Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
@lice
Power User

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card Reply with quote

I think it's time to exchange our experience in using MGMaps with stored map tiles.
As for the beginning I can suggest the following:

after saving app. 15000 tiles in my memory cards root directory, opening of the miniSD card for browsing its' gallery became significantly slower (app. 5 sec). After setting the tile folders' MGMapsCacheV1 attribute to 'hidden' (by means of PC) this problem disappears and card opens quickly as before.
MGmaps still "sees" tiles without any problems.

If you know something what would improve usage of this excellent application and is not described anywhere else in this forum- share it!

b8two
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia E51, 6288, 6230i, 6230, Sony Ericsson K770i

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Keep every avaliable space on your memory Card you can Format the memory Card to FAT32 in "Computer Management/Disk Management" for XP and specify the Cluster Size to 512Bytes (Instead of the Default (4Kb) 4186Bytes)

Be Sure to Backup your memory Card before you do the format or you will loose everything.

An Example of MGMapsCache space Saving with 44,500 Files;
87.9 MB (92,265,737 bytes) is Actual size
99.7 MB (104,608,768 bytes) with 512 byte Clusters
197 MB (207,306,752 bytes) with 4Kb Clusters (FAT32 Default)
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

Phone Type: Sony Ericsson K750i; Nokia 6120 classic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sony ERicsson K750i and a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. AFAIK, 2GB is the maximum size accepted by this phone, but I might be wrong. I've just reformatted it to FAT32.

Without MGMaps cache, my card has 894 files, occupying 1710MB. When I insert the card, the phone stays frozen for about 30s reading the card.

With MGMaps cache, the number of files increased by 3430 (total = 4324 files) and the size increase by just 31MB.
When I inserted the card, the phone took about 1min30s to read it! So, I had to wait one minute and a half just to phone "unfreeze".

The same "wait" occurs when I turn on the phone with Memory Stick inside, which is very annoying.

I've tried to use MobyExplorer midlet to mark MGMapsCache folder as hidden, but it said the underlying filesystem did not support it. Well, I don't have Windows, so I can't try to mark that folder as hidden.

Does anyone have any idea about how to solve it?
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
I have Sony ERicsson K750i and a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. AFAIK, 2GB is the maximum size accepted by this phone, but I might be wrong. I've just reformatted it to FAT32.

Without MGMaps cache, my card has 894 files, occupying 1710MB. When I insert the card, the phone stays frozen for about 30s reading the card.

With MGMaps cache, the number of files increased by 3430 (total = 4324 files) and the size increase by just 31MB.
When I inserted the card, the phone took about 1min30s to read it! So, I had to wait one minute and a half just to phone "unfreeze".

The same "wait" occurs when I turn on the phone with Memory Stick inside, which is very annoying.

I've tried to use MobyExplorer midlet to mark MGMapsCache folder as hidden, but it said the underlying filesystem did not support it. Well, I don't have Windows, so I can't try to mark that folder as hidden.

I would suggest a firmware upgrade... do you have the latest firmware for your phone?
mwice
Power User

Phone Type: nokia n95-8Gb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:

and how it was with FAT16 ? where you formated it to FAT32 ? with which cluster size ?

CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
I would suggest a firmware upgrade... do you have the latest firmware for your phone?

One version behind the latest. But I don't think it has been fixed. Also, I read somewhere that new firmware has an even lower music volume. My firmware is R1CA021.

mwice wrote:
and how it was with FAT16 ? where you formated it to FAT32 ? with which cluster size ?

The freezing time was also present when it had FAT16 (or FAT with 32K cluster). At that time (yesterday Smile ), I didn't have so many files in my MGMaps cache, so the slowdown was not so big. Now it has FAT32 with 4K cluster (the default one, and exactly the same block size of my ext3 Linux partition).
mwice
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
The freezing time was also present when it had FAT16 (or FAT with 32K cluster). At that time (yesterday Smile ), I didn't have so many files in my MGMaps cache, so the slowdown was not so big. Now it has FAT32 with 4K cluster (the default one, and exactly the same block size of my ext3 Linux partition).

"so many" .. atm i have 105.000 files on my card. 99% in hidden dirs.

as linux user to linux user... i used vmware to hide folders Embarassed
it seems there is no linux tool to change vfat attr Rolling Eyes

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwice wrote:

Doesn't mtools work with vfat anymore? (I haven't used for a few years...)
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
mwice wrote:

Doesn't mtools work with vfat anymore? (I haven't used for a few years...)

Code:
$ su -
# umount /media/usbdisk/
# echo 'drive u: file="/dev/sda1"' > ~/.mtoolsrc
# mattrib +h u:/MGMapsCache

Still, got to wait a minute and a half.

EDIT: MobyExplorer does not show it as hidden, even though "mdir u:" understood it was hidden. I guess my phone does not support Hidden attribute (but does support read-only). So... Any other idea?

EDIT: BTW, mwice, what is your phone?
mwice
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:

EDIT: BTW, mwice, what is your phone?

its in signature, m8 Very Happy

CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my MGMaps cache has 7378 files, 53.4M. The phone took about 2min15s frozen. Why on earth it must read ALL files? Why??? It's internal file manager can only read files from specific directory. Oh, these times an open-source firmware would be great.

Cristian, I think we now have a good reason to group files together. Smile Maybe you could make MGMaps support both formats, so if grouped format is slower for someone, he can choose the separate format.

(but if my phone does not support seek correctly... well, I'm screwed. Smile )
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
CrazyTerabyte wrote:

And to make mgmaps folder hidden if its anything similar like N95's behavior. You can scan earlier in this thread and others in Stored Maps section ...
HaVaNa7
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card Reply with quote

@lice wrote:
After setting the tile folders' MGMapsCacheV1 attribute to 'hidden' (by means of PC) this problem disappears and card opens quickly as before.

i did this but my gallery sees again all maps... why??
@lice
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card Reply with quote

HaVaNa7 wrote:
@lice wrote:
After setting the tile folders' MGMapsCacheV1 attribute to 'hidden' (by means of PC) this problem disappears and card opens quickly as before.

I don't know because I've no idea what phone you have. I can only confirm that on Nokia6288 (which is S40 so presumably other S40 will behave the same) after hiding the root folder (I didn't hide the subfolders or files) phone gallery ignores its presence so loading time is the same fast as before. When opening gallery it pre-reads only one level deep, so, entering gallery it took some 5 extra secs to load (while phone reads all directories GoogleSat_** etc) but if you open MGmapscacheV1 folder- it takes ages to load as then phone starts to pre-read all those numbered directories...

lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was wondering why my phone slowed down so much (After disconnecting from the PC I have a wait a more than a minute...)

It's the same issue as CrazyTerabyte's. SE D750i, 2 GB FAT32 memcard with about 50MB of maps...
Do let me know if you find a solution please.
Otherwise, the phone works fine and I never really switch it off so it's not a big deal.
n95_rit
Power User

Phone Type: Nokia N95-1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card Reply with quote

@lice wrote:
HaVaNa7 wrote:
@lice wrote:

I don't know because I've no idea what phone you have. I can only confirm that on Nokia6288 (which is S40 so presumably other S40 will behave the same) after hiding the root folder (I didn't hide the subfolders or files) phone gallery ignores its presence so loading time is the same fast as before. When opening gallery it pre-reads only one level deep, so, entering gallery it took some 5 extra secs to load (while phone reads all directories GoogleSat_** etc) but if you open MGmapscacheV1 folder- it takes ages to load as then phone starts to pre-read all those numbered directories...

This is because gallery already knows where you files are and has opened them/created 3 sized thumbnail views for them. To rectify this situation, I had posted earlier in one of the threads. Rename you MGMapsCacheV1 folder to something new - keep it hidden. Start Gallery, it will try to locate all the images it knew about and fail to find the path for the hundreds/thousands of tiles you have. After this, Gallery will prune its list to non-tile images Smile Rename the folder back to its original name ! Your problem is solved. This is exactly what I had done when I had the Gallery and FAT32 indexing issues !
Regards,
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
I have Sony ERicsson K750i and a 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. AFAIK, 2GB is the maximum size accepted by this phone, but I might be wrong. I've just reformatted it to FAT32 (4K cluster).

Now I've downloaded even more tiles to my memory card. It now has 15195 files occupying 155.4MB (actually 202MB). The phone is frozen for 50 minutes now and I still cannot use it! I've now just removed the Memory Stick, and the phone is still frozen. Tired of waiting, I'm now removing the battery. I think I will also reformat the memory stick, just to make sure it does not have logical errors.

Definitely, current solution for caching does not scale well.

EDIT: Looks like this wait used about 33% of my battery.
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
Definitely, current solution for caching does not scale well.

Definitely, on Sony-Ericsson phones Smile
lofarkas
Power User

Phone Type: HTC Desire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty radical.
I'm inclined to think there was something else involved there...
Your phone has 3 times as much map data on it as mine, so that doesn't explain a 50-100 times greater reading time.
If I happen to upload more maps I'll report back.
@lice
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one tip:
for those users who sits behind proxy servers like I do and to download first 10000 tiles I was forced to use dial-up internet connection Embarassed - took ages... Then I got tired of this and decided to do some googling to find the way how to bypass proxy.
So, wget (which downloads tiles) has built-in possibility to work through http proxy servers, all what you need is- set this proxy server adress in Windows environment variables. For this reason I wrote a short batch file with 2 commands- 1)set proxy address and 2)launch excellent tool MaptileFE script. For my particular case .bat file looks like this (I have Win98):
set http_proxy=http://127.0.0.1:5865
f:\perl\bin\perl MapTileFE.pl

Done! Now my tile collecting speed is much better Smile
I believe that many of you who are familiar with wget program already knew about this option but for me as I just started to use it it was nice discovery.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: