Mobile GMaps Home Page
 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tips & tricks using map tiles in memory card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eriamel
Junior

Phone Type: Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magua wrote:
So it shouldn't be too unbearable if you rarely restart the phone and leave the memory card in there?

LOL ...depends on your definition of unbearable Wink ..if you use different cards, or you like to sink data a lot like i do its a drag Smile

CrazyTerabyte
Power User

Phone Type: Sony Ericsson K750i; Nokia 6120 classic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
b8two wrote:
Now I'm using FAT32 with 2K clusters (Default was FAT with 32K clusters). Also I noticed that Every PNG that is 110 bytes is a single colour tile without detail. Deleting these should cause you no issue with map browsing. (GoogleMap tiles example)

That's right, I am thinking about creating a script to remove all these files. It would be great to store the white tile only once and list all the other identical tiles in the configuration file but I don't know if that would work considering performance issues.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, try this:
http://netdial.caribe.net/~adrian2/fdupes.html

eriamel wrote:
Magua wrote:
So it shouldn't be too unbearable if you rarely restart the phone and leave the memory card in there?

LOL ...depends on your definition of unbearable Wink ..if you use different cards, or you like to sink data a lot like i do its a drag Smile

As a "workaround" (and as I said in another post), I avoid swapping my memory cards and I avoid rebooting the phone. I also prefer to charge the battery using AC charger, instead of USB cable. When I need to transfer small things, I use bluetooth (and obexfs and fuse). When I need to transfer a lot of things, well, it will take time anyway and then I remove the card and use a MS reader.

Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian, i was just wondering... Isnt it possible to simply store all the tiles on a ZIP file and then copy only that file to the phone? Of course, the application will need to be modified to be able to read the tiles inside the ZIP file... I dont know how complex can this be to implement, but it sounds pretty neat.
Using a ZIP will solve all the storage, gallery, slow-downs that everyone is reporting when using too much tiles.
Cristian Streng
Founder

Phone Type: (many)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonsbane wrote:
Cristian, i was just wondering... Isnt it possible to simply store all the tiles on a ZIP file and then copy only that file to the phone? Of course, the application will need to be modified to be able to read the tiles inside the ZIP file... I dont know how complex can this be to implement, but it sounds pretty neat.
Using a ZIP will solve all the storage, gallery, slow-downs that everyone is reporting when using too much tiles.

That's been discussed before... it is possible, but access to big files is slow in J2ME because it can only be done sequentially.

Cristian
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Maybe the only "easy" solution is to store all tiles inside the .JAR file itself. This will work, but some phones have a limit on how big the .JAR file can be. Some phones also don't allow Java Apps to be installed on memory card, only on phone's built-in memory. And this solution will be less flexible, because you will need to reinstall the app every time you download more tiles (and regenerate the .JAD certificate if you plan to access the memory card).
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
Well... Maybe the only "easy" solution is to store all tiles inside the .JAR file itself. This will work, but some phones have a limit on how big the .JAR file can be. Some phones also don't allow Java Apps to be installed on memory card, only on phone's built-in memory. And this solution will be less flexible, because you will need to reinstall the app every time you download more tiles (and regenerate the .JAD certificate if you plan to access the memory card).

Exactly... that's why the best solution (so far) is to store maps on the memory card, each tile in a separate file.
Dragonsbane

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Exactly... that's why the best solution (so far) is to store maps on the memory card, each tile in a separate file.

I was pretty sure it was not as easy as i had imagined... Very Happy But I could not live with that doubt, so I asked. Anyway, it was a lame question and sometimes that type of question makes people angry... Im just glad it was not the case here, cause it was not my intention either.

This J2ME "feature" is annoying cause it turns undoable every solution thinkable for the "million little files" problem.

Btw Cristian, thanks for your efforts on MGMaps. Because of you, I have a map app that displays my city map with GPS support. Very Happy

CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian, I was thinking... The MSDict dictionaries for J2ME are pretty big (one of them has a .jar with 5MB). The dictionary data is split on many small files inside the .jar itself.

If the user is willing to remake the JAR file every time he wants to change/add maps, maybe you could add support for reading maps from withing .JAR. Most of the code is already there for reading offline maps.

However, I think, but I'm not sure, that reading files inside .JAR can "seek". So, I guess (if I'm correct) it will be possible to store 16/32/64/128 tiles on each file, store all files inside the .JAR and read them very fast.

Well, just an idea...

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
Cristian, I was thinking... The MSDict dictionaries for J2ME are pretty big (one of them has a .jar with 5MB). The dictionary data is split on many small files inside the .jar itself.

If the user is willing to remake the JAR file every time he wants to change/add maps, maybe you could add support for reading maps from withing .JAR. Most of the code is already there for reading offline maps.

However, I think, but I'm not sure, that reading files inside .JAR can "seek". So, I guess (if I'm correct) it will be possible to store 16/32/64/128 tiles on each file, store all files inside the .JAR and read them very fast.

Well, just an idea...

Does the 5MB jar work on your phone? I tried once a 1.5MB application (dictionary too) and it was very slow on my Nokia... And how many map tiles can you fit in 5MB? 200-300? With dictionary there's a good compression, but image files are already compressed...
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
Does the 5MB jar work on your phone? I tried once a 1.5MB application (dictionary too) and it was very slow on my Nokia... And how many map tiles can you fit in 5MB? 200-300? With dictionary there's a good compression, but image files are already compressed...

Yes, it does work very well. Inside the JAR file there are 163 database files of about 60K each.

Since map tiles can't be compressed, maybe the .JAR could be created using no compression.

But I have no idea about the maximum JAR file size. However, since JARs are actually ZIPs, they have "random access". In ZIP files it is possible to jump directly to any file.

Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: gMapMaker - Map Tile Downloader for Windows Reply with quote

We finally have a Windows GUI for downloading map tiles compatible with MGMaps. It's called gMapMaker, see http://forum.mgmaps.com/viewtopic.php?t=1116 for more details.
bk
MGMapper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have any maps they've already download of a particular region that they'd be willing to share....or is that against someone's TOS?
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bk wrote:
anyone have any maps they've already download of a particular region that they'd be willing to share....or is that against someone's TOS?

The map tiles are free to view but they are copyrighted images... I don't think it's legal to share them without their owner's permission.
shaunm
Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my K800i being slow. I have been a bit greedy with the entire UK in Zoom 0-14, plus Norfolk in 15-16.

It takes my phone 6 minutes and 38 seconds to switch on!!!

Also, I've tried zoom 15 GoogleSat images, but it give a plain white backround (instead of the mgpas logo grey backround.

Any suggestions? I've noticed that most of the files are 2k.

Thanks,

(P.S. I am really impressed with your programm Crisitan, so are my friends including my brother in law who paid £300 for his Sat Nav Laughing )
Cristian Streng
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaunm wrote:

Yes, use multiple tiles-per-file. This feature is not supported in gMapMaker yet, so you'll need to download the maps with the perl scripts, and a second problem is the fact that the phone can be quite slow when reading larger files, don't use more than 8 or 16 tiles per file.

Regards,
Cristian
user6300
Power User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristian Streng wrote:
shaunm wrote:

Yes, use multiple tiles-per-file. This feature is not supported in gMapMaker yet, so you'll need to download the maps with the perl scripts, and a second problem is the fact that the phone can be quite slow when reading larger files, don't use more than 8 or 16 tiles per file.

Regards,
Cristian

Smile

I use 32 tiles per file and it works great in my Nokia 6300 Smile

i am hoping that gMapMaker will have the multiple tile feature with simple folder structure soon Wink
shaunm
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

user6300 wrote:

i am hoping that gMapMaker will have the multiple tile feature with simple folder structure soon Wink

I'll second that!
CrazyTerabyte
Power User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new MGMaps 1.38.05 has a workaround for SonyEricsson phones (.skip() didn't work as expected or didn't work at all on these phones, like mine). So, finally, SonyEricsson users like me can use multiple tiles per file!

Now I'm using 16 tiles per file and I have both Map/Sat/Hyb stored on my memory card. The total file count is 1200, which is way lower than what I previously had (5100 files for just Map in 1 tile per file).

With 4 tiles per file, the speed is almost the same as 1 tile per file. With 16 tiles per file, I can notice a small delay of a second or two before loading each tile, but I can live with that.

A big thank you for Cristian!

(now I'm waiting for stored KML/KMZ files and displaying multiple KML/KMZ at same time)

asinha
MGMapper

Phone Type: Nokia E90

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Stored maps slows my phone - Solution exists Reply with quote

Team,

Problem: When you put the large number of files (such as 15000 or more) the files take a large disk size - a normal 150MB (in 15000 files) will grow to 2.0Gb.
Solution: To reduce this, you can choose to format your memory card with smaller allocation units. Reducing to 4kb will remove this problem.

New Problem: However, reducing the memory disk allocation units will significantly reduce the speed of the phone. Not only when you use mgmaps, but also when other applications with any link to memory card.

New solution: The solution lies in NOT formatting the memory card with smaller allocation units. LEAVE the allocation units to DEFAULT. In fact you do not even need to do anything to your disks to solve the problem. The solution is downloading multiple tiles into one file. Mgmaps - tile cache allows you to download multiple tiles into one file - thus by configuring the mgtilecache to download 64 tiles per file i ended up downloading the complete map of New Delhi + NCR - (this should do for the LARGEST cities of the world as the geo spread in this tile is about 90km x 90 km (55miles x 55 miles approx)

With the 64 tiles per file, I got each file size to be about 20mb to 40 mb - Now that reduced the speed of loading the file. So finally for me 32 tiles per file worked out with each file becoming about 10Mb to 18 mb. I have an E90 (me and my wife too) and have 4Gb of memory card. For me the 32 tiles per file is NICE way to get my stored maps working - no speed issues, no loading issues.

No credits to self - but all credits to the wonderful piece of work called mgmaps.

Let me know, if anyone has any problems in getting these settings running.

Alok Sinha
archibald
MGMapper

Phone Type: nokia 6680

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't think this has been addressed in this thread but apologies if it has...

i've made the mgmapscache folder hidden so now the gallery loading time is ok again. however, the thousands of tiles still appear in the gallery so it's a pain to find photos etc. is there a way to fix this?

love this app otherwise. really looking forward to the next updates and being able to export kml routes and draw a line of where i've been through. good work Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    MGMaps Forum Index -> Stored Maps All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: