn't work, please zip the downloaded tiles and send them to me (by PM or by email) so that I can have a look.

Regards,
Cristian
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Magnific news Reply with quote

CristianStreng wrote:
derin wrote:

Microsoft Mapcruncher sounds like an interesting idea. My first question would be... how do you use it to download other maps (ie. Google)?

Cristian

I am not sure how, but this was also discussed in the link I posted the other day about use of offline maps debated on J2MeMaps forum ... When I had gone to the website, there seems a big tutorial on how to use it (but I did not get around to reading it...)

Ritesh
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Magnific news Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
CristianStreng wrote:
derin wrote:

Cristian

I am not sure how, but this was also discussed in the link I posted the other day ... When I had gone to the website, there seems a big tutorial on how to use it (but I did not get around to reading it...)

Ritesh

That's true, it sounds even more complicated than using this perl script. I know MapCruncher allows users to align custom maps with the MSN virtualearth tiles, but I don't know whether it allows the download of google map tiles.

Cristian
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
n95_rit wrote:
Hi Cristian,

Restarted MGMaps

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh

Thanks for helping to test this. You're doing it right from what I can say... try pressing "0" to switch map type - maybe the correct map type is not selected. If it still doesn't work, please zip the downloaded tiles and send them to me (by PM or by email) so that I can have a look.

Regards,
Cristian

You are welcome Smile I tried "0" to toggle but this does not help (I have only Google Maps, Google Earth and Google Hybrid on as per default).
What might help is to have some indication when reading from file, that it is doing so (for current testing) ... I'll send you pm with my tiles.
Is there some specific steps to be done once I enter MGMaps ? I assumed that MGmaps Zoom Level = Google Maps Zoom Leve (though I also tried other zoom levels)

Regards,
Ritesh
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stored Maps Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Download and install the application from http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha-signed.html (jad file is at http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-alpha-signed.jad)

Both links point to the .jad. Where did the others get the jar from?
*confused*
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for me! Here's what I did:
  • I uncompressed the zip you sent and uploaded the map tiles to my phone.
  • I configured MGMaps and also checked "Offline Mode" - this way no map tiles will be retrieved from the web, so I know exactly which map tiles are retrieved from where.
  • I started MGMaps and searched for "Bangalore, India". The search worked and the map was loaded from the memory card (the default zoom level for searches was exactly 13, the zoom level you used for your map tiles).

Cristian
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Stored Maps Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:
Download and install the application from http://wap.mgmaps.com/alpha-signed.html (jad file is at http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-alpha-signed.jad)

*confused*

I did not include the link to the jar because you really need to install the application from the jad file. But then I realized you may want to upload both files to the phone and then install directly... the jar is at http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-alpha-signed.jar.

Cristian
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stored Maps Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

*confused*

Yes both the links point to the jad. So, just changed the ".jad" in the URL to ".jar" and you get the jar file Smile Worked for me...

Rgards,
Ritesh
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
It worked for me! Here's what I did:
  • I uncompressed the zip you sent and uploaded the map tiles to my phone.
  • I configured MGMaps and also checked "Offline Mode" - this way no map tiles will be retrieved from the web, so I know exactly which map tiles are retrieved from where.
  • I started MGMaps and searched for "Bangalore, India". The search worked and the map was loaded from the memory card (the default zoom level for searches was exactly 13, the zoom level you used for your map tiles).

Cristian

I had tried "offline" mode also. No map loads if I do this Sad Somehow, the application does not know the map tiles exist, is what I am guessing ...
Also, I had tried the search as well (apart from using my last GPS position)

Cristian Streng wrote:

I did not include the link to the jar because you really need to install the application from the jad file. But then I realized you may want to upload both files to the phone and then install directly... the jar is at http://wap.mgmaps.com/mgmaps-alpha-signed.jar.
Cristian

Well, I had downloaded both jar and jad files, and then used the Nokia PC suite to install onto my N95. The PC suite only show jar files - i assumed that it would pass the jad along by default, wondering if this could be a problem ?

Regards,
Ritesh
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Cristian Streng wrote:

Cristian

Well, I had downloaded both jar and jad files, and then used the Nokia PC suite to install onto my N95. The PC suite only show jar files - i assumed that it would pass the jad along by default, wondering if this could be a problem ?

Regards,
Ritesh

I think this is the problem. You must install the application from the jad file for the signature to work. You can do that either by opening the jad in the mobile browser or by transfering both the jad and jar files to the phone (simply copy the files without any changes; I transferred the files using Bluetooth/OBEX) then open the jad file on with the file manager on the phone.

Cristian
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my SEk750i you can simply use the data cable and your file manager of choice (eg. TotalCmd) to upload files to any folder... On this phone, you have to put the .jar and .jad to Media Files\Other.
The Other folder is directly accessible from the phone menu and you can simply click on the jad and it installs the jar.
I'm guessing your phone works the same way, i.e. there is an "other" folder somewhere that you can use for non-wap jad install. Hope this helps.

Edit: Status report.
With some difficulty I got the perl cacher working, cached Budapest at zoom level 15. Installed everything on the phone and it works like a charm. (At first it didn't save the offline map settings... Dunno why but it went fine the second time.) Panning is slow but not disastrous. I'll play around with zoom levels and stuff like that.

Just a FYI: The map ended up being 8MB this way. It's actually too large sized so I guess about 5-10MB will cover a large city of well (say, zoom levels 13, 10, 8, 5 or something like that.
Edit: I'm not sure what level you can get away with while keeping the street names readable. 14, perhaps? Either way, a full detailed map of a big city with several zoom levels will be under 20MB
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lofarkas wrote:
Just a FYI: The map ended up being 8MB this way. It's actually too large sized so I guess about 5-10MB will cover a large city of well (say, zoom levels 13, 10, 8, 5 or something like that.
Edit: I'm not sure what level you can get away with while keeping the street names readable. 14, perhaps? Either way, a full detailed map of a big city with several zoom levels will be under 20MB

Well, each zoom level is 4 times as large as the previous... so it only matters the most zoomed-in level you have. A detailed map at zoom up to 15 for a city would be under 20MB, double that size if you also want satellite imagery (assuming you can avoid the "ban" from Google if downloading too many satellite tiles Smile ). One cool feature for the download script would be to allow to download all tiles for the selected area, from zoom 0 to the zoom level entered. This way you could easily zoom in and out for that area at any time.
n95_rit
Power User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:

I think this is the problem. You must install the application from the jad file for the signature to work. You can do that either by opening the jad in the mobile browser or by transfering both the jad and jar files to the phone (simply copy the files without any changes; I transferred the files using Bluetooth/OBEX) then open the jad file on with the file manager on the phone.

Cristian

Hi Cristian,
thanks for the tip. I uninstalled and re-installed using the jad file using the phone's File Manager. App Manager shows it is a third party trusted app with the certificate details. So, I guess this is done properly this time around...
However, I still don't see the maps. At this point, I am thinking that the path to the Map tiles is the problem ? I have left it at "E:" (also tried E:\) - The reason is that I never get the first time prompt (allow to access the file) which I should get with the App. Manager settings ?

Regards,
Ritesh
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n95_rit wrote:
Hi Cristian,
thanks for the tip. I uninstalled and re-installed using the jad file using the phone's File Manager. App Manager shows it is a third party trusted app with the certificate details. So, I guess this is done properly this time around...

Yes, it should be ok.

n95_rit wrote:
However, I still don't see the maps. At this point, I am thinking that the path to the Map tiles is the problem ? I have left it at "E:" (also tried E:\) - The reason is that I never get the first time prompt (allow to access the file) which I should get with the App. Manager settings ?

You're using a Nokia N95 right? Use the same path that you see with the file manager. The memory card is usually named E: and the phone memory is C: . If you have put the files in E: (MGMapsCacheV1 folder and subfolders) use simply "E:" for the path.

Cristian
@lice
Power User

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cristian,
Good to see that signing/file accesing things are solved.
As I'll test downloading the tiles etc little later my current question is- except offline browsing and certificating is the apllication still the same in other meanings? Can it be used the same as before or there can be some new bugs in "old-fashioned" operations too? I'm asking because as you said after installing this signed app there will be no way to switch back to some of the previous unsigned versions (which works very stable and fine now). I've big dilemma now Smile - want to use new features but afraid to lose settings/history/favorites...
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 1 of 38

Jump to: